Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Oversized Doomsday Tooling Speculation Thread

Discuss the ever popular character comprehensive line "DC Universe Classics" here! This also includes DC Superheroes, DC Universe Classics, DC Unlimited, Batman Unlimited, Club Infinite Earths, Movie Masters, 1966 Batman TV Series, Club Black Freighter, Total Heroes and any other DC figure line utilizing the 6" scale.

Oversized Doomsday Tooling Speculation Thread

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 pm

So there's a lot of debate over whether or not the Unleashed Doomsday has more tooled parts than the Containment Suit Doomsday. How many newly tooled parts he's actually composed of. How many parts they share. How many parts they don't share. Etc, etc. I hope people find this thread useful. If you find any mistakes, let me know. I Photoshopped and isolated everything into different segments. Hope this gives everyone a better idea of what's what. :smgrin:

Here are the two new figures side by side:

These are the parts that appear to have been reused from past oversized figures:

These are the newly tooled parts:

These are the parts they share assuming that the bone spikes on his chest and back are applied/glued on afterwards:

These are the parts that they do not share and must be newly tooled separately:

And there you go!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oversized Doomsday Tooling Speculation Thread

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 am

Nice idea and good job identifying the parts. No matter which way you slice it, both figures seem evenly matched in terms of tooling. It'll be interesting what Mattel does from here on out.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Havok1891 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 am

Yes, nice work Acid. I think Unleashed Doomsday will happen someday. We could have a long wait, but I think it will happen. Containment Suit Doomsday would be made first, that always seemed the most likely. We are getting him, which is nice for fans of that version. But he doesn't mean the Unleashed will never ever get a shot.

If Containment Suit Doomsday sells well enough, his profits could green light Unleashed and Mattel could add all sorts of price hikes to him in order to figure out how to really cash in on all that tooling.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby 1987olds442 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 am

Awesome thread and great job in diagramming out the different parts it really shows how even the tooling would be for each if not leaning a little more for the CS Doomsday in having more tooling.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby beastovjudgement » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:22 am

I think it is a case of the containment suit version actually having been tooled. Mattel probably went ahead with the tooling, as they expected to reach tier one, and Doomsday was scheduled for first-quarter release. Tier two was very unlikely given the line's history, so naked Doomsday was not yet tooled, being held back for a possible later year release. If tier two had somehow gone through, Mattel would have went ahead with tooling and production on Doomsday and other later 2014 figures. As things turned out, it was not viable for Mattel to commit further resources. It could still be possible at some point in the future, but for now tier two Doomsday does not seem likely.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby tonyrome » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:48 am

Very nice work, I really like it and think it gives us alot of clarification. I think the fists might be an old tool from Brimestone.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Hey Tony, you're right. Unfortunately, when I first checked Brimstone, he was behind a bunch of figures and I couldn't get his fist to twist on the shelf so idiotically I assumed it was a single piece with his forearm. After I was done the images and about to go to bed, it bugged me so I took him off the shelf to make sure (and all my figures fell over including the Parademons behind him) and to my disdain, although it was initially stuck, it twisted free so I groaned, went and refixed the pics and reupped them but stupid me, I didn't clean out the forum cache before heading off to bed nor did I check to make sure it was fixed in the main post. :batblush: I probably wouldn't have even noticed that they weren't updated if you didn't say anything. Thank you so much. If you catch anything else, let me know! :batgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:38 pm

beastovjudgement wrote:I think it is a case of the containment suit version actually having been tooled.

Hey beast,

That would make a lot of sense. Especially since they're releasing him and they said themselves that they'd only be selling stuff that was already tooled. My guess is they'll probably gauge whether it's worth tooling the additional (7?) parts to make Unleashed Doomsday after seeing how well these do.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Avalon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Great job and very good idea Acid! It's easier to wrap my head around it with these diagrams. :halgrin:
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Very cool idea and perfectly executed! For me personally they are both entirely too large to be comics accurate, but they are really amazing looking and I can't say I wouldn't pick up one if they became available for sale.

Why couldn't they make these to order like Castle Greyskull? Why not offer it as an internet exclusive on a site like Amazon? They could sell them through Diamond to comic shops and specialty stores or at the very least they could sell them as a website exclusive on mattycollector.com I just don't understand why we have to choose between a crappy Subscription or Nothing at all. :smhuh:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to DC Universe Classics and Assorted 6" Scale from Mattel