Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Necessary Evil - Super-Villains of DC Comics

Discuss your favourite DC movies and TV shows here like Arrow, Man of Steel, Watchmen, RED, Young Justice and more!

Necessary Evil - Super-Villains of DC Comics

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Hey guys, is anyone going to pick up this documentary coming out from DC? It's called Necessary Evil - Super-Villains of DC Comics. It looks pretty awesome. I see that they touch on villains like Superboy Prime, Anton Arcane, Joker, Black Adam, Lex Luthor, etc. and it features interviews with Geoff Johns, Len Wein, Guillermo del Toro, Andrea Romano, Kevin Conroy, Clancy Brown, etc. with narration by Christopher Lee!! It comes out on both DVD and Blu-Ray Disc on October 25, 2013. I'm absolutely going to have pick up a copy. I love stuff like this.

dc-necessary-evil.jpg

To be honest, sometimes I find myself watching all those long special features like Identity Crisis, The Justice League, Under the Red Hood Preview, The Justice League New Frontier Preview, etc. several times over so this is right up my alley... Here's the official trailer for it for anyone interested:

Link to a page with info and videos on DC Comics' website:
Link
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Necessary Evil - Super-Villains of DC Comics

Postby S. Griffin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Didn't know about this. Just added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks. I love stuff like this, too.

They talk to Kevin Conroy...I hope they talk to Mark Hamill. I love Nicholson and Ledger or Romero all pretty much equally, but nobody played the Joker as perfectly as him.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hamill will be involved. His Joker is iconic and it'd be a shame if for whatever reason, he wasn't in it. To this day, I don't think anyone has been able to top him. Funny, though, I know Billy West was trying to go for something similar in Under the Red Hood, but anyone else think that he actually sounded more like Mark Hamill's voice when he does voice work under his regular speaking voice?
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crazy Jetty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:03 pm

I agree. Hamill *is* the quentissential Joker that all others should be compaired to.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby S. Griffin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:07 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hamill will be involved. His Joker is iconic and it'd be a shame if for whatever reason, he wasn't in it. To this day, I don't think anyone has been able to top him. Funny, though, I know Billy West was trying to go for something similar in Under the Red Hood, but anyone else think that he actually sounded more like Mark Hamill's voice when he does voice work under his regular speaking voice?

John DiMaggio was Joker in Under the Red Hood, and I don't think he sounded like Hamill at all...regular voice or otherwise.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm

S. Griffin wrote:John DiMaggio was Joker in Under the Red Hood, and I don't think he sounded like Hamill at all...regular voice or otherwise.

Oh yeaaaah. That's right. It was John DiMaggio. I was thinking Futurama and for some reason, I remembered the wrong name. Really, hrm, I'll have to give it another watch. It's been a while. I might be remembering the voice incorrectly. I thought he sounded like Mark Hamill when he was on the Wrong Coast. :batconfused:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 pm

This looks like a must have for my collection. Nice find!

@Acid I don't think that's actually Mark's real speaking voice you're thinking of, but I remember the Wrong Coast. It was a really bad Canadian stop motion comedy and DiMaggio's Joker does actually remind me of Mark's deliberately whiny voice he did for the male host.
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby Crazy Jetty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Honestly, Kevin Michael Richards wasn't a bad joker. He was a pretty decent replacement for Hamill, and of everyone I can think of, has been the absolute closest to the level and quality of Hamill's performance.
He also went in his own direction at the same time, putting a new spin on it. His voice fit The Batman's Joker's design very well. But I think if push came to shove, he could do a really good immitation of Hamill's performance, too.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby S. Griffin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Troy Baker who's playing the Joker in Arkham Origins is doing an obvious Mark Hamill impression and a great one at that. He's obviously not Hamill twenty-two years ago, but judging from the clips I've found on youtube, he sounds damn good as a younger version of Hamill's older Joker from Asylum and City.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 pm

My copy ships tomorrow from Amazon. I can’t wait. I would’ve gotten a copy with Arkham Origins if I bought the special edition but it’s only the DVD version on the XBox 360 version so I just got the standard version of AO. Sony gets the Blu-ray, though. Way to screw the customers and yourselves out of a bigger sale. Heh.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to DC TV Shows/Movies