Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: JRNY to K-Mart Plaza!!!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: JRNY to K-Mart Plaza!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 am

INTRODUCTION: This will be topic of My vintage action figure collection ranging from the 80s to the late 90s. A majority of them will be from Kenner as they were My favorite back in the day. IMO, they were the most perfect example of how great toys & action figures was in the 80s & 90s and that it was "THE ERA" to be a kid! I will feature many lines by Playmates & Mattel and various companies plus some bonus stuff & surprises regardless of chronological order of time of release. I will also provide some commentary and I will appreciate your reading of it as some of the moments is really special to :D

IMPORTANT NOTES: Since My collections are old and in storage, no series will be complete and pristine. I had played them a lot back then and accessories & parts are missing (if I find them later then I will re-post about that particular figure at a later date). They will look worn & will have scuff marks, paint rubbed off and the like. So, I will frequently as update this topic and will be upon the board about once a week or so!

Oh boy, here we go, here is the first of My vintage action collection and I thought that it would be very apropos that is would be none other than WILLOW, the 1988 fantasy action adventure like no other! IMO it was like a medieval Star Wars and you can clearly tell it was Lucas and I loved the musical score by James Horner, one of his absolute best IMO! When I was really young I loved all that was greatness about the 80s which was action, fantasy, sorcery, monsters, horror and the fun suff. So, I knew the Willow movie and its action figures was coming out soon. My Grandparents & Mom got Me all of them but two which I will post about that in time as well as some of My memories of the great series.

So, the series was made by Tonka, the then owner of Kenner. The figures IMO were beyond their time as they looked so realistic with great sculpting and looked movie accurate. They were real scale towards each other which I always love in action figures. They were only about 2" tall with metal stands however with exceptions some were different as you will see shortly. So, here will the lineup with many pics and features. I still have all of their cards which you will see in their entirety and so much more :D

THE NOCKMARR ARMY

The Death Dog: He was My first Willow figure EVER :shock: The stock @ My great Venture store was sold out of them at the time and it seemed like this poor figure was thrown around all over the toy isle as his card was so beat up. He was so torn that he was put on clearance time & time again and nobody was interested in him but Me! I was so happy that I got him and a Willow figure because Me & My Grandparents were going to see the film later THAT night at the show! They loved it especially My Grandpa. Yep, I took My Death Dog with Me and was playing with him in front of the screen. Such a great memory indeed.  

Death Dog: So, stock was coming in Venture as well & K-Mart & K-B. Me was lucky enough to get the whole collection. First, I wanted a another Death Dog because of the scene in the beginning of the movie there were two of them so I had to get one more for an army builder to make that scene. He looks identical like the other one which is a really gruesome looking dog minus the torn-up card.

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:43 am, edited 95 times in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: WILLOW 1988!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:54 am

Queen Bavmorda: Ah, the true baddie of the film. Still to this day, IMO there has never been a villainess like her. I loved her character and her figure is really nice and detailed just like in the movie. I was really happy when I got her.  

Sorsha with Horse: This is the version with a horse. She looks really good and much different than other standard figure as she was a bow & arrow riding her steed.

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:54 am

General Kael: Oh man, My favorite character in the whole movie (he reminded of a medieval Darth Vader so much). I loved his voice. He was played by late great wrestler Pat Roach and he was one of My favorites. His figure's helmet, armor and sword looks so authentic. He is also the largest of all the standard figures as he should be.

General Kael with Horse: A variant with a steed as part of the horse series. He looks nearly the same as his other version except that he is in a different position.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:56 am

Nockmaar Lieutenant: He looks really good, I love the armor & the stance.

Nockmaar Lieutenant: Got another one not too long after the first for an army builder.

Nockmaar Warrior: Great looking soldier, I love his stance as well.

Nockmaar Warrior: Got him again for the same reason as the Nockmaar Lieutenant.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:56 am

Nockmaar Warrior on Horse: Yes, he was My first Willow figure on a horse. This is how I originally found out about this steed series and I was tell'n My Grandma I gotta get the rest of them and I did. I only got one of this guy though, I think he was harder to find? I'm not sure. Anyway he looks really good and I love his sword.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:57 am

THE REBEL WARRIORS

Willow: Yes, the little man himself of the Nelwyns. He looks really good. Its such a great representation of the title character. I love the wand he has, again, it looks just like an actual miniature prop. Yep, a company related to Kenner made another Warwick "Wicket" Davis figure in the 80s!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:58 am

Madmartigan: Man, isn't he a great looking figure? I think the figure's resemblance is really great and his armor is dandy.

Madmartigan on horse: Basically the same greatness as the standard figure but this time with a horse as part of the steed series.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:58 am

Sorsha: Now, unlike the other main characters that has standard & steed figures, Sorsha is the most unique because this time she has her great ridged blade sword and not her bow & arrow. I really like this difference as it brings a nearly totally new variant to the beautiful female warrior.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 am

Airk Thaughbaer: He looks really good. I love that his sword gauntlet is just like it was seen in the movie. His armor is decent and I dig the style of the helmet. He has little detail on his face however but he still is very impressive.

Airk Thaughbaer on horse: Like his counterparts, his steed version is just as good as the standard version just in a seated position but this time he is got a white horse!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 am

Rebel Trooper: Ah, one of the rebel soldiers. I loved their armor and style. Such a great looking figure indeed.

Rebel Trooper: A duplicate as the other one for an army builder.

High Aldwyn: Yes, a another of little Nelwyn people. He looks so much like the movie version.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions