Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

A guilty pleasure: NECA Commando John Matrix.

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

A guilty pleasure: NECA Commando John Matrix.

Postby Ken Davis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I have a confession........I like Ah-nold. I still do for the most part, despite his bad behaviour--but I tend to stay with his older films.
COMMANDO was, as far as I know, supposed to field a whole series of films, like the Rambo series. Didn't pan out that way. The movie did okay box-office for the time, but not enough to really push into sequels. That and Ah-nold was at a stage where he said he didn't want to do sequels. And then did a bunch of sequels.

It's a "colourful" action film--VERY 80's, and appropriately "bad" in a cinematic sense.

But, yeah, i still love it.
For a long time, I had a 7-inch figure of Matrix, from a cheapo toy line that came out with the movie. I also had the bare-chest Rambo from the Force of Freedom line. They were both the same scale, and could hold each other's gear. Sly and Arnie--together. They were paired on my shelves for about 20 years.

Cue the recent NECA Rambo II figure--with the bare chest. Another "bad" action movie I love. But the NECA figure was quite nice, and I thought about it.......but was going to pass because there was no Arnie for me. Yet.
Then NECA announced that they were doing COMMANDO, and Matrix, and I lost my fool mind.

I could "upgrade" my Hollywood Action pair--with new modern versions. I scored Sly a few months back, and waited for Arnie. And waited. And waited. All summer, into fall, and he came to my LCS yesterday.
He's a NECA figure........if you have Dutch from Predator---he's quite similar, but with a mostly unique sculpt. The appear to re-use his bare arms and hands from the Jungle Dutch, and maybe his torso and boots. The rest is new stuff.
Poses good, plastic is same as in the Predator series. The gear is lovely stuff. Re-use of the M-60 from Rambo II, but the Valmet M-78 is new. The missile launcher is a nice piece, with missiles that can be displayed launching from it--one even has a short contrail. Matrix comes with only one set of hands, I don't know if they are swappable with any others from Rambo or Dutch.
The sculpt is good, and this is a younger looking Arnie--the face is similar enough to the Dutch figures, but there are some differences. The vest is very well done, with all kinds of stuff on it.

POAs are the same as Dutch, and posing is decent. The camo body-paint apps are excellent.
This figure is one of the Ultimate format series items that NECA puts out. It rang up at $35 cdn at my LCS.

I've long wished they done more with Commando, and think that it might actually make a decent TV series. Cast, say.........John Cena in the role of Matrix and I think it might work. ( and give the poor schlub some work post-wrestling)
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Re: A guilty pleasure: NECA Commando John Matrix.

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:19 pm

It's really nice figure even just for the weapons assortment. I've looked at him a few times at TRU just haven't pulled the trigger. Figure he might get cheaper down the line since the Rambo figures eventually did.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:41 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:It's really nice figure even just for the weapons assortment. I've looked at him a few times at TRU just haven't pulled the trigger. Figure he might get cheaper down the line since the Rambo figures eventually did.

If you can get him cheaper, this figure is an outright gem.

If you like the Dutch figures from Predator ( I have the Jungle Patrol), then this is the same level of quality. It is NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread, though....the POAs don't have the greatest range, but if you like Dutch, this is the same thing.

I have a goal now to find the other weapons Matrix used--like the Uzi and the Mosberg shotgun in this scale. I think there's an Uzi out there, but the Mosberg might be trickier. The biggest kick for me was being able to pose him as in my pic above....THE hero shot from the movie.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby Webslinger » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:35 pm

I have this figure and yes the amount of weapons are a plus for me.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Return to General Toy Discussions