Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

WWE Figures!

Wanna talk about your LJN Hulkster or that weird, skinny body Samoa Joe TNA figure? Maybe you've got some cool wrestling swag? Step up to the gorilla position and snap in to it, oh yeah!

Re: WWE Figures!

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:23 am

One thing about the Road Warriors is that I always hear that they were pretty stiff and took a lot of liberties with wrestlers to the extreme and they didn't like doing the job. I saw this one match with the Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and a very young Mark Callaway/Undertaker) where Spivey seemed to go crazy with the steel chair on Hawk at the end of the match.

Some time later, I saw a shoot interview with Spivey who confessed that he did that on purpose because they refused to put them over even though Taker did the job for them and after shooting on him with the chair, Callaway got scared and told Spivey they'd probably have to leave or fight them and Spivey told him not to worry about it and then LoD show up and they congratulate them on a great match and Hawk had no idea that Spivey even stiffed him with that chair. That chair was warped to heck. LOL. I love Spivey.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:27 am

secondwhiteline wrote:The Mutants line is supposed to get some kind of second wave, although from the looks of the lineup it's just the first wave with a couple new figures replacing a couple others. So more of a running change. The interesting thing is that Sasha Banks is slated for wave 2, and I'm wondering what gimmick she's gonna have for it.

Probably should've been a steampunk robot Becky or vengeance demon Asuka, really.

Speaking of women's prowrestling, I'd be so poor if they ever released a highly articulated Joshi line.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doctor Fate » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:17 am

AcidDragon wrote:Nice job, Doc! That's a great price for that set. I love the red set and kind of wish they had the set in blue as well in elite format for variety. They've already produced a lot of classic teams, but I hope they do even more. So far, we have LoD, Demolition, the Wild Samoans, the Hart Foundation, the Rockers, the Bushwackers, Money Inc., the Natural Disasters, the Twin Towers, the Brainbusters, the Nasty Boyz, Piper and Bob Orton, Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik, Kerry and Kevin Von Erich.

I'd still like to see Powers of Pain, Power and Glory, the Oriental Express, the Dream Team, the British Bulldogs, the Killer Bees, the Fabulous Rougeaus and even Los Conquistadors. Still waiting for an 80s Mr. Fuji, Lou Albano and Precious Paul Ellering.

I know that many of you do not like the Road Warriors and the Legion of Doom ... but to me they are pound to pound one of the greatest tag-team in history of Wrestling and their team song and What A Rush trademarks ... makes them one of the most celebrated team of all times.

I met Animal once at a WCW event and he is quite a character and one thing about them they are so cool in those costumes especially the Red Legion of Doom look - they are menacing and destructive. Animal was brutally strong and many of the reporters that covered Wrestling - they are a pair of Walking Refrigerators and that stuck with them never since.

Thanks Acid and I just can't wait to get them in the few days.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:04 am

AcidDragon wrote:
secondwhiteline wrote:The Mutants line is supposed to get some kind of second wave, although from the looks of the lineup it's just the first wave with a couple new figures replacing a couple others. So more of a running change. The interesting thing is that Sasha Banks is slated for wave 2, and I'm wondering what gimmick she's gonna have for it.

Probably should've been a steampunk robot Becky or vengeance demon Asuka, really.

Speaking of women's prowrestling, I'd be so poor if they ever released a highly articulated Joshi line.

Oh man, me too. Crush Gals, Akira Hokuto, Manami Toyota, Aja Kong...I'm still hoping against hope that Matty's gonna release the Jumping Bomb Angels in the WWE line. I'd take a RSC exclusive, whatever it takes.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 am

AcidDragon wrote:One thing about the Road Warriors is that I always hear that they were pretty stiff and took a lot of liberties with wrestlers to the extreme and they didn't like doing the job. I saw this one match with the Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and a very young Mark Callaway/Undertaker) where Spivey seemed to go crazy with the steel chair on Hawk at the end of the match.

Some time later, I saw a shoot interview with Spivey who confessed that he did that on purpose because they refused to put them over even though Taker did the job for them and after shooting on him with the chair, Callaway got scared and told Spivey they'd probably have to leave or fight them and Spivey told him not to worry about it and then LoD show up and they congratulate them on a great match and Hawk had no idea that Spivