Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

NECA Dawn of the Planet of the Apes-Luca.

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

NECA Dawn of the Planet of the Apes-Luca.

Postby Ken Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Okay, I have a confession......I bought this but I didn't buy it because it's Luca.
I like the movies, and I dig gorillas, but those are all beside the point.
I bought this figure because.........well two reasons:

It's King Kong.

No, it's not literally that character, but golly if it ain't close. It's the SAME SIZE at the Bandai S.H. Monsterarts King Kong. It is very similar in sculpt--but there are a lot of proportional and detail differences. It does FEEL like NECA was looking over Bandai's shoulder when they did this, because so much of the two toys are alike.
Luca ( Kong Mk 2) has very similar articulation, but some limitations in the joints. The range of motion is less that the legit Kong, but there is still enough to pose the figure out quite dramatically.
There's only one accessory: a roaring face, that snaps on to the neck ball joint. Take the swap carefully the first time--do it slow--just in case. The peg for the neck seems sturdy enough, but you never know.
It takes some fiddling with the joints to find out their limits. I was going to write that the feet do not lay flat, because that ankles don't appear to have enough articulation........BUT THEY DO, You just have to work things a bit.

This figure is, to sum it up, every bit as good at the S.H. Monsterarts Kong--can be substituted for him if you want, OR can be put against the NECA 2014 Godzilla ( which is my own plan).
For a character from the Planet of the Apes movie.......yeah, he's a dandy goriila--work fine against any other 1/12th scale figure, if you want to use him that way.
Me........I'm dreaming some kaiju dreams instead. :lol:
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Re: NECA Dawn of the Planet of the Apes-Luca.

Postby Tango X » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Great call, man. The pricing is the main thing that makes me apprehensive about buying more S.H. MonsterArts.
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Ken Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, given Luca, and the 2014 Godzilla.........NECA wins on price and adequate features. The sculpts, details and POAs are close enough to Bandai's product that.......well, one can spend $40 more for almost the same thing if they want.
I was expecting a LOT softer sculpting detail, and more limited POAs with both these NECA figures. Didn't come to pass.
I like Monsterarts.....they've made amazing figures in their Godzilla line, but they are beaucoup expensive.

The nice thing here with Luca is that if you want a good ferocious gorilla for your Marvel Legends, DCUC or other 1/12th scale figures to corral, he's ideally scaled and at about $25, reasonably priced.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Ok, I admit I pay little attention to these other lines, but how big is this figure? I'm looking at an image of it online and I'm thinking easy Congorilla custom.

I guess what I really mean is how does he compare to DC figures like Grodd and Mallah?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 am

packerbacker180 wrote:Ok, I admit I pay little attention to these other lines, but how big is this figure? I'm looking at an image of it online and I'm thinking easy Congorilla custom.

I guess what I really mean is how does he compare to DC figures like Grodd and Mallah?

Grodd and Mallah are super-sized compared to the height of a "real gorilla", Luca is about a 1/2 inch smaller than Grodd.

Luca is between 6-7" tall--I think closer to 6".
That works out to a realistic proportionate size for a mountain/silverback-type gorilla--compared to ML or DCUC figures.
Standing upright, he can stare into the eyes of a standard DCUC or ML figure.
Caesar and Koba are proportionately smaller, but not so much as to be unrealistic--again, used with DCUC/ML.
They are NOT typical of normal chimps though, as in the movies their sizes are human-height--much larger than a standard chimp.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Hmmm...Congorilla I guess is actually listed at DC as two inches taller than Grodd. But suppose he might work anyway since they wouldn't even be in the same display shelf. Something for me to consider...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Hmmm...Congorilla I guess is actually listed at DC as two inches taller than Grodd. But suppose he might work anyway since they wouldn't even be in the same display shelf. Something for me to consider...

Get a flowered shirt ( maybe from a Barbie Ken figure) and a cloth beret on top of his head, match him with a cartoon blonde girl of the same size and you'd have Angel and the Ape.
Or get Maurice-the orangutan ( I assume there is a figure of him) and find a gibbon, and you have the three apes of Red Ghost and the Super Apes....
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Whoa, now let's not go ape...that is to say that would be one orangargantuan...er, that'd be a lot of bananas to do.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:47 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Whoa, now let's not go ape...that is to say that would be one orangargantuan...er, that'd be a lot of bananas to do.

If this thread is to be about simians, we'd better start monkeying around.

<rimshot>

That's right folks, I'm here all week. Pay the lady at the door!
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:53 pm

All this talk of gorillas is Gibbon me some ideas for simian emoticons. Eeeehhhhh???
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions