Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Comics Action Figures and Accessories

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Comics Action Figures and Accessories

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Since we have a lot of MattyCollector.com refugees here I'm sure some of you have seen some of this stuff already, but there's a bunch of Marvel Comics customs that I've done too and this is where I will be posting new stuff as I finish it.

Thanks for Looking! :smgrin: :batgrin: :dgrobsmile: :wwgrin: :halgrin: :bafgrin: :aqgrin: :mmgrin:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Comics Action Figures and Accessor

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Superman & Lois Lane by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Here is my Custom Lois Lane figure with my Favorite DC Direct Superman.

Lois Lane & Zatanna Comparison by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Lois Lane started out as a DCUC Zatanna figure that I bought on clearance. Lois's Head, Arms, Jacket & Legs were originally Zatanna's. Lois's Chest and Skirt came from a DCUC Mary Marvel figure. First I removed the fishnets from Lois's Legs and then I carefully put the legs and the Skirt in Black Rit Dye on the stovetop. I dyed the skirt so that I wouldn't get any paint rub on Lois's legs. I thought that by dying the legs for a few minutes it would make it look like she was wearing hose. I glued the heels on her feet and drilled peg hole in her toes with a Dremmel Tool. Zatanna's an adult character but the Mary Marvel is a smaller teenager, so the skirt didn't quite fit over the legs. I drilled holes into the Pelvis and the Torso, pulled the skirt down as far as I could over the legs, I used a superglued nail to attach the torso to the pelvis and sandwiched the skirt into place. I repainted Mary's shirt purple, put on the jacket and attached the arms to the new torso. I repainted around the eyes and eyebrows on Lois's face to make her look a little different from Zatanna and then I sculpted on some bigger hair. Zatanna has really flat hair so that she can also wear her top hat, but for Lois I wanted her to have bigger hair like I remember her from the 90's. I painted the hair dark brown and gave it a black wash.

Lois & Clark by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Up, Up and Away! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Daily Planet Staff by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Custom Batmobile Repaint by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I picked up this Power Attack Batmobile at a local Target store when it was marked down to $18 and decided that I was going to try to customize it more to my liking. Originally this Batmobile was a bright, sparkly blue color with red and silver paint details. I thought it would look much better in black so I took it apart as much as I could and spray painted it with Black Satin Krylon.

This Batmobile originally had a launching missle and a battering ram play feature. I deactivated these play features when I took the car apart to repaint it. The wheels were the hardest, most time-consuming parts to paint. I drybrushed around the bat symbols in the center first and then hand painted the spokes with silver acrylics.

I repainted the headlights yellow. The silver part in front is a spring-loaded missle that I superglued into place. The windsheild was originally tinted blue but I didn't like the way it looked with the black body, so I just painted it silver with acrylic paints. This figure will fit inside the vehicle but most of my other batman figures won't because they are too big and have non-removable, rigid plastic capes. I didn't really plan on displaying it with a figure inside anyway

The turbine in the back here was removed pretty easily and spray painted silver. The tail lights were repainted with a red acrylic paint.

The Batman figure here is smaller than most DC Universe Classics figures. I used him for these photos because the figures that this Batmobile was intended for are even smaller (5-6 inches tall) but I think it's a good fit for this figure and I will probably always end up displaying these two together.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm

X-Men: Custom 90's Cyclops by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I first became a fan of the X-Men in the 90's from watching the X-Men animated series on Saturday mornings. Comics artist Jim Lee redesigned the Cyclops costume he wore at the time and it is very indicative of the 90's. It's got a militaristic style with lots of superfluous straps and utility pouches. It is pretty silly, but that's what he wore when I was first getting into the X-Men and it's still my favorite look for the character.

Toy Biz actually did make a Cyke figure in this costume at one point, but it was fairly hard to find and goes for a fortune on the secondary market. I got a really good deal on a Marvel Select Cyclops figure and thought I could make my own. He originally came in his old school uniform with the hood that covers the whole top of his head. I sculpted the hair on and painted his forehead fleshtone. I sculpted the belt on his chest and back, the utility belt around his waist with all the pouches, and I sculpted all the bands around his forearms, thighs and calves. I cut thin strips of sculting clay and placed them on the figure the way I wanted and added the compartments and pouches on top of the strips. This sculpting clay is supposed to be baked in order for it to harden, but I couldn't put a plastic figure in the oven so instead I boiled water and poured it over him in the sink when I had all the clay parts just the way I wanted. I used yellow sculpting clay so I wouldn't have to do as much paint work, but I still did a wash and some drybrushing with a couple different shades of yellow.

