Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 am

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

I love customs. I lost my job two years ago, and my wife works third shift so once the kids were asleep I had some free time. I started looking at a few figures I bought for the CnC pieces but didn't really care for. I'd seen a lot of other people make brilliant customs and was always a bit jealous. So I thought I'd give it a try. I was hooked. My early stuff isn't nearly as good or complex as my more recent stuff, but it takes practice, patience, and sometimes just the right supplies.

So I thought we'd start a thread to discuss customs. Feel free to discuss anything custom related. Wanted to do a certain character but can't figure out what to use? Not sure what paint color might work best? Sculpting supplies? Casting heads? Just about anything. Show a work in progress to get opinions or suggestions. It's all open for discussion.

I think customs are fun and rewarding. And now that DCIE is dead in the water, they're more important then ever to flesh out our collections. But this isn't just about DCIE. Post anything...He-man....Marvel...wrestling...anything with swapped parts or the slightest bit of paint.

Offer suggestions but please be polite and considerate. Note everyone works on the same levels or has the same experience--and some of us, two thumbs at this guy, aren't very good at photography. No nastiness or trolling. Helpful criticism is always welcomed.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Why am I on these forums if we can't read nasty-not-niceness! BOR-Ing!!!!

I too love the custom projects...I'm basically a self-taught artist and refined my style in college with an Illustration degree; haven't done much with that!

I appreciate having the openness to share with all of us so thanks for starting this up, PB! Unfortunately I have nothing in the works right now; though I do have a few pebbles rolling around inside my so-called mind...

But I guess the biggest and presumably least expensive thing is like to look into is casting/molding.

1) overall, is it cheaper than buying new figures over time?
2) does Hobby Lobby carry the equipment needed?
3) when casting a head, how do you go about putting the casted head onto the ball-joint?
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

I just started looking into head casting myself as head choices are getting tougher to acquire. I think it is cheaper in the long run especially if the head you need is a rarer figure. I haven't bought the supplies yet, but they are at Hobby Lobby. 40% off boo-yah. Generally the heads will heat and pop like a normal head. If you need to adjust the size of the hole generally a hot glue and a drill works fine. I just did this for an Abby Chase head.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

PB,

Thanks for the info and keep us posted to how the casting process works! Looking forward to seeing it.

I can see these being cheaper over the long-haul and it helps for the HTF figs so you don't wreck them in the process.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Tom Turbine » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

I've done quite a bit of casting in the past. Be veeery careful with the chemicals. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area or better yet, a garage with the door cracked wide open. The fumes are extremely harmful. I've actually got quite a bit of equipment for doing this sort of thing that I've acquired over the years for industrial purposes but I've not had the time to put it to use for a while.
In Seaboard City, crime doesn't pay!!
Tom Turbine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:03 pm

That's a good tip to know, thanks. The starter kit is on my Christmas list, so it's not like something I'll be starting next week. But I do plan on at least exploring. Lord knows getting certain heads isn't easy, so being able to reproduce an unlimited quantity would be very cool.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Make sure you get a tub of talcum powder. Put a bit of it on your mold and then tap the mold to get rid of the excess. It helps get the bubbles out when you cast the resin. Otherwise you need a vacuum degasser and it gets extremely expensive on the hobby level. :smsmile:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Hey Acid, I'm not sure we've ever seen a custom of yours. Show the world!

I really want to get going on a Scandal Savage but just can't settle on a head. I seen someone do a killer version with a Supergirl head, but I'm just not sure.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby HectorHall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 pm

I can post a couple wips of what i am working on
I am using the same recipe as DaMan(he does great stuff with obscure DC) from FigureRealm on Firehawk. He used foam for the wings, anybody got other ideas?

Very curious about casting, if just for heads, please keep talking about the process.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Sorceress immediately pops to mind, not sure if she'd work though.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Action Figure Customs