Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

S.H.Figuarts Sailor Mercury

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

S.H.Figuarts Sailor Mercury

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm

So my S.H.Figuarts Sailor Mercury came in today. I was pretty excited. I took it out of the box and first thing I noticed was that her arm was detached from her body. Upon further inspection, it turns out that the arm had a defect on it so it wouldn't grip the peg in the socket tightly. I pushed hard on the arm and forced the peg back into the socket and it grips tighter now but still falls off when I rotate her arm which sucks. Overall, these figures look great, but aren't particularly well made. They actually remind me of third party knock offs as far as durability goes. The paint and detail is top notch, though. I took some pics of her which you can find below:

The figures themselves actually stand fine on their own but you need to balance them since they're extremely light and will fall over if you so much as breath lightly in their direction. The stands allow for more dynamic posing.
1.jpg

The stands themselves are okay. Not bad but not particularly sturdy. My Sailor Moon stand had already cracked on the right pincer's socket which is annoying because now it doesn't grip Sailor Moon very well at all. The stands are your typical clear robot arm stands but they include a unique base with their symbol and name.
3.jpg

The figures themselves are definitely 1/12th scale. I thought they were kind of small initially because people were calling them 6" figures but that's a bit misleading as they are not quite 6 inches tall but as you can see, they're the correct average height for their age as compared to a DCUC Donna Troy, Ami stands just about half an inch shorter than her.
2.jpg

One cool feature that I was hoping would be included was Ami's little pocket computer and visor which she does come with. In fact, she comes with one opened pocket computer and one closed one and a separate visor piece that is attached to her bangs. This is a good idea considering how small these accessories are, I could imagine a tiny peg or hinge snapping off from opening and closing the computer. Plus there's no real other way to attach the visor piece without it looking bad.
4.jpg

Here are all the extras that you get with Sailor Mercury so that you can give her a large amount of display options. She comes with 9 extra hands, one of which grips the computer and also 3 additional faces sporting various expressions and of course the 2 computers and the visor hair piece.
5.jpg

I will also note that the hands don't work on Sailor Moon as the pegs appear to be different which sucks since in reality, there's no way to tell whose hand is whose so I don't understand why they did that at all as this would have greatly increased the display options. Also, the face pieces are incompatible as Ami's face pegs are molded just slightly bigger than Usagi's but this is fine because the gems on their tiaras would not match the character anyway.

Overall, I'm happy with the figure but that's mostly out of nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, the figure looks GREAT and looks exactly like they leaped off the screen. In fact, I've never really seen a figure that accurately captured their look, ever. This is rather odd since they don't have a particularly complex face design. What I like best of all is that they are definitely not dolls. They're 100% action figures. They have plastic hair, articulation points to put them into dynamic poses and plastic, not soft good clothing.

On the other hand, the build quality of the figure should have been a lot better and the fact that her arm wasn't attached and now it falls off whenever I rotate it or change a hand is irritating. Also the incompatible hands thing is silly and I just don't get it. I'm most likely going to get the rest of them but I can really see these benefiting from a larger scale so that they don't have to be so delicate but then I could huck Donna Troy across the room at a wall and I know she would probably still be fine where as this same scaled figure feels extremely weak limbed and flimsy. Heck, I've got MUs that can put up with more abuse than these but I digress.

PROS- They look great. 100% cartoon accurate. Displays nicely. Decent articulation. Lots of accessories. Nostalgia.
CONS- Expensive for what they are at around $32 to $55 each. 1:12 scale flimsy toys that feel more like model kits. Stands are made from crummy weak plastic. Joints are weak. Needs better quality control.

I can only recommend these if you were a HUGE fan of the series. If you're just looking for something cool and random to display, there are a lot of better options out there for a lot less money.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: S.H.Figuarts Sailor Mercury

Postby Tango X » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for posting this, AcidDragon. I was thinking about these but some of those QC issues you mentioned have got me thinking twice. Does anyone else own these and had similar issues?
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Avalon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Regarding the stand, the loop that you plug the hooks into that hold your figure cracked on me also. I tried fixing it with glue but it just made it worse... The figures themselves look really nice tho.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:36 pm

These look really cool. I originally wanted to wait for the first five to come out before jumping in but after seeing what happened to the Dragonball Z prices and also the fact that Sailor Moon gets bonus faces that you won't be getting on the later releases, I'm probably going to cave in this Christmas and get it.
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah guys, don't let my post deter you. I'm actually very happy with the figures themselves. I just wish the stand was sturdier and the joints were less scary. I just keep expecting them to break but they haven't yet so maybe it's not too bad. :batgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Toy Discussions