Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Beware the Batman Cancelled??

Discuss your favourite DC movies and TV shows here like Arrow, Man of Steel, Watchmen, RED, Young Justice and more!

Re: Beware the Batman

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Young Justice is probably one of my favourite shows of all time, not just animated superhero stuff, but overall. :smgrin:

It took a while to pick up steam, but the 'invasion' storyline was fantastic. It was like New teen Titans quality. Plus, Black Beetle??!!! That show was hard!!! Too bad........
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Beware the Batman, to me, seems kind of like Brave and the Bold, minus the warmth and off-kilter humor. I'm not really a fan of CN's cheap-o CGI, although I'll admit it doesn't annoy me as much here as it did on Green Lantern. And the voice cast - especially the guy who's voicing Alfred - is pretty solid. Something about the show just seems a little "off" to me.

Probably the "been there, done that" feeling I get. Brave and the Bold felt kind of fresh, considering that it was a goofy Batman 'toon when the shows beforehand had been pretty serious. BTB is just like Batman: The Animated Series with a little bit of a spy vibe to it.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Anarky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:23 am

Actually, it reminds me a bit of death note too.
Anarky
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Crazy Jetty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am

Beware has good and bad to it.

The Bad:

CGI- This really needs to be abandoned as a platform for animation. It just does not work, and to date, the *only* series to pull it off well is Clone Wars. And that's because the SW people could just throw gobs and gobs of money at the animators to keep the universe full and vibrant, instead of dead and empty like TF Prime. Beware has picked up a little bit, but it still feels like a ghosttown. And that is 100% due to budget restrictions.

Villains- Okay, I get that they don't want to use Batman's main rogues, to make this series different and fresh from what we've seen before. However, they have so fare done some horrible choices. And launching the series with that pig and toad duo? Could they have chosen a more boring villain, and a more boring potrayal of that villain? Nothing against his voice actor (Because it does fit the character well), but that voice and the way it's presented is JUST BORING. (And that's what they use to advertize the series, too!). Plus, the frog guy is like... one of the worst things they could do. Mutants/animal people are sort of out of place with Batman to start with, and one of the potential appeals of this series is that it looks like it could be a much more realistic take on Batman. More akin to Nolen than BatB. Starting out with a talking frog man is just jarring.

Katana- Nothing against the character, and in this series she's been handled well. However, I still feel there are a dozen other characters relevent to Batman that would or could have been much more fitting. Chief one of them being Huntress. She could have easily been reimagined and worked in the exact same role, with virtually the same background as they gave Katana. Plus, she's not well known outside of Batman or comic fans, so she fits in using lesser known characters.

The Good:

Storytelling- The story they tell hasn't been that interesting so far (Though it's picking up), but it's the way they're telling it that intrigues me. This is the first batman animated series that has used a continuing story arc. Each episode featuring an A plot, and a B plot. The A plot is the focus of the episode and stands on it's own. Accessible without watching the whole series. The B plot though is an overall arc spreading across all episodes.
This has a lot of potential.

Voice Acting- The voice cast is remarkable (I would expect no less from Andrea Romano!), and all voices so far are perfect for the characters.

And for the Art style was extremely jarring at first, with Alfred taking the biggest leap. However I've gotten use to it and it's no longer as bad.

All that said, it's a horrible replacement for Young Justice and Green Lantern. I know this series isn't responcible for GL and YJ's cancellation, as it would have been in developement well before they pulled the plug on them. But it has to carry the "DC Nation" now, and so far it's the weakest batman series.
I'd have much preferred a Batman series following the YJ batman.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 am

Heh, finally caught the pilot episode of this show. It's the first time I've ever watched this show. It wasn't bad. Not in love with it but perhaps that could change over time. I wasn't crazy about Brave and the Bold initially, either, but that grew to become one of my favourite series so I'll give this a chance and keep watching. :batgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm

It's not a bad show, they just need to add a few guest heroes and show some more of Batman's villains besides Anarchy, Prof. Pig and Mr. Toad... :batwink:
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm

I saw episode two tonight. It had Magpie. I have to say, they really did a great job revamping her look and character. To me, it looks tremendously better than her old Dr. Badvibes look. Also the story was pretty decent.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beware the Batman Cancelled??

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 am

And just when I was getting into the show. :batsad:

Link to Article
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beware the Batman Cancelled??

Postby Crazy Jetty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 am

Eh. No big loss, unlike GL and YJ
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Re: Beware the Batman Cancelled??

Postby Avalon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 am

Ah crud. Why can't these shows last longer? I saw the one where Anarky debuted and the one where Katana saves the geek from Silver Monkey. I kind of like her character now.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

PreviousNext

Return to DC TV Shows/Movies