Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 am

Here is a little update on some Marvel Heads that I'm painting up for "The Amazing Spidey-Fan" from the Fwoosh forum. I have the flesh-tones finished and the the whites of the eyes and the lining around the eyes done. Now I need to paint the pupils, eyebrows, hair, and the goatees on the RDJ heads.
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Wow. Simply outstanding. These look like Hot Toys heads, olds. :bgthumbs:
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Whoa whoa whoa. Any chance you'll share your point app recipe with us? That looks superb. Were any of these heads cast in flesh resin? Some of them look so nice and glossy! :smgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:01 am

1987olds442 wrote:Here is a little update on some Marvel Heads that I'm painting up for "The Amazing Spidey-Fan" from the Fwoosh forum. I have the flesh-tones finished and the the whites of the eyes and the lining around the eyes done. Now I need to paint the pupils, eyebrows, hair, and the goatees on the RDJ heads.

Any chance you have a few heads for sale for your friendly neighborhood Webslinger to acquire?
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby 1987olds442 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 am

Princess_Amethyst wrote:Wow. Simply outstanding. These look like Hot Toys heads, olds. :bgthumbs:

Thanks :smgrin: The castings are actually shrunken Hot Toys heads. They came from Glassman Customs he does both shrinking and enlarging. But his castings can be a little rough and sometimes needs a little repairs.
AcidDragon wrote:Whoa whoa whoa. Any chance you'll share your point app recipe with us? That looks superb. Were any of these heads cast in flesh resin? Some of them look so nice and glossy! :smgrin:

To start off all of the heads from Glassman were cast in white resin, so for the base coat I use Model Masters Acryl "4603 Skin Tone Warm Tint". After the base coat is dry I mix that same base coat with some yellow and white for the lighter skin tones. When applying the lighter tones I try to leave a little of the base coat showing in the lower areas for shading effect. Oh for the lip color I just add a little red to that mix. To line the eyes I use .005 fine art pens for the top black and for the bottom I use a light red-ish brown to line the bottom. The first step is after the flesh-tones are done I use the black pen to line the top of the eye and then lightly apply a spray clear coat to seal it (Dupli-Color Auto Clear). Then I paint the whites of the eye with a sharpen toothpick, and after that is dry I line the bottom of the eye with the prismacolor pen ending with 182 below. When working on the eyes I do cheat a little I bought some 3x reading glasses for this kind of fine painting. :smrasp:

Webslinger wrote:Any chance you have a few heads for sale for your friendly neighborhood Webslinger to acquire?

Well these are for my friend over on the Fwoosh forums, but after getting a little more caught up on my commissions I could do some for you as well :smgrin:

Here is another quick update on the Movie-verse heads. I applied the first base coat for the hair to most of the heads. After that is done I'll start with the dry-brushing.

Last edited by 1987olds442 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:55 am

I was going to make a joke about all the heads but that would probably be inappropriate. Cool, though!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Templar Punk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Great job Olds.Those heads look great!
Templar Punk
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Webslinger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:17 pm

The wife really loves Robert Downey Jr. so I wanted to make her a custom and that head would work out perfectly.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Tango X » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Hey Webs, if you put the head on a suit body, that could be your "Tony Stark" and her custom "Robert Downey Jr. dressed for the Oscars". :batlol:
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Doctor Fate » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Cool Heads Olds ... Nicely Done and thanks for sharing how you do it. Very Informative! :)
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs