Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

BB-8 App controlled Droid

The toy line from a galaxy far far away! The section for fans of the movies, comics, vintage and modern toylines (Kenner, Hasbro Star Wars Black, etc), the Clone Saga, the WOTC miniatures game and more!

BB-8 App controlled Droid

Postby Webslinger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 am

Has anyone bought the BB-8 app controlled droid yet? I have been watching reviews and as I was initially excited for it I now finding myself wanting to wait a bit before dropping 150.00 on it. Thoughts on it? Does anyone own it or the Target version?
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: BB-8 App controlled Droid

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:37 am

As soon as I saw that promo video of it, I seriously wanted that thing but as soon as I saw a much better and more accurate review (although the reviewer admitted he still loved it after he realized he's been bamboozled) I am very glad I didn't waste $150 on something that only does half of what they promoted.

Like everyone I'm sure, I thought this was gonna be the toy to end all toys that we know of today...I was excited with all the bells and whistles they said it could do, like the hologram feature (which only displays a hologram on your own phone not a wall or mid-air thing), the insane level of detail (which is really just a large sticker on a ball, only the head is sculpted) and that he can communicate with you (which sadly he only communicates through your phone and doesn't make any noises himself)....

The reviewer also had a devil of a time controlling the thing and if it's that hard for an adult to use (which the head falls off for almost any reason), imagine if a kid was using it.

Honestly, for as cool as it looks, I'm happy I didn't see it anywhere. Now that's not to say if the tech is upgradable or they release an insanely better product in the future (I'm a "never buy the first of anything because the next models will always be better" kind of guy), then I'll revisit this concept...but that's my three cents...
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Webslinger » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:53 pm

I was at Alamo City Comic Con in San Antonio Saturday and they had the Target Exclusive BB-8 there and it retails for 79.99 but they were selling it at the con for, get this... 250.00!!! And someone actually bought it while I was standing there!!! Geez, I guess there really is a sucker born every minute... Hope that guy is happy with his APP-less droid.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:01 pm

That's insane!!!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Return to Star Wars