Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

DC Trading Cards

This area is for DC related collectibles that do not fall under the above categories. This includes things like Minimates, Squinkies, Hot Toys, Figuarts, Funko POP vinyls, statues, props, boardgames, etc.

DC Trading Cards

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:50 am

LOL. Did any of you guys collect these? When I was a kid, I pretty much exclusively collected Marvel Universe cards only but DC made these DC Comics "Cosmic" cards in the '90s to compete with Marvel and most of the kids I knew thought they were pretty lame. Plasmus is actually the first DC card I ever owned which I got in a trade and he was like "Can I give you one of these DC cards instead? They're crap."

Funny thing, as I got older, I became a much bigger DC fan and ended up buying a set of the silver bordered cards at a flea market years ago and really really liked them. For some reason I was looking at them online a little while back and I realized that there were MORE cards. They had a teams set with the Titans, Justice League International, etc. and they also had these funky pop art cards so I bought them off eBay (you can get them dirt cheap, there's actually an auction going on right now that has the entire first series for $5.00).

You can view 10 pages of cards below including the infamous (although not the actual one I got back in the day, that one is probably bent to heck) Plasmus card on Page 6, dead center card. :smgrin:

7 8 9 10 11 1213 14 15 16
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DC Trading Cards

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

What's the deal with Plasmus?! Seriously...

I never got into these cards, kinda took a bit of a comics break in the 90's but still bought toys up the waszoo! I had some marvel cards that I gave to my cousin...
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Was kind of thinking of getting into the Vs. Card System but not really sure what the cards are really like and I don't want to go around chasing rare card variants and stuff like that but it might be a fun game to kill time on a rainy day. :batsmile:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rex Mason » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 pm

I remember collecting those guys when they came out. I have very fond memories of the original DC series (although it bothered me that they didn't have the rights to the Bat-characters even then). I collected DC cards from the Topps '89 Batman cards through Batman Forever-ish era. Lots of cool cards in that time, including the Villain's line during Underworld Unleashed, the Death of Superman cards, and my favorite, Saga of the Batman (I think that's what it was called).

I even bought the DC pogs during that craze...
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Heh, I remember getting some Batman movie cards that came in wax paper packaging and had really bad gum in it. There were cards that were lenticular. One of the scenes featured Jack Nicholson Joker shaking hands with the mobster and when you shifted it, he was getting fried.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

AcidDragon wrote:Heh, I remember getting some Batman movie cards that came in wax paper packaging and had really bad gum in it. There were cards that were lenticular. One of the scenes featured Jack Nicholson Joker shaking hands with the mobster and when you shifted it, he was getting fried.

I don't remember any lenticular cards in the Topps line. They were pretty cheap cardboard-looking things if I remember right. Any pictures of the ones you're talking about? They sound pretty cool.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 am

Oh snap, you're right, Rex. Now that I think about it, those may have actually been cereal prizes I was thinking about. There was a Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne/Batman and a Joker electrocuting a mobster, I believe, and possibly some other ones.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

Those still sound pretty awesome. The 89 movie is one of my favorite things to collect, so I'll have to keep an eye out for them...
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Jeez, I found a card listed on eBay yesterday but now it's gone but here's an auction with pictures of the cereal box and what the cards look like. I guess they change into 3 different images on the lenticular cards. :smgrin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cereal-box-19 ... 1051364160
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Very cool. I never knew those existed.

Must... search... must... purchase...
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Miscellaneous DC Related Collectibles