Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

DC "Rebirth"

Talk comic books with other fans whether it's the latest New 52 material or some good old classics!

Re: DC "Rebirth"

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:13 am

I did read Civil War II 0 this week, and if you ask which one looks more interesting, it's easily Rebirth. Civil War II was just another Bendis talking heads comic. Now if only Rebirth can erase Scott Lobdell from the DCU...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Ken Davis » Sat May 21, 2016 11:14 am

SECRET WARS taught me something about the epic cross-over events: in that if they are really going to muck about with characters in that way, then I'm not interested. SW damaged me a reader in as far as I've had my fill of getting on board an event, reading it to find out it is half-assed to awful and then finding I can't wait to get OFF-board of the thing. I don't even want to give this Civil War thing a chance.
Rebirth #1, I might go get, simply because I like the art I've seen, and I curious about how the stage going forward is to be set up. But the tie-in books?? Nope, not gonna play.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:04 pm

I didn't mind Secret Wars, it really dragged in the middle, but the payoff of Reed vs Doom was worth it. But most Marvel big events sort of start with an interesting idea then get progressively worse as they try to stretch 4-5 issue stories into 7-8 issue stories.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:48 pm

So, um, yeah, some things happened in that issue.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Sat May 28, 2016 2:56 am

I checked it out. Johns is still writing the same exact story he always does. Comics about comics about comics. Now openly dragging Alan Moore's work down, rather than the standard covertly.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat May 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm not a fan of DC "Rebirth" and I probably never, ever gets a chance to read it.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:50 am

What's the consensus here? Is it actually any good? I almost picked up the #1s for Flash, Aquaman, Superman and Batman today but opted to get some trades I was after instead.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:31 pm

I liked DC Rebirth. Flash, GL, WW, were pretty good. The only one I didn't care for was Green Arrow. I think they're definitely trying to right the ship, but not sure how long it'll last. They muddied so much of continuity that I feel like the next few years will be wiped away after the payoff from Rebirth plays out (Johns said somewhere it was a two year story and it feels kind of like a deus ex machine to reboot everything then again). So much of modern comics is reboots and relaunching titles after a handful of issues, it's really become difficult to even follow or care anymore since the next writer, which in most cases runs aren't that long anymore, just seem to go off in whatever direction they want with little regard to what came before (see: Bendis, Brian Michael)
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

I checked out Aquaman Rebirth. It was the usual stuff. Tolerable art, decompressed storytelling, unnecessary narration full of undisguised embarrassment about Aquaman. Meet the new fish.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Read the new GL title. Simon Baz now has Emerald Sight ( think Sword of Omens). Like I said, the problem with Rebirth is most of their writers are subpar at best.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics