Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

1987olds442's: Merged/Smart Hulk - The Professor pg33

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: 1987olds442's: Lex Luthor Pg15

Postby Illiasc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Love your customs Olds, and great looking Lex! The suit fits him very well, and I especially love the changes done to his face compared to what I know of the Orange Lantern's original head. He somehow seems much more professionally calm, yet still arrogant and up to no good.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Re: 1987olds442's: Lex Luthor Pg15

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 am

secondwhiteline wrote:Awesome Lex! You're right, the turtleneck really does make him look like a tool. Works perfectly.

Turtlenecks can have that affect on just about anyone :smlol:
Idiot Savant wrote:But he's a cool, tool...right? Excellent swap

Illiasc wrote:Love your customs Olds, and great looking Lex! The suit fits him very well, and I especially love the changes done to his face compared to what I know of the Orange Lantern's original head. He somehow seems much more professionally calm, yet still arrogant and up to no good.

Thank you very much :smsmile: The head was almost a complete repaint, and I also had to repair the head some as well. The one that I got actually had a slightly warped head I had to be grind off and sand a uneven section on the top of the head. I'm eventually going to repaint that Orange suit in somewhat traditional colors to displayed it like in this picture.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Atom Bob - Leader of the Strangers

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 am

A while back I started making some Ultraverse comic figures and this was my first those characters. Atom Bob (Bob Hardin) - Art student who gains the ability to rearrange matter on the molecular or atomic levels. The Strangers consisted of a group of random passengers on a cable car who were struck by what they believed to be a bolt of lightning, but was actually a "jumpstart": one of the bursts of energy emitted by the Entity from the Moon, which transformed them into "Ultras".

I recently decided to pulled Atom Bob off the shelf to do a little update his paint. I added some dry brushing to the red of his costume to smooth out the wash that I originally did to the figure. I also added a little more detail to his face. You can see my original Atom Bob here.

Atom Bob
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Electrocute

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 am

This was my second Ultraverse character, and Strangers teammate with Atom Bob. Electrocute is an android that gained sentience and the power to generate electricity in the Jumpstart event.

Electrocute was made mostly from a DCUC Crime Syndicate Superwoman with Mary Marvel's hair, and Star Sapphire lower legs. I had to re-sculpt the back to remove the huge cape peg on Superwoman, and I modded the waist and legs to try and reduce the square waist look on the DCUC females when the legs are posed. For the costume lines I used thin strips of styrene. I finished her up with a full paint job, and the lighting bolts were task but fun.

Electrocute
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Solitaire

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 am

My next character from the Ultraverse is Solitaire. Solitaire was kind of like Batman/Punisher/Weapon X mixed together. He was the son of a rich crime boss that fought against everything his father stood for as a masked crime fighter, and he had enhanced abilities from nanites in his body that made him faster, stronger, and much more resilient than the average man.

Solitaire was made from DCUC Black Hand and Legendary Comic Book Heroes Judge Dredd. The main body is the DCUC Black Hand's which worked out great with his two tone costume, I just had to re-sculpt the chest to get rid of the Black Lantern emblem. The arms and lower legs are from Judge Dredd. The hood is from a ML Bishop, the chest harness came from a ML Ultimate WWII Captain America, and the gun holster and the boot pouches are from a movie Nick Fury. I did take some liberties on the costume a little, but for the better in my opinion.

Solitaire
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: 1987olds442's: Lex Luthor Pg15 Ultraverse Characters Pg1

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Wow, these look great. I love Atom Bob in particular. The chest emblem looks immaculate!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Awesome customs! Clever repurposing of that OMAC body and you can hardly even tell Electrocute's head is the same one use for Superwoman. Impressive to say the least!
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby Tango X » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Tremendous job on all of these. I've never even heard of these guys but I'll be damned of they don't look great in figure form!!
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby HectorHall » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:00 am

Wildly impressed. Giving life to the Ultraverse in figure form, the paint details are so spot on. Very impressed with the electrical effects running down electrocutes leg. All three are so damn clean, all kinds of admiration for what you bring to the table.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby 1987olds442 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:41 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Wow, these look great. I love Atom Bob in particular. The chest emblem looks immaculate!

Thank you very much :smgrin: The emblem was intimidating at the time it was the first one that I ever painted.
OneNineSix wrote:Awesome customs! Clever repurposing of that OMAC body and you can hardly even tell Electrocute's head is the same one use for Superwoman. Impressive to say the least!

Thanks :smgrin: Well it's only Omac's arms and legs the main body is Johnny Quick, but those Omac parts worked perfectly. I was really happy with how Electrocute's head turned out, but I'm thinking of making an alternate big hair head as well. Back when I made her I was limited with the amount of fodder that I had.
Tango X wrote:Tremendous job on all of these. I've never even heard of these guys but I'll be damned of they don't look great in figure form!!

Thank you very much :smgrin: And that is why I'm making them to let people know about these cool comic characters from the 90's. I was a huge Ultraverse back in the 90's and I have almost ever book that they published.
HectorHall wrote:Wildly impressed. Giving life to the Ultraverse in figure form, the paint details are so spot on. Very impressed with the electrical effects running down electrocutes leg. All three are so damn clean, all kinds of admiration for what you bring to the table.

Thank you very much :smgrin: The costume designs for the Ultraverse characters translate great to action figures. I had to take some time to figure out those electric effect on her legs. I ended up sketching them in pencil, then yellow paint, and finally I went over the yellow with the gold paint. For my Strangers team I have both Grenade and Spectral in my WIP box, and I'm also working on a couple of Prime figures.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs