Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Remembering Old Comics from our Childhood

Talk comic books with other fans whether it's the latest New 52 material or some good old classics!

Re: Remembering Old Comics from our Childhood

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Dude, at the time,Image was awesome, to me at least. It was just smash mouth comics. I think the late 90s marvel stuff is waaaaaay worse, in EVERY aspect. Image gets a lot more hate than they deserve. Its not amazing by any means, but its fun.

Now, my favorite comic when I was little was this. I dont why, but I always loved it.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 pm

faustX wrote:I grew up in the 90's so I read about a thousand 'First Amazing Issue!'s from Image. A couple of the lesser known favorites of mine from that era were Troll and Newmen, both of which were D-list Liefeld books. They were really fun though. One that was actually really good though was SuperPatriot, which came from the House of Larsen.

Dude, I remember a video where Stan Lee was talking to Rob Liefeld and he invented that character with the black stripe down his face. It was funny to see his train of thought. :joklol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Bo-rilla Grodd wrote:Dude, at the time,Image was awesome, to me at least. It was just smash mouth comics. I think the late 90s marvel stuff is waaaaaay worse, in EVERY aspect. Image gets a lot more hate than they deserve. Its not amazing by any means, but its fun.

Now, my favorite comic when I was little was this. I dont why, but I always loved it.

Yeah, I think I started getting out of comics when they began Spider-man's Clone Saga and the X-Men Age of Apocalypse. The only positive thing I could say about that was that they made Dazzler super hot. Other than that. :smummm: I since read some of the Age of Apocalypse stuff and some of it was pretty fun but mostly, I found it extremely dreary and depressing. I guess it depends on what I want to be reading about at a given time, eh?
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Dude, I remember a video where Stan Lee was talking to Rob Liefeld and he invented that character with the black stripe down his face. It was funny to see his train of thought. :joklol:

I know what video your talking about!!!! The denim between Liefield and Todd McFarlane is too much!!! Denim from head to toe at one point. And Every character they come up with, Stan Lee tries to steal. Lmao. That's some classic stuff right there.
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Bo-rilla Grodd wrote:I know what video your talking about!!!! The denim between Liefield and Todd McFarlane is too much!!! Denim from head to toe at one point. And Every character they come up with, Stan Lee tries to steal. Lmao. That's some classic stuff right there.

Haha yeah, maybe Liefeld was still sponsored by Levi's at the time?? And then the awkward exchange between Stan Lee and McFarlane was crazy funny. It was awesome to see their train of thought back then. "Kids like chains, let's put chains on him." and that character who was at the time named "Overkill" became Overtkill's prototype.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Ah, whenever I feel really down I like to read the "40 worst Leifeld drawings" and its sequel. Google it folks, and enjoy.

Seriously, go read it. Then sit down and draw a person on a piece of paper. Look at it and realize someone was getting paid and promoted by DC just a year ago to draw worse than all of us. Way worse.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:02 pm

download.jpg

This was always one of my favorite issues as a kid. I dont know why, except for the cover is so awesome. I always loved those 'one and done' issues when I was younger, I felt like I had gotten my moneys worth.
Anyways, Be weary of those yellow bulbs on you Christmas trees this year!!!!!!!!!
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 pm

1654236-youngblood_strikefile__1993__2.jpeg
This was another one that was my favorite when I was younger. I used to be in love with this cover.
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Avalon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I remember that cover pretty well. The funny thing was, I was pretty young at the time when that came out and and at the time I didn't realize it was a line going down with half of two character's faces. I thought that was what the guy looked like. :batlol:
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:42 pm

"Super Die Hard Patriot". He could fight "The Savage SpawnDragon". No, that wouldnt work.

Good thing Marvel and DC didnt try to just Combine 2 characters together, without even trying to have it make sense, oh wait................ ;)
Last edited by Bo-rilla Grodd on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics