Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

SDCC Tips n Tricks

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

SDCC Tips n Tricks

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:35 am

Hi gang!

In a week and a half I will be in sunny California attending my first SDCC...I've been to many other Wizard, C2E2 and smaller cons so I know what to expect, but never been to one the size of a city before.

I have had a list made up of booths to visit, to swag to get, items to travel with, comics to sign and odds and ends; any help is appreciated.

Just wondering if I could get some tips and whatnots from this panel of awesomeness, that is this site.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Re: SDCC Tips n Tricks

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I was there over 20 years ago.......it was overwhelming then.

Line-ups to get in are long--arrive early--be prepared to wait. All those previous cons will NOT compare. SDCC is an animal all it's own. Bring water, bring a snack/sandwich.
Once inside, my advice is to follow a plan to cover the floor and stick to it. One single sweep of the floor can take TWO HOURS or more. Stick to your plan--if you start "pin-balling" around as stuff catches your eye, you will miss stuff. Do one sweep, then reverse it and take slower, closer looks at things from the first pass.
If you go to panels.........afterwards return back to the spot you were last at on your sweep and continue. It will keep you sane.

TAKE BREAKS. Find a corner, sit down, stretch out.......relax. Drink, eat. close your eyes. Soak it all in. SDCC is a mega-event-it'll suck the energy out of you if you let it. Have fun!
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby Webslinger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:12 am

I have to agree with Ken, great advice by the way Ken!!! I couldn't have given any better.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Ken Davis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 am

More advice: if you are set on swag--forget about touring until swag has been had, because line-ups for swag will be psychotic. Depending on how they release the stuff, go for the most desired item first. Understand how the traffic patterns work inside the hall, booths with swag that are closest to the entrance doors will be swamped first. Those furthest away should..........SHOULD tend to have smaller lines, BUT it depends on the booth and the offering.

A tip: if you figure you are going to get a lot of stuff, and be hauling around numerous swag bags---aside from a back pack--get yourself some of those plastic shopping bag hand-saddles. They let you carry multiple shopping bags and not take too much wear & tear on your hands. If SDCC offers lockers to stash stuff--take advantage of them. Go as hands free as possible.

One last thing: when approaching celebs or artists, fight being star-struck. Talk to them like they are human beings. They LOVE that. Have something "human" to say.
Address them formally at first, and let them offer to be on "first names". Offer your first name in return.
You'd be surprised how few people get offered that privilege.
The person just ahead of you in line might be a boor, who just thrusts something in the celeb's face to sign and walks off. ( seen this happen a LOT). Smile, greet them, look them right in the eyes. Be warm. ( a trick: try squatting down in front of the table when you get to them, so you are on their eye-level--if the table is on the floor. It allows the guest to "dominate" and can make them more receptive to you. If there's no-one else around, it can invite an extended conversation)
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Fantastic advice Ken; thanks a bunch!

As far as exclusives go: I'm not too keen on them so I'll be looking up older and harder to find items from previous SDCC's as well as just regular comics and toys in general.

I would like to hit a panel or two, so that's some good stuff there too, thanks.

I never eat con food...I always carry snacks and H2O; not paying $15 for a dog and water

The advice on the sweep is spot on and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Rattrap96 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:42 am

I would also add that when you're done talking to the celebrity or artist,always thank them for taking the time out of their busy schedule to come here.
Rattrap96
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:36 am

Their busy schedule..what about mine?!?!?

Thanks for the tip Rattrap
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Return to General Discussions