Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Suicide Squad Movie - Full Task Force X pic page 8

Discuss your favourite DC movies and TV shows here like Arrow, Man of Steel, Watchmen, RED, Young Justice and more!

Suicide Squad Movie - Full Task Force X pic page 8

Postby S. Griffin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:15 pm

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/warner-bros-circling-david-ayer-for-adaptation-of-dc-comics-suicide-squad-1201308883/
WB wants David Ayer who directed the pretty damned good End of Watch and the pretty crappy Street Kings and maybe slightly less crappy Sabotage to direct a Suicide Squad movie from a script by Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (and pretty much nothing else) scribe Justin Marks. Ayer wrote End of Watch and **** Training Day! Maybe he could have written the thing?
I just don't get Warner Brothers these days.
Last edited by S. Griffin on Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Re: Suicide Squad Movie

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 pm

It'd be really cool if they can tie these in to each other like Marvel. Imagine seeing Waller in Dawn of Justice and then in the end credits they show her again with a Task Force X file. Of course, Warner Bros. just feels more like they're trying ride Marvel's coat tails and cash in on name recognition and history alone, as opposed to telling coherent, accessible to all ages movies. It's a shame. Man of Steel was just so damn dull both in scenery and story. When juxtaposed against exciting, flashy, FUN films like Guardians and Avengers, it really does seem like DC/Warner just doesn't get it. The images of Dawn of Justice, with it's muted colors doesn't give me any hope yet, so I just feel like we'll get a run of forgettable DC movies while Marvel continues to dominate.

The basic concept alone of a bunch of villains being forced to run errands for the government could be so much fun. But I feel like DC/WB will make too adult oriented and alienate themselves from more prophet.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Illiasc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:45 pm

I too wish more DC films would stop with the muted colors and pick it up with the exciting, fun, and flashy storylines and visuals. . . But the sad thing is that we also should remember that DC/WB has in fact tried that. The Green Lantern. Yeah it was terrible, but even if its flaws were corrected I have this feeling people still wouldn't have liked it. Like, it would be too much for the common non-DC loving audience or something. In fact, the more adult and "serious" you get with DC films, the more people like them. (Nolan Batman Trilogy for example) - The more comic-accurate and exciting you get, the less people seem to like it. So that's, in my guess, probably why we're still fed the same Snyder/Nolan themes.

Either way, I'm still very open to anything new they give us. There's so few DC films that come out as is, especially compared to Marvel's consistent pumping of movies per year. I'm willing to give someone a chance, even if they produced or were involved with movies previously that people didn't like. I actually haven't seen most of what David Ayer has done, so, I'm still pretty interested to know that this is more than just some rumor.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Tango X » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm

This is interesting. I don't know. I think DC might not have found the right formula yet in making it comic book accurate enough and also please a wide range of audiences.
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Avalon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:20 pm

This sounds like a cool idea but not sure about the execution after reading all that. Good point on the Green Lantern. For all intents and purposes it was actually pretty accurate... maybe the most out of all of them and it was somehow just so awful.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Very mixed feelings here. Ayer's not bad, and his resume's certainly appropriate for the film, but...ugh, the guy who wrote The Legend of Chun-Li? I doubt he'll be the only screenwriter, though, because it'll go through like a dozen drafts anyway. That's how Warner rolls.

I can't speak to Green Lantern, but I think people liked the darkness of the Nolan Batman because it fit. It was a dark story. People are loving the Marvel stuff, which is more colorful and cheery. Some people liked Man of Steel, but most were resigned to it, like "I guess it was okay. Could've been worse." But the most passionate people have gotten about a comic book movie in ages is for Guardians of the Galaxy, and that's a bright, fun film with a ton of personality that doesn't take itself too seriously.

The Squad can go dark, but I'd rather it be direct and intense in the vein of Taken or the Bourne films. That seems a better fit. The more this film is spec ops with occasional powers, as opposed to superhero action, the better it'll play with most audiences. The big problem, though, is finding decent and recognizable actors who haven't been snatched up by Marvel yet.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:15 pm

I feel the same way (feeling wise) of Packerbacker and SecondWhiteLine - Our Moderators here because they made excellent points regarding this movie and I'm kind of lukewarm seeing a Suicide Squad Movie because this book from DC COMICS did nothing for me either in the good ole days and today New 52 relaunch.

I'm going to have to be cautious about seeing it in the big screen.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I think it would work best if it were along the lines of The Expendables.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:17 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:I think it would work best if it were along the lines of The Expendables.

I agree with that ... It would make sense to me if they did this route. :)
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Felt like waking up this thread considering there have been several updates:

For those of you who have seen The Wolf of Wall Street, what do you think of Margot Robbie being cast as Harley Quinn?

Also, is anybody else hoping that Jai Courtney is actually going to be playing Digger Harkness instead of Floyd Lawton?
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Next

Return to DC TV Shows/Movies