Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My great times @ Big Lots: MOTUC Edition!

Featuring some of the most creative looking action figures, ever, He-man and the Masters of the Universe and She-Ra Princess of Power has garnered a huge following since it's creation in the early '80s.

My great times @ Big Lots: MOTUC Edition!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 am

WOW, it has been many years since I have posted in this great topic and unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle :roll:

Now, first, as you know, I am a huge MOTU fan, probably one of the biggest you'll ever meet ;)

So, there is literally a ton of stuff that I can talk about and showcase here in the near future. Including how much My collection has grown over the years and how cool the progression of MOTU has become. Thanks to Mattel's frugal & pathetic ways, MOTU isn't as big as it should be, I have always felt it could be where Marvel is or even as big as Star Wars if it was handled correctly. With that being said, I wanted to repost this very special on Mine. It was a time when I was going to Big Lots! often (I have showcased many figures that I got there in My Miscellaneous Modern Action Figure Topic so please click that link to see that as I did feature MOTU making a very special cameo and so much more to come!) and I got many, many great things there. Surprisingly there was Masters of the Universe Classic figures at My local store as it was previously reported on the Matty Board among other figure news sites during that time.

I originally posted this fond memory of Mine on the MattyCollector Forum when it was online and also valid store which had its moments that were up & down. It was My time of going to Big Lots! and I captured it all via pics :D :smgasp: :batshock: :wwshock: I saved it and I will repost it in all of it's entirety from September, 2013 :!:

NOTE: It's a long post and I really didn't want to split it up as I felt it would ruin the nostalgia of this grand moment :batgrin:

---------

Originally posted by BrandontheMattyCollector:
OK guys, I gotta a weird story for you!

I wanted to check out this Big Lots situation out for Myself and so I did. It had been a long while since I went to My local BL so things had changed there. Now the figures aisle was moved toward the back by the pet aisle now. So trying to see the aisles looking through all of the Barbies (they had a ton!) then I finally noticed the action figures cuz they had Power Rangers, POTC, WWE, Star Trek (they still had a lot of them!) and more. I didn't see no MOTUC but I didn't give up so I kept on looking around. I then had the feeling to check the AFs again, sure enough I saw 1 Icarius in the back of the wall and I was so surprised! Then I saw another Icarius on a peg. I looked at them for awhile and put them both back up on the peg. I didn't buy them cuz I already have Icaruis (got him back when he first came out in 2011) but something strange happen. I couldn't leave, I became obsessed with the figure but really something else. It wasn't Icaruis, it was the fact that I WAS HOLDING A MOTU figure in My hands :shock: :bounce: It had been over 10 years since I held a MOTU figure in a local store when the 200X line was around!!!!!!!!! For the life of Me I could not leave! I then after like the 4th time leaving the aisle, I was like half way to the exit door THEN I kept on thinkin' about it then I went all the way back to the aisle and looked again and still couldn't believe this had happen! I bet I faked leave about 10 times :o :? :shock:

So in short, most figures had been bought up/taken by employees so I don't know who else they had. If they had Vykron or BG Teela (I already got them too), I may have bought an extra one of them for bashes provided they had them.

So there you guys, that is My Big Lots experience!

OK, well, I was able to go to My local Big Lots and while I can tell you whole details like I usually do, let's do a pic & commentary this time around and see what happen shall we :?:

There is Big Lots! It's actually in the huge building & plaza that Venture was in back in the 80s & 90s of classic & better days which is now a Burlington Coat Factory :roll:

Clocks, I always like to look at them whenever I'm at a store.

Yeah, it's Halloween time :blbat:

WHAT? Christmas already? Well it is around the corner :scww:

OK, getting closer to the action figures aisle. They moved them toward the pet aisle which is many aisles away, what is up with that :?: Yeah, that is Monster High figures. Back when they first came out I was really thinkin' about collecting them but I never did. NOTE: I do regret not collecting them back in the day but oh well :roll:

Oh look, its Flipshot oh I mean Icarus! He is STILL there! NOW he is with the Power Rangers, :lol: :batlol: :wwlol: :smsmh: . I picked him up and immediately looked around the side to see if there are any more MOTUC or Ghostbusters hoping as I said before to see a NEW HUGE display!!!!!! How awesome that would be to see that especially GBs cuz they haven't been in stores for many, many years :!:

I looked around and kept on looking, I saw the same John Cena & Sheamus stuff, the same POTC figures and other stuff I just wasn't interested IN but no MOTUC to be seen but then I looked a bit down and low and behold I saw another Icarus in the middle shelf so BOTH Icarus figures were moved off of the pegs that I put them on before a couple weeks prior :o :? I made sure there was no other MOTUC figures laying around or Ghostbusters and very unfortunately there wasn't :( I learned that you gotta look for Icarus, he's like Where's Waldo for cryin' out loud :lol: :smsmh: :batlol: :wwsmh:

So I had an idea about Icarius. So I got the first one by The Power Ranger cuz he looked the best of the two. I had to get him (again cuz I got him back during 2011) because this idea was IMO brilliant and I had to make it come true! Which I'll have more on that in a bit...NEWZ: Look, he is leaving the store :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Oh look, more Christmas & Halloween stuff :blhal: :scsm:

Would you look at that, Icarus is in the car :!:

He made it home now :smsmile: :wwsmile: :batsmile:

So what was My idea? I love My recent addition of Sky High so much I'm going to bash him and this new Icarius and place Sky High's head on his body among other things and make Sky High have a total new look! I haven't done it yet but will soon! As a said a couple weeks ago, I can't believe that MOTUC is at a store that they are $10 :o So there you go with My Big Lots experience :)

-------

There it was, Oh man that was somethin' else going down that memory lane. That was a special day for Me. Looking back at it all these years later it seems so long ago. MOTUC ended in 2016 but but picked up by a different company which was Super7 that Mattel handed over to but that is a different subject for another day. Anyway, these current times for action figures and basically in life in general suck and makes Me miss those days on the MOTUC already :roll:

OK, sweet bonus, I did post years ago on the board that I did bash My Sky High thanks to My duplicate of Icarius but I never really did feature as to how that came to be until now :!:

Sky High BEFORE & AFTER!

There is more of Sky High in this very section with My bio that I wrote for him in another topic so if you wanna go down memory lane back last decade then be My guest ;)

Well that's all, I hope you have enjoyed this. I look forward to posting more about Masters of the Universe within this section in the near future, until next time.....Good Journey :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My great times @ Big Lots: MOTUC Edition!

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 am

Nice story. It's been ages since Big lots had anything interesting. I mostly stopped bothering. I remember after the Brightest Day wave I found almost two sets of that wave for $5 each, which was awesome for a customizer. I also picked up the Mo-Larr set for Webs once. Been years since they've had anything, even at Christmas their toy section is disappointing.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: My great times @ Big Lots: MOTUC Edition!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks PB :) Yeah, I know what ya mean, I haven't been there in years because of several reasons and them not having the cool stock anymore is one of them :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to He-man & the Masters of the Universe