Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

I bought a classic Kyle head cast probably 2-3 years ago now,with the idea of making older costume. Just haven't felt like tackling the arms and legs. I'd think your best would be sculpting the gauntlets. For the legs maybe Cyclotron?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby wally2974 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 pm

We're thinking on the same wavelength, Packer. Lol. I have a few of those DC Universe/Green Lantern Kyle head casts also. I was thinking about using a Black Manta or John Stewart body, since they're mostly or all black, to begin with.....AND, I was also considering using the Cyclotron lower legs and feet, because of the uniquely shaped boot tops & feet. Just brainstorming and thinking about if I even want to tackle that involved of a custom.
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm

I wasn't crazy about the new X-23 body, so I decided to put a new one together for her. I put this together this morning to see if the parts would work.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Looks like they go together well...seems a tad on the tall side but works nonetheless. Can’t wait to see the final pics
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby 1987olds442 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:59 am

Yeah, she will a little taller than I would like. But the original body just isn't very well designed and very tough to pose.

I also swapped out the knees and boots with the original figure.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 pm

1987olds442 wrote:Yeah, she will a little taller than I would like. But the original body just isn't very well designed and very tough to pose.

I also swapped out the knees and boots with the original figure.

That's a great custom and thanks for putting this together and done quite well -- I may add here and you've did a good job painting olds ... :)
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Along with X-23 I have a few other figures I'm working on. One of which is updating the DC Multiverse Rebirth Superman.

First I wanted to swap out the head I wasn't crazy about the original head. So I fitted a casting of a Black Lantern Superman head that I got from casting cave some time back. The paint is still a work in progress, but so far I'm liking how it is looking.

Second was a change I wasn't planning on making. I ended up swapping the arms out with the Target exclusive Public Enemies Superman. I was working on customizing the PE Superman, but apparently its plastic degraded and the torso started to crumble. And then I noticed that the blues were pretty close to a perfect match, so now Rebirth Supes has bigger bulkier arms which look better on it to me.

Then I decided to check out the feet to see how they attach. I can't believe that Mattel designed/constructed them so close to the way that Hasbro does their pivoting feet, but they put the peg hole straight down. They were so close to giving us ankle pivots, but goofed it up. I drilled new angled holes in the feet and rounded down the edges some on the ankle pegs a little... Then working ankle pivots.

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Great idea! I never cared much for the Rebirth Supes Head; something really weird about it

Good mods with the feet and arms, but strange that your PE Supes just fell apart like that..was that the “shiny” one or standard one? Just curious
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 pm

It was the standard one. The back of the neck broke off just moving it which I fixed, but then I noticed that the top of the ab crunch broke off just crunching it forward. So the PE Superman isn't the Man of Steel, but instead the man of glass.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Hahahaha
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs