Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The Force Awakens Toys

The toy line from a galaxy far far away! The section for fans of the movies, comics, vintage and modern toylines (Kenner, Hasbro Star Wars Black, etc), the Clone Saga, the WOTC miniatures game and more!

The Force Awakens Toys

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:00 am

So, did anyone actually go out Thursday night?

I didn't but I was at a few stores yesterday and wound up picking up a Black Series Kylo Ren and Rey. Only saw them at one Walmart while Finn was at a couple stores so I figured I could wait on him. A lot more excited for the movie now. Amazing what toys can do to you, lol. After the last trilogy I wasn't super-excited for this, but now I'm a little more so.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Force Awakens Toys

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:55 pm

I went out Friday morning to my Target (which had 3 aisles devoted to all sorts of SW stuff; though only 3/4 was toy related)...got 6" Kylo Ren

Then went to Wally World and saw a much better showing of 6" figs; they had them all in duplicate or triplicate. Only got the (what was once $125 SDCC exclusive for a mere $19) new Storm trooper; all for silly wrapping...SO glad I didn't get in Hasbro's line and waste my days at SDCC

Sadly, it's hard for me to buy figures to a movie I havent seen yet; though I probably will anywho...Kylo is a solid figure where I think the new trooper is cheaply made.

I fear most of these figures will be peg warmers and Hasbro's terribly bad 3.75" movie line (with 5 point articulation?!?!?) will begin the downfall for us as collectors in big box retail stores...

Apologies for the rant boys....
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Five points? I didn't really pay any attention to the 3.75s, but I'm sure they'll sell tons at Christmas. Chewy and Finn seem to be the big warmers so far. I've seen them in multiple stores where Kylo and Rey I've seen once.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:43 am

My cousin told me that Pixel Dan did a review of Force Friday and he said he was just bashing Toys R Us with the lack of toys quantity (apparently they sold out of the 6" figs)...Dan also said some guy was so pissed they sold out, he stole a SW sign from his TRU and yelled it was for his brother....but I have yet to see it myself
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:45 am

Oh yeah, Dan also said that the Phantom Menace toy drop was infinitely better than Force Friday...wow!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I wouldn't even think of going to a Midnight sale for Star Wars, but since the six-inch line is considered an adult line, it wouldn't really be a surprise that they were under-ordered. You would think retail would order more adult stuff for a Midnight sale, but retail isn't known for forethought, so I can't see why anyone would expect differently. I went to two Walmarts the next afternoon and could've gotten the whole wave if I wanted too. But I just be Kylo and Rey that day. I've since gotten Finn and one Trooper.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:39 pm

All I was really interested in was Kylo-Ren and the Stormtrooper, I read on another website that some places were getting the 2nd wave on FF, some people scored Phasma, Poe and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:19 am

I picked up Kylo Ren and the Duck-trooper ( okay, that's what I call it) tonight.

This is the first Force Awakens stuff I've bought---certainly the first Hasbro stuff.

I think it's going to be the last. First impressions being lasting, I expected that the Black Series stuff would be a step-up at least.
It's not here.
I've looked over the dregs of the ransacked shelf sections at my local retailers, seen small vehicles and 4" figures......and they all look like somewhat rushed product. The sculpts are detailed, for the most part, but the paint apps look sloppy across the board.

Ren and Duck-trooper ( I will not stop calling him that) look like 4" figures in 6" ML scale format--meaning the paint apps ( on the Duck, especially) are not as precise as they could/should be. Kylo Ren really doesn't have many paint apps....a bit of light silver/gun-metal dry-brushing and that's it.
The Duck has a lot of attempted black detailing on the white armor---a LOT of it is hit-and-miss and it makes the figure come across as cheap.
That is kind of what irks me about these two examples: they cost $25 a piece, but they look like $8 figures with no accessories other than weapons. Ren has soft-goods, Duck is all plastic.

They pose just fine, with decent POAs, and they are at least a bit fiddly out of the box. They are tough to assess because so very little is known about them at this point. My step-son was quite critical of them both, more of the Duck than Ren. He expressed that had he gone to the opening night release of these, he'd have been profoundly disappointed in them as toys--and that the expense of effort to get them first off would have been a waste of time.
Holding these.........I agree. They are over-hyped as figures go.

But..........but........there's enough aesthetic with both to make them look cool enough to keep. I LIKE the Duck-trooper design--it's slick and evolved. Ren invokes a real sense of mystery about the character, much like Darth Maul. They are effective for what they are, if their execution as toys isn't fully up to snuff.

But these will be all I get, me thinks.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:46 pm

SPOILER ALERT!!
image.jpeg
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Is that a beef or chicken chimichanga??? And does it have cheese?
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Star Wars