Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

If you could have gotten Mattel to listen to you . . .

Discuss the ever popular character comprehensive line "DC Universe Classics" here! This also includes DC Superheroes, DC Universe Classics, DC Unlimited, Batman Unlimited, Club Infinite Earths, Movie Masters, 1966 Batman TV Series, Club Black Freighter, Total Heroes and any other DC figure line utilizing the 6" scale.

Re: If you could have gotten Mattel to listen to you . . .

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 am

Lmfao!!!! As long as they were never allowed to get near a microphone!
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Avalon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 am

I think they probably just made some bad design choices like not using universal pegs, etc. Like having to make all new hands for suits because they have different pegs but the hands look the same is stupid and if it was caught early on, probably would have saved millions if it in fact costs an Audi S4 to give Ra's new hands.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:00 am

Would probably make it easier on customizers, too, if they used universal pegs. :batwink:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby loolar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Management decision #1 - A buck system that's actually a buck system
Universal head and hand joints for all figures, with head and hand swaps planned from the beginning. Once this is done, including fists and open hands as extras is easy; extra heads for different looks is easy. What the suits don't recognize is that while an Aquaman (wave 2) includes a lot of parts that can never be re-used, you don't stick it to your collectors by making them buy that body twice. You include the swapped head in the package, and then, guess what - they buy two anyway, but don't feel like you ::expected:: them to.

There were a number of waves that "double-dipped" an expensive mold like Aquaman, Terminator, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, and Robin - but this should have been balanced with either variants that were separate characters (Artemis), or in-package part swaps (everyone else, although I suppose Joseph has gauntlets, too). I understand the desire to recoup costs, but that's why you plan them in a wave with a character(s) that re-uses the bucks.

Decision #2
Create a wave architecture. Every wave should have included some expected element - a JLA, JSA, Teen Titan, Villain, etc. Then add some "wild card" slots for one-off characters like Jonah Hex (whom I love). Up until wave 17 there was always a feeling that you could get someone you love. Imagine if every wave had:
JLA
JSA / All-Star Squadron
LOSH
Villain
Teen Titan
Wild Card
Team Builder

Note that the Teen Titan slot or JLA slot could just as easily be a villain specific to them.

Decision #3 - A-list Anchors
Every wave needed an A-lister; more specifically, every wave should have had a Superman or Batman variant. DCUC should have been an extension of DCSH, which was based on Supes and Bats. I know many waves had Bats/Supes, but there are still variants we never got (the all blue Bats, the light blue Supes) that were easy repaints, and it would have made it easy for kids and collectors to jump into the line at any time, and keeps something on the shelves for Moms. I would say you could skip a wave here and there, so long as it was anchored with another big gun like Green Lantern or Wonder Woman. No Bats/Supes from 7-9; none from 10-15 (villains aside). Based on the fact that Batzarro sold out on BBTS when we still thought there would be a sub, based on how many people are Bats-only, I think this absence hurt the line.

Decision #4 - Manage the obscure.
I love the obscure characters, make no mistake. I just think they could have been managed better. Spread out into the "wild card" slot, or a better job of attaching them to primary characters, or introducing them in two packs - Killer Moth vs. Batman, for example.

I love the Super Friends figures; I could have done without the Super Powers retreads. I think those could have been done, but differently (see #6).

Decision #5 - Be sensible with the costume variant.
If there's a character that had two major looks (Zatanna, Changeling, Star Sapphire), either make them a two pack, or include the variant in the wave. In some cases, like the Teen Titans, the looks needed to be directed by what was the most acclaimed and visible run - the Wolfman-Perez run of the 80's. Modern looks or silver age looks could have been excellent con-exclusives, which brings me to my next one...

Decision #6 - Work the Cons.
Comics have two major cons - SDCC and NYCC - but there are a number of other large cons throughout the year. He-Man does a great job of leveraging the visibility of cons; DCUC should have done the same. Imagine a con exclusive twice a year (at least). This is when they should have done a Golden Pharaoh or Cyclotron or Kamandi - as a con exclusive that would have been neat from a comic and toy history perspective, but not taken a slot from a more widely desired character.

Decision #7 - Involve the Fans.
There should have been a subscription fan club years ago, with an exclusive figure (even if it's a repaint), and the chance to vote on what the Matty Collector exclusive two packs would be. Float a list of approved characters and let the voting begin. Literally a license to print money. Instead of guessing what we want - just ask.
loolar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Havok1891 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 pm

loolar wrote:Management decision #1 - A buck system that's actually a buck system
Universal head and hand joints for all figures, with head and hand swaps planned from the beginning. Once this is done, including fists and open hands as extras is easy; extra heads for different looks is easy. What the suits don't recognize is that while an Aquaman (wave 2) includes a lot of parts that can never be re-used, you don't stick it to your collectors by making them buy that body twice. You include the swapped head in the package, and then, guess what - they buy two anyway, but don't feel like you ::expected:: them to.

There were a number of waves that "double-dipped" an expensive mold like Aquaman, Terminator, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, and Robin - but this should have been balanced with either variants that were separate characters (Artemis), or in-package part swaps (everyone else, although I suppose Joseph has gauntlets, too). I understand the desire to recoup costs, but that's why you plan them in a wave with a character(s) that re-uses the bucks.

Decision #2
Create a wave architecture. Every wave should have included some expected element - a JLA, JSA, Teen Titan, Villain, etc. Then add some "wild card" slots for one-off characters like Jonah Hex (whom I love). Up until wave 17 there was always a feeling that you could get someone you love. Imagine if every wave had:
JLA
JSA / All-Star Squadron
LOSH
Villain
Teen Titan
Wild Card
Team Builder

Note that the Teen Titan slot or JLA slot could just as easily be a villain specific to them.

Decision #3 - A-list Anchors
Every wave needed an A-lister; more specifically, every wave should have had a Superman or Batman variant. DCUC should have been an extension of DCSH, which was based on Supes and Bats. I know many waves had Bats/Supes, but there are still variants we never got (the all blue Bats, the light blue Supes) that were easy repaints, and it would have made it easy for kids and collectors to jump into the line at any time, and keeps something on the shelves for Moms. I would say you could skip a wave here and there, so long as it was anchored with another big gun like Green Lantern or Wonder Woman. No Bats/Supes from 7-9; none from 10-15 (villains aside). Based on the fact that Batzarro sold out on BBTS when we still thought there would be a sub, based on how many people are Bats-only, I think this absence hurt the line.

Decision #4 - Manage the obscure.
I love the obscure characters, make no mistake. I just think they could have been managed better. Spread out into the "wild card" slot, or a better job of attaching them to primary characters, or introducing them in two packs - Killer Moth vs. Batman, for example.

I love the Super Friends figures; I could have done without the Super Powers retreads. I think those could have been done, but differently (see #6).

Decision #5 - Be sensible with the costume variant.
If there's a character that had two major looks (Zatanna, Changeling, Star Sapphire), either make them a two pack, or include the variant in the wave. In some cases, like the Teen Titans, the looks needed to be directed by what was the most acclaimed and visible run - the Wolfman-Perez run of the 80's. Modern looks or silver age looks could have been excellent con-exclusives, which brings me to my next one...

Decision #6 - Work the Cons.
Comics have two major cons - SDCC and NYCC - but there are a number of other large cons throughout the year. He-Man does a great job of leveraging the visibility of cons; DCUC should have done the same. Imagine a con exclusive twice a year (at least). This is when they should have done a Golden Pharaoh or Cyclotron or Kamandi - as a con exclusive that would have been neat from a comic and toy history perspective, but not taken a slot from a more widely desired character.

Decision #7 - Involve the Fans.
There should have been a subscription fan club years ago, with an exclusive figure (even if it's a repaint), and the chance to vote on what the Matty Collector exclusive two packs would be. Float a list of approved characters and let the voting begin. Literally a license to print money. Instead of guessing what we want - just ask.

Wow, Loolar I love all that stuff! Excellent ideas!

Though I will say that Teen Titan focus should have been more favorable to modern times with gradual work towards the Wolfman era. I just think they should have been working on what was current and thrown occasional "vintage" stuff out there as a treat to keep die hard old school fans frothing at the mouth, does that make sense?

I think stuff like Cyclotron would have been great SDCC material.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 am

Yea, guys like cyclotron, and golden pharaoh should of been exclusives. They died on the shelves.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 am

Great examples, Loolar...if I ever start an action figure company, I'm calling on you. If Mattel had one of you with your ideas on staff, we'd still have the DCUC figs to collect...just saying Mattel!

There's so many figures that "died" on the pegs towards the end, and that has to do with the fact that most people had no clue who most of those characters are and outside of the BAF pieces, there was no other reason for people to pay the rising costs for characters they don't know.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 am

If I could've got Mattel to listen, my topics would be thus:

1) more accessories
2) stop raising prices for figs with less accessories/tooling
3) make new body parts and minimize the reuse; makes them more appreciated throughout the run
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Havok1891 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Also, I wish they'd have explored the C&C concept with standard size figures. Golden Pharaoh and others may have worked that way too.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Havok1891 wrote:Also, I wish they'd have explored the C&C concept with standard size figures. Golden Pharaoh and others may have worked that way too.

Yeah, Metamorpho the Elemental Man was a good example that it's doable. :smgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to DC Universe Classics and Assorted 6" Scale from Mattel