Marvel Select figures are marketed more toward adult collectors and they aren't really meant to be played with very much. The plastic they use is not as durable as what Hasbro uses for the Legends line and unfortunately, Cyke's right arm broke off at the elbow joint when I was taking him out of the package. I tried to drill out a couple of holes and use a nail as a new pin to save the articulation, but I couldn't get it to look right and function at the same time so I just glued the arm back together at the elbow. Cyclops often puts his hand to his visor when he uses his optic blast, so I glued the arm with the elbow bent so he could accomplish his trakemark move. He retains all the rest of his original articulation besides the right elbow joint.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Custom Captain America Action Figure by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Like many of my older Marvel Legends, I bought this figure second-hand and had to repaint him to fix a bunch of sloppy paint, scuffs and chips. While I was at it I decided to paint the black shadow on his mask and give him a battle-damaged shield.

Custom Red Skull Action Figure by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This Red Skull figure originally had a blue and red color scheme that actually is comics accurate, but I thought it would look better in opposing colors to Captain America. I took a lot of inspiration from the Green and Yellow Hydra Costume. I took this photo using my Indiana Jones Castle Brunwald diorama as the backdrop.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 pm

X-Men 2 Movie Nightcrawler Repaint by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This is probably one of the best figures from any of the X-Men movie lines. He's kinda hard to find and I bought him loose on Ebay so I wouldn't spend too much. Unfortunately he was in used condition and needed some paintwork to make him display-ready. I did a lot of drybrushing and paint washes to help bring out all the amazing sculpted details.

Marvel Select Classic Nightcrawler by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

As soon as I got this figure I decided to paint on the black shadow around his eyes and forehead to make him look more like I remember him from the comics
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Batman: Custom Jim Balent Era Catwoman by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This Catwoman figure began as a Star Sapphire figure like the one pictured on the left. I picked this figure because of her boots, mask & skin-tight outfit. I bought 2 of them for $5 each on clearance so I could do this side by side shot and have spare parts if I messed up the first one.

First I removed Star Sapphire's collar and patched the hole left in her chest with sculpting clay. Then I carefully sanded off all the sculpted details on her chest and abdomen. I used sculpting clay to make the folds at the tops of her arm-length gloves and dyed the body with black Rit dye on the stovetop. I trimmed off her earrings and chopped off the back of her head with an Exacto knife then sculpted the rest of her mask and the back of her head with sculpty. I kept most of Star Sapphire's hair to glue onto the back of Catwoman's head and used sculpty to help blend it in. Catwoman's ears are the tips of Sapphire's white collar. Once all the sculpting was finished, I repainted her with acrylic paints.

The Star Sapphire figure came with a power ring sculpted on her right hand but instead of shaving it off, I glued on a fleck of silver glitter to make it look like a diamond ring as if Catwoman is wearing her latest aquisition. Catwoman's left hand originally belonged to a 3 3/4 inch Victor Creed figure from the Wolverine Origins movie line. I cut it off at the wrist, leaving a small peg to insert into Catwoman's wrist and sanded it down to look more feminine and to match up with her arm. Catwoman's bullwhip is a length of headphone cord that I coiled up and secured with a black twisty-tie. It may not come across in the photos, but I removed the coating from one end of the cord and spread the exposed wires apart to look like the frayed end of her whip.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:01 pm

The Atom by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

DC Universe Atom Action Figure. This figure is pretty hard to find so I snatched him up second-hand even though he had lots of really bad scuff marks and missing paint. I tried to match the original paint colors but they were still a little off, and I ultimately had to completely repaint him from head to toe. I think he turned out really good and I'm happy to finally add him to my collection!
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:05 am

These customs look great, OG. And that Lois looks gorgeous. What did you use for her hair? :mmgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:44 am

AcidDragon wrote:These customs look great, OG. And that Lois looks gorgeous. What did you use for her hair? :mmgrin:

Thanks! I just added a little modeling clay to the hair that was already there and tried to make it blend in using a toothpick to give it the right texture.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Action Figure Customs