Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My coaster projects.

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

My coaster projects.

Postby Havok1891 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 am

Well, I am trying to make coasters (got the idea from people selling them at a convention). What do you think of the first attempt? Any ideas on characters you'd like to see next? Got a Nightcrawler I am almost ready to present.
coaster, batman.JPG
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: My coaster projects.

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:30 am

What an awesome/creative idea! I think either a team based, arch-enemies or theme based would make a pretty awesome set of coasters. Deathstroke the Terminator would probably be a nice one. A Secret Six set of six would be pretty awesome, too, I think. I'd probably try to keep the artist consistent with a set if I were planning a set of custom comic coasters for myself.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:30 pm

This is a cool idea. Can you give us more info on your process?
I like what Acid said, do sets.
I am surprised you haven't got the New Teen Titans lined up already.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah, those are pretty cool. What'd you use for materials to make the actual coaster?

A Secret Six would definitely be cool.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Neat idea, man. You could even do some of some iconic covers that you like!
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Havok1891 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks guys. I do plan to work on teams and sets (was thinking bat themed first).

I have a Nightcrawler that is done now too.

I am pretty much limited to what I have in comics that I am willing to chop up.

The process:
1) Find material you want to use as a coaster.
2) Find comic art that would fit on the size of the coaster well.
3) Use mod podge to coat under the art and paste the art on the coaster.
4) Let the podge dry. Brush mod podge on the art's face to seal it.
5) Let dry, spray lightly with a sealer (I am using Helmsman Indoor/outdoor spar urethane). It's meant for wood but works here too.
6) I got some cheap foam stuff from the Dollar Tree to cut down and adhere to under the coaster for padding, used the mod podge (which in Walmart by crafts) to glue that too.

Tried a Legion one with a tile coaster but it didn't work out. Not sure if ceramic tile has issues or I used too much glue or what (I am still find tuning the process).

The fun thing is I got one of those grab bags of comics a while back and they suckered me with that "then free" New 52 issue of preview stuff. Well it was lame to get that comic, but it is full of great images and I have NO PROBLEM butchering it.

Also used the reprint from the Colossus & Juggernaut comic pack for 3.75 marvel universe to do the Nightcrawler & Juggernaut one (picture coming soon).
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Havok1891 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:19 pm

As you can see, it isn't always perfect. It looks better in person. There is a small issue by Nightcrawler's chest. It can kind of make it seem more vintage though? The dialogue being in the coaster can be a plus or minus depending on what you want. How do you feel about it? I like how I got Juggernaut into it.
crawler 001.JPG
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Cool. I actually like the Nightcrawler one more. It has kind of a retro feel to it. It reminds me of when you get stuff and it has comic pages printed on it like on a pillowcase.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:33 pm

very cool, thanks for the recipe. Definitely worth trying. The kids and I butchered my Wizard magazine collection to make collages, I could still find some cool art to use in those stacks....
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:36 pm

As far as the quality, I agree with you on the vintage look to the Nightcrawler coaster. I can imagine a set looking awesome like this!
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions