Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Pro Wrestling Topics!

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Pro Wrestling Topics!

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 am

I watched NoC at a friend's, and it was a thoroughly solid PPV, with at least one truly excellent match (Cesaro/Sheamus, who should really form a respect-through-violence tag team), and one awesome moment in Ambrose's return. And they really had me going with all the end shenanigans, too - the MitB cash-in tease was awesome. All the other matches were either good or at least advanced some form of story. Although I have no idea what they're aiming for with the AJ/Paige story, or who we're supposed to be cheering, and I don't think they know either.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:58 am

I missed the old days of Wrestling and I just find today's wrestling not my cup of tea. I used to like TNA, not anymore and having their TV deal with SPIKE being terminated - I find that Wrestling Faction a dying breed. I don't watch RAW and SMACKDOWN anymore because I just can't stand it anymore.

I miss WCW's Clash of the Champions and good ole days of NWA ... I'm a huge Sting Fan and I was shocked to see Undertaker's streak was snapped at Wrestlemania. To me, that's was the most shocking thing that I ever heard in my life and I was stunned by Vince's decision to do this.

I watched PRO WRESTLING faithfully from 1987 to 2013, after 2013 ... I quit.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Skullmaster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:34 pm

I still watch wrestling but I'm leaning more towards the old stuff on tape. Something special about popping in a static damaged tape. Old WCW was pretty special. Even the no name jobbers had a theme song and were treated on TV with some kind of "even our jobbers are special" style. Old WCW/NWA, every other match was some kind of crazy gimmick and I loved it. Their old PPV commercials were the best! Remember "Spin the Wheel, Make a Deal" for Halloween Havoc??

For your viewing pleasure to prepare you for Halloween...
Skullmaster
Partner
Partner

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Jobber matches could really stand to make a comeback. It lessens the number of big matches you give away on TV, helps establish new guys and reestablish guys who've taken losses, and can seriously bolster smaller divisions (the Divas division would be perfect for this, instead of having a half-dozen wrestlers trading wins all the time). It also provides some decent scouting opportunities. And with THREE HOURS of Raw every week to fill, it really would help prevent a lot of people from getting overexposed.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Illiasc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for the vid. That's awesome, man! See that's what I love about the old American ones - All the showy intros, gimmicks, and even themed matches for special times of the year.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Haha I love jobbers! There was honestly a time where you could remember most of their names because they had so many TV appearances. Iron Mike Sharpe. Reno Riggins (I loved this guy because he did the handspring elbow that Great Muta is so famous for), Barry Horowitz (who later became a name), WHO(Jim Neidhart), Aldo Montoya (Justin Credible), Matt Bourne (Doink the Clown), Virgil, Lightning Kid who later became X-Pac/123 Kid, Dwayne Gill who later became Gillberg, the Hardy Boyz who later became famous, Jimmy Powers (who had some fame), the Armstrong Brothers (Brian became Roaddogg), Steve Blackman who later became famous and perhaps the most famous jobber of all, the Brooklyn Brawler aka MVP aka Abe Knuckleball Schwartz. As you said, secondwhiteline, jobbers were a great way to scout for talent!

Oh and Red Tyler. I remember this guy because of his bloody jobber tag match where he teamed with Virgil to take on the Headshrinkers and he took a superkick from either Fatu or Samu (or maybe both) but it busted his face open. :smgasp:
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 am

Anybody see Hell in the Cell on the Network? IMO it was a so-so PPV. The Ambrose-Rollins match made up for the whole show though, possibly the match of the year IMO!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 am

I wanted the WWE Royal Rumble on the WWE Network on Sunday (A good but not great event) and I was surprised about 2 MOTU things that I noticed and wanted to share it with you guys in case you wanted the event and didn't notice them or maybe not and wanted to see it anyway. Take a gander @ the pics:)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Doctor Fate » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:28 am

Doctor Fate's Top Ten Wrestlers of All Time
WCW/WWF/WWE

1) Hulk Hogan

2) Sting

3) Road Warrior Hawk

4) Road Warrior Animal

5) Stone Cold Steve Austin

6) Bret "The Hit Man" Hart

7) Ric Flair

8) The Undertaker

9) Ultimate Warrior and Randy "Macho Man" Savage (tied)

10) The Rock
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 pm

The Nature Boy needs to be no lower than #2. I can accept Hogan for the entertainment side, but besides that...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc