Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

What's the excuse for Harley having bleached white skin now?

Talk comic books with other fans whether it's the latest New 52 material or some good old classics!

What's the excuse for Harley having bleached white skin now?

Postby S. Griffin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:58 am

Seems weird. I don't want to start another rag on the no-longer new continuity thread, but it seems hackneyed. Harley was never a female Joker. She was a lovesick, stockholm syndromey wannabe who empathized crazy and put white make-up on her face to be closer to her beautiful misunderstood Puddin.
What the hell happened? Seems cheap and easy and cliched, no matter how fun her new books are. On certain occasions when she was out of her preboot harlequin outfit, there was something so striking about Harley with peaches-and-cream skin and a stark white face in contrast.
I guess I just didn't notice until now? Or care?
Feh. It's late, I'm tired, and I have to pee.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Re: What's the excuse for Harley having bleached white skin

Postby Webslinger » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm

You never mess with a classic...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:04 pm

S. Griffin wrote:On certain occasions when she was out of her preboot harlequin outfit, there was something so striking about Harley with peaches-and-cream skin and a stark white face in contrast.

The thing about Harley Quinn that always appealed to me was knowing that beneath the harlequin costume and makeup was this:
1750244-harleyquinnkc7.jpg

The fact that she wasn't some goth hipster chick. she just had plain unstreaked ordinary blonde hair and practical make-up. When she wasn't Harley Quinn, she just looked so gorgeously simple.

Not the most flattering picture, but you get the idea. :joklol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doctor Fate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:19 pm

I really don't care for this look of Harley Quinn at all.

I always prefer the classic black/red outfit in the past.

That's my 2 cents worth on this subject matter.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Agreed...I'll add two more cents...
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby S. Griffin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:45 pm

So there is no excuse then? I noticed some artists haven't been doing the bleached white head to toe thing all the time, but it seems to be the norm on the new book. It just ****ing is? Seriously, does anybody know an in-universe reason?
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:44 pm

I read the first few terrible issues of the relaunch Suicide Squad and don't recall any reason given. Of course, it was such forgettable garbage I may not remember. I've stopped caring about the current DCU and I've found myself happier. Right now the only books I'm remotely following are Hickman's Avengers books and Spidey.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Hey Griff, they explain the reasoning behind her skin in Suicide Squad 6 and 7.
Spoiler:
Joker escapes Arkham with Harleen Quinzel and takes her to Ace Chemicals. He knocks her into a vat gives her the same chemical bath he got which somehow gives her the two toned hair, too, on top of the bleached skin.

I have very mixed feelings about it all. I almost wish they just made her a separate character which Joker replaced Harley with and Harley comes back and kicks her poser ass. :wwsmh: For me, the classic blonde civilian Harleen Quinzel that Paul Dini and Bruce Timm concocted was just as important a part of her character as her classic outfit.
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 pm

The New52 tended to ruin more things than it improved, IMO. But hey, at least Supes doesn't look ridiculous with underwear on the outside!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby S. Griffin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Princess_Amethyst wrote:Hey Griff, they explain the reasoning behind her skin in Suicide Squad 6 and 7.
Spoiler:
Joker escapes Arkham with Harleen Quinzel and takes her to Ace Chemicals. He knocks her into a vat gives her the same chemical bath he got which somehow gives her the two toned hair, too, on top of the bleached skin.

I almost said thanks for the info, but under the circumstances, I can't do it. That just sucks.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Next

Return to DC Comics