Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Justice League 3000 Reviews/Thoughts

Talk comic books with other fans whether it's the latest New 52 material or some good old classics!

Re: Justice League 3000 Reviews/Thoughts

Postby Avalon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Read issues #1-6. #1 didn't interest me that much but #2 onward was very good. At this point, I like all of the main characters except the Wonder Twins.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Illiasc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 am

I've gotten up to #5 so far, and I can definitely agree that the least interesting of all the characters are the twins themselves. Otherwise, it's pretty interesting up to where I'm at.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 pm

I really appreciate what they've done with the characters now that I've had a time to think on it. They've stripped them bare of all the things that we took for granted and yet were essential to defining the Justice League as much more than what we see on the surface and it makes the introduction of these aspects much more important and as a result, it gives me a much greater appreciation for how many different layers of personality they each have.

When the twins created the JL3K from stories and data archives, the Justice League they came up with is basically one with only some of the most obvious, typical and stereotypical characteristics that the average person would come up with when asked what they know about the individual league members. When I look at it that way, I actually appreciate the genius of this book and how it makes me appreciate the little things that helped define these characters for me and what made me like them. They begin with all the familiar characteristics of the old league but none of the small things. I feel like this was definitely written with a pre-New 52 fan in mind and unfortunately issue #1 doesn't quite get that across but as you delve deeper into it, you begin to understand what they're trying to do.

I'm definitely looking forward to finally reading issue #10. :smgrin:
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 pm

This book/series is becoming a favorite of mine now.

I wished someone told me about this sooner!
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Nice to hear you're giving it a read, Doctor Fate. Especially glad that you're enjoying it as well!
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby Illiasc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm glad I gave it a shot, even if it's 10 issues down the road. As it goes, yeah, it's actually really good, and OneNineSix hit it on the head with how it gets you to understand and appreciate each character better, and their approach with that is brilliant. I'll admit myself, there's a couple characters that as superheroes in the DC universe/multiverse in general I'm not all that fond of, but the JL3000 series does a good job of opening me up to more realization of why I should like them, and what they are and what they aren't as characters with personality, layers, and background. And their approach of introducing the characters with basic, blatant stereotypes and nothing more is pretty good. It makes me realize for each character, what they are or aren't missing that makes them who they are before JL3000. Even for ones I've always liked, it has me realize why I do really like them, and how different they'd be if simple but major things were taken away.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 am

Illiasc, you made many good points here and I just wanted to say this - I can clearly see where you are coming from here. It's a good book, I wished the art was a tad better, stories are very interesting, and most importantly it's has a personality of it's own.

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:19 am

One thing that I liked about this book is the constant frustrations of Superman and Batman in this series and that's something about this book - makes it special. Having the group in 31st Century is very radically different and that's gives it an identity of it's own.

When, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle arrive - the story itself will be even more interesting and I wished they add a 31st Version of Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter to round off the group to re-establish the identity of the Justice League of the Past.

I read and bought the first 5 books - and loving it!

Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Avalon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Agreed, guys. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite new books. I agree, Doctor Fate. I mean I don't think the art is bad, it looks good to me, but it doesn't really suit an old universe book to me. Some of us forget that Keith Giffen is a pretty awesome penciller himself. Especially love his work on LSH.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Doctor Fate » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Sad, to say this - My Comic Book Store do not carry this book anymore - so I decided not to bother to drive a hour to another store to get it. It's not the end of the world here; but I can live without it.

Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics