Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Macho Man, "The cream always rises to the top!"

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Macho Man, "The cream always rises to the top!"

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am

"Oh, yeah, diggit!"

WWE is finally putting the Macho Man Randy Savage into it's Hall of Fame. How it could have any kind of legitimate hall without the Macho King is beyond me. Shame it came too late though, because there's only a handful of HoF induction speeches I would actually want to watch (Hogan, Flair, Piper, HBK, Austin) and I don't know if any would've been as entertaining as hearing Randy Savage talk about his career and legendary family. In an era of flashy colors and bigger than life characters, there weren't many bigger. When wrestlers could still cut their own, unique promos, there wasn't anyone better. I'm glad he's going in, but I'll never forgive the WWE for waiting so long that the man wasn't there to accept.

So let's talk about it and celebrate the man's career. Or in other words....SNAP INTO IT!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Macho Man, "The cream always rises to the top!"

Postby Ken Davis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Did they ever establish at all what the problem was between McMahon and Savage? I kept reading that Stephanie was somehow involved in some incident, but nothing was ever divulged.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 pm

No, and I don't know if they ever will. Rumors have always been rampant about something with Stephanie when she was underage. Or maybe that Savage jumped ship to WCW. No one has ever gone on record to my knowledge with the truth. Maybe when Vince is gone we'll find out.

Heck, Jimmy Snuka may've murdered his girlfriend in the '80s and he was inducted. I know it's not a real Hall of Fame where people vote or anything, it comes down to who McMahon wants to induct, and for some reason he's avoided Savage for years even though he should've gone in 8-9 years ago after his WCW days were over. Hell, it took forever for them to put him in a video game. This is way past overdue, just a shame we won't get to hear him or even his brother, who I know has said Randy would never accept unless the whole Poffo family went in. And clearly, they weren't announced yesterday. Maybe they'll get a separate induction.

Heck, I loved Lanny Poffo. My sister caught one of his Frisbees at the old Aud back in the 80's. Wish to god I still had it as it would be one cool wall decoration for the man cave.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Randy was always a showman, and one of the most colourful in pro-wrestling.

I have a sudden craving for a Slim Jim pepperoni stick right now....
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Ooooooohhhhhhh yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 pm

I think the problem with Macho Man that he had some difficulty getting along with Vince McMahon during his stay with WWF/WWE and that's why he jumped ship to WCW and even had a stint with TNA for a year or two. Macho Man is a very colorful and flamboyant character and he wasn't properly used in WWF/WWE during the early 80's. I know that he was a Champion and all but he needed another mega-star to help him along. There are two examples of that - He and Hulk Hogan - formed the Mega Powers and having the beautiful Miss Elisabeth as their Manager. Another one is he and the Ultimate Warrior - formed the Ultimate Manics with a feud with Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect and using Miss Elisabeth as a hostage at one point was a perfect examples of how WWF/WWE used him. He needed another partner to make his personality works.

I have mixed feelings about the Macho Man and sorry to say this Packerbacker - he wasn't a favorite of mine. I just have problems with him and lots of it due to way McMahon uses him incorrectly. That's why he took so long to be inducted in the Hall of Fame.

From Wikipedia in Blue

Savage won 20 championships during his 32-year career. He held six world championships between the WWF and WCW, having won the WWF Championship twice and the WCW World Heavyweight Championship four times. He also won the ICW World Heavyweight Championship three times and the USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship once. A one time WWF Intercontinental Champion, WWE (formerly WWF) has named Savage as the greatest champion of all time and credited him for bringing "a higher level of credibility to the title through his amazing in-ring performances."[7] He was also the 1987 WWF King of the Ring and the 1995 WCW World War 3 winner. A major pay-per-view attraction in the 1980s and 1990s, Savage headlined WrestleManias IV, V and VIII, as well as four of the first five SummerSlam shows, the 1995 edition of WCW's Starrcade, and many other events. Hulk Hogan, face of the WWF during the professional wrestling "Golden Era" of the 1980s and early 1990s, has recognized Savage as a highly influential performer, and the only man during Hogan's dominance with whom revenues "would stay the same, or get better" when he was WWF Champion.[8]

For most of his tenures in the WWF and WCW, Savage was managed by his real life wife "Miss Elizabeth" Hulette. He was recognizable by wrestling fans for his distinctively deep and raspy voice, his ring attire, intensity exhibited in and out of the ring, using "Pomp and Circumstance" as his entrance music, and his signature catch phrase, "Oooh yeah!"[1][2] Savage died of cardiac arrhythmia while driving with his second wife Barbara Lynn Payne, in Seminole, Florida on the morning of May 20, 2011. On January 12, 2015, Savage was announced as the first inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame class of 2015.

Why it's took so long for him to be inducted in the WWF/WWE Hall of Fame is the fact that he was the Champion Twice and that's took some hit by McMahon and it's family. One time I heard that Linda McMahon didn't like him at all and same goes to Vince at several portions of his career with WWF/WWE.

I think he had better success in WCW of which he was champion 4 times and was very popular there. WCW did a better job marketing Macho Man than WWF/WWE.

He deserved to be inducted in the Hall of Fame - but too bad he died in 2011.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Avalon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:57 pm

The Macho Maaaaan!!! Ooooh yeeeah. Love this guy. He gave me some of my favorite matches. He was a real talent and same with his brother, Leaping Lanny Poffo. I thought they were both great workers and amazing innovators. Doings things both in and out of the ring that nobody else was really trying.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc