Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

DC Multiverse

Mattel got its feet wet in the 3.75" market with Infinite Heroes initially with figures inspired by the Crisis on Infinite Earths cross-over, later adding figures from Public Enemies, modern Teen Titans and more. Fast forward to 2013, they're going to try their hand at 3.75" again. This time promising a much higher quality product in the DC Multiverse Toyline!

Re: DC Multiverse

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 am

Hey guys, going to go ahead and merge this. :batwink:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Freddie: » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 am

The success Hasbro is having with their Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Avengers 4 inch scaled movie lines has to be why these aren't 6 inch. Mattel will essentially be following the same formula Hasbro is, the only difference is that DC had successful superhero movies in the 70's & 80's and Marvel is successful now. I get that Batman 66 is doing well but I guess they don't want to try $20 6 inch figures anymore since Mattel couldn't sell the DCUC, DC All Stars and then DC/Batman Unlimited, regardless of what we think the reasons for the failure was. You see DC Unlimited as too many Injustice figures. Mattel sees DC Unlimited as a 6 inch scale line they couldn't sell to retailers, something they have had a hard time doing since wave 20 of DCUC.

I said it on the Matty boards and I'll say it again here; management has to be looking at the failure of the 4H figures as a barometer of the market overall, even if 4H and Movie Masters aren't the same in our eyes. They wouldn't move forward with two packs on Matty because the Young Justice line 2 pack (Superboy & Miss Martian) didn't meet the number of preorders. Granted the fans see them as different lines because of the animated heads, Mattel just sees 6 inch scale DC two packs that didn't have a large enough market.

I have only ever seen the 6 inch Superman Movie Masters at retail once and never again, not one single peg warmer in the line??!?!?! How is THAT possible? It must mean that retailers ordered them in very light numbers. I wouldn't want that type of "distribution" for a classic line like this. Movie Masters must not have a clean enough sell through for Mattel to pursue doing these in a 6 inch scale.
Freddie:
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby S. Griffin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 am

Does Hasbro actually have 4" scale figures? Last time I checked most of them were actually 3 3/4" scale (the rest being 6"). From what I was able to ascertain at SDCC by looking at the figures (both Mattel and Hasbro) and asking questions of people from Mattel's retail team, the Multiverse line is supposed to be actual 4" scale, and are larger than what Hasbro primarly releases for GI Joe, Star Wars, and Marvel. Even if 6" really was struggling across the board, it seems weird to put these out in what is basically a new or at least rarely done scale (not just for Mattel but for anybody). Also, we all know by now that what one person or even a few people see (or don't see) on the pegs isn't necessarily what others see or what is the norm: By that logic the fact that I saw regular turnaround of the MOS Movie Masters for well over a month at my local Target and Walmart stores must mean that they were ordered in pretty good numbers and sold well.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby Tango X » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 pm

IKR? I don't get this. Why do they have to make it in a scale that doesn't work with other common scales? I know Hasbro is their competition but I think being able to mix your DC with your Marvel, GI Joe and Star Wars would be pretty cool and would definitely increase my chances of buying into this line. Also that I can swap accessories and stuff would be cool too. GI Joe and Star Wars has lots of cool vehicles and sets I could use for DC dios. The IH figs were too short. Now these are too tall. :smroll:
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Avalon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Stamp Zod looks amazing. I have a mix of everything so I don't mind that this isn't in 6" although that's my preferred scale!!
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Cringer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 pm

I will be getting these figures. I didnt think I would, but seeing them revealed, I think they all look cool.

Especially the movie figures, I hope they keep doing more of these.
Also, I havent given up hope that Mattel may still make Keaton Batman or Reeves Superman in 6 inch scale. As we know they are continuing with the 66' Batman line in 6 inch scale. And it does seem Mattel has rights to any and all characters from past DC Movies. I think we will see some more 6 inch Movie Masters on Matty at least, but maybe even retail.

The one thing that concerns me though, is I read on The Fwoosh, that The Multiverse line was for all DC things "NON COMIC"

Meaning the Multiverse figures would only be figures of DC characters from their looks in Video Games, Movies, or TV shows.

I really hope that isnt true. Id love some Classic and New 52 3.75 inch figures in this Multiverse line.
Cringer
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Avalon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

6" versions would be awesome. I think I saw somewhere that these were going to be non-comic related and only games and movies? Or did I imagine that? :batconfused:
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Anarky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 pm

When multiverse was announced at sdcc, they said comics based figures were a possibility.
Anarky
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Webslinger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:32 am

I'll be getting that Mr. Freeze for sure, maybe a Batman... They do look fairly decent, but I don't really do a lot of video game stuff. if the line goes more comic related then I'm in...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Rex Mason » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:42 pm

The new movie figures looks awesome, but like everyone else is saying, the scale is so silly. I understand the desire to save money with less plastic, but if the figures don't sell, what's the point?

We have 5 inch versions of these Burton characters (although not anywhere this nice, obviously). What everyone wanted was 6 inch. I personally would love to display Adam West through Christian Bale eras of Batman on my shelf. (Heck, I'd even like serial versions of Batman.)

I won't be able to pass these up when they're out in stores (I'll pass on Superman and Zod, but not the Batmen), but I'm always going to look at them as good figures that could have been perfect if Mattel had just listened to us. As it is, I don't know if I'd buy a Kilmer or Clooney, where at 6 inch, I'd instantly buy them even though I didn't care for those movies.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to DC Universe 3.75" Scale Lines from Mattel