Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Remembering Old Comics from our Childhood

Talk comic books with other fans whether it's the latest New 52 material or some good old classics!

Re: Remembering Old Comics from our Childhood

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Dude, Secret Wars II was a whole lot of nothing but I did really enjoy the crazy amount of characters they packed into each issue like when Thing went to bat for the Beyonder as mentioned in my OP. Also kind of liked the interactions between Volcana and Molecule Man trying to have a normal life but most of it was pretty much just weird... Especially the interactions between Power Man/Iron Fist and the Beyonder. It was funny in a cringe-worthy sort of way but I guess it was Marvel's attempt at social commentary.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am

My two all-time favs from My Childhood is The Killing Joke (1st print) and The Death of Superman (1st print)! I have always loved them!

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Killing Joke defined the Joker from that point on..Truly brilliant on so many levels.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Not to mention the artwork featured in the Killing Joke, it was groundbreaking in my opinion. Probably some of the best artwork I've ever seen. I'd go as far as saying it was timeless and still holds up today. If you saw it, besides the very '80s looking palette, you wouldn't think that it was from 3 decades prior.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 am

HectorHall wrote:Killing Joke defined the Joker from that point on..Truly brilliant on so many levels.

This is so indeed true!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 am

AcidDragon wrote:Not to mention the artwork featured in the Killing Joke, it was groundbreaking in my opinion. Probably some of the best artwork I've ever seen. I'd go as far as saying it was timeless and still holds up today. If you saw it, besides the very '80s looking palette, you wouldn't think that it was from 3 decades prior.

Yep, I know what your saying dude. Heck yeah I saw it AcidDragon, I still got it, it is one of My most prized comics of all!

Same thing with The Death of Superman, this was so great to Me back then, I remember My Grandma getting it for Me over @ the defuct Ventures Department store back then. Being at such a young age I loved Doomsday getting everybody! Oh such a great book :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby DTW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

All I can think about now is how the "Smile" in that Killing Joke cover word balloon is missing a period.
DTW
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 am

DTW wrote:All I can think about now is how the "Smile" in that Killing Joke cover word balloon is missing a period.

Yep, interesting, ain't it :?:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby faustX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm

I grew up in the 90's so I read about a thousand 'First Amazing Issue!'s from Image. A couple of the lesser known favorites of mine from that era were Troll and Newmen, both of which were D-list Liefeld books. They were really fun though. One that was actually really good though was SuperPatriot, which came from the House of Larsen.
Image Image
faustX
Civilian
Civilian

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 pm

That troll cover might be one of Leifelds most anatomically accurate covers ever, lol. God he's awful.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics