Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Marvel Legends at SDCC 2016

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Marvel Legends at SDCC 2016

Postby secondwhiteline » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am

So what did everyone think of the Marvel Legends offerings this year? Not a lot of unknown quantities, but I guess that's what happens when we're used to leaked information every other day.

Dazzler won the show. No doubt in my mind.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Marvel Legends at SDCC 2016

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm

I was pleasantly surprised that Mattel was making a few DC characters that I was interested in, but then Hasbro came and blew that out of the water. The only downer was seeing Songbird in the fan poll because that meant she wasn't forthcoming.

Disco Stu likes Disco Allison. Yeah, she was nice. Honestly, part of me was disappointed it wasn't her Outback look but she's still damn cool looking. But to me, the winner of the night was seeing that Sue Storm is coming! And she isn't ugly or dressed like a stripper. We really need a perfect set of the FF as every rendition that's been out so far has been lacking somewhere. She gives me great hope.

And Mary Jane is coming. Face it, tiger, we just hit the jackpot.

So for me it was Sue Storm, and that freaking space scoundrel, Lando that were the big winners of the weekend.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah, I hear you on Songbird - I have an Ellis-to-Parker era Thunderbolts setup that needs her.

Sue looked great! If a FF Classics wave is happening, that might be a full wave buy for me.

Mary Jane should be awesome, and she's a long-time coming. She's like the Lois Lane of Marvel: if you make only one civilian, she's the obvious choice. My Spider-Loyalty's with Spider-Gwen, though.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Pete and MJ will always be a couple in my mind. I've still found very few stories since they're breakup that really couldn't have been told with them still married. Sure, Superior Spiderman maybe, but they could've just had Pete move out or start acting weird. I just find my self emotionally detached from all the comics I even check out nowadays.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 am

I think that's why so many of the most popular Marvel titles lately have been new characters or concepts - they haven't had the chance to screw them up yet. I'll be enjoying Spider-Gwen and Ms. Marvel until they do.

And I'm not a big Parker fan, but he and MJ are so vividly drawn as a couple that it doesn't make sense to me that you'd ever want to break that apart permanently. It's like Lois and Clark or Sue and Reed - you can separate them for a bit, you can make one of them think the other is missing or worse, but they work so well that people just aren't going to accept them not getting back together in the end.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:00 pm

I think the Pete MJ breakup was the beginning of the end for me with comics. There have been some good Spidey stories since but I haven't found myself as dedicated to the book. And the new International Spiderman thing just isn't my thing. Peter more than anyone in Marvel, works best in NYC. Similar to Batman and Gotham, they're synonymous with each other. The FF can go off into other dimensions, the Avengers into space. But Spiderman is NY.

Besides a small handful of writers, I just don't find too may at Marvel and DC very good on a consistent basis.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:14 am

The Raft set and the rest of SDCC Hasbro stuff went live for those in need.
http://tinyurl.com/DCTRSDCC
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Seems like they could've knocked like $10-15 off that price by not including a Spider-Man figure. Don't get that at all.

I don't know much about Dreadknight, but if I can find him for a reasonable price I'd buy him for the look. Enchantress I might get from the Strange wave. But I was really hoping for some Thunderbolts in a villains set.

Also, I really hope SDCC Luke Cage gets re-released at some point, because holy crap $120 on eBay now.

What is it with me and not-quite-villain teams, anyway.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Yeah, paying an extra $20 this year for Spidey kind of sucks. Especially because they could've put any generic body villain in his place for the same price. Eel...the Spot...etc.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:36 pm

They could've put Eel in and made room in Cap Wave 3 for that movie Crossbones, really. Or just cut the set down to five (why is sandy Sandman in here, anyway?), because it seems excessive as-is.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion