Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Steven Universe

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Steven Universe

Postby Tango X » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:12 pm

StevenFinalPoster.jpg

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys think of this show. I just started watching it. It's silly but I kind of like it. It's different.
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Re: Steven Universe

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 pm

I've PVRed a few episodes. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I watched a few episodes. It's nothing AT ALL like what I expected and I mean that in a good way. I thought for SURE from the commercials that it was going to be some stupid lewd cartoon about a fat slob pervert booger boy who's a selfish jerk who got superpowers by chance and is loathed by these girls akin to a lot of what's already out there. Instead, what I got was a really fun cute unique cartoon with interesting stories and really fun characters. I'm really enjoying it. A pleasant surprise. :batsmile:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skullmaster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi I like this show. The characters are surprisingly interesting. It's not exactly a complex show by any means but like you guys have said it's "fun". Also the animation is kind of simple but there's a nice flow to it and I like the colors. I think the promo commercial didn't do a very good job of letting us know what to expect. I had initial negative expectations for this show as well because of it. I'm not sure if this actually made the show seem better than it is but I do like what I've seen so far.
Skullmaster
Partner
Partner

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:03 pm

It's good! The characters are memorable, the look is really nice and engaging, the tone is generally sweet-natured, and it's funny. If more cartoons are gonna be influenced by Adventure Time, we might be heading into the best era for TV toons since the early/mid-90s.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Crazy Jetty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58 am

It's actually has a surprising sweetness to it. I also like that the other characters don't consider Steven to be annoying or a bourdon, and actually enjoy his company.

And i really do like the extremely positive message it has. Loved the line: "If every porkchop was perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs." Silly as it is, its a really positive motto.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

That's exactly it - I was expecting more of a Home Alone-style annoyance with Steven. But they LIKE the kid. When they ignore him, it's because they're wrapped up in their own lives and responsibilities, and even then, one of Steven's virtues is to remind them how important it is for all of them to just sit down and spend time with each other. It's got that very calm, peaceful Adventure Time-style perspective on the weirdness of life, even though the events themselves are crazy.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah I was pretty much expecting them to groan about how much they hate the kid and how disgusting and annoying he was but that never really came across. They're concerned about him, care for him, hang out with him, etc. I really like that vibe. Even with the porkchops/hotdogs episode when there was a hint of some degree of annoyance with him at the start, you quickly see that a lot of it is out of concern and not genuine loathing and disgust. I've only seen four episodes so far but I've enjoyed all of them and quickly learned their family dynamic. Every episode has been a different fun experience with the same familiar characters. I think I'll be PVRing this regularly.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I wanna punch Steven in the face... :batwink:
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Tango X » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Webslinger wrote:I wanna punch Steven in the face... :batwink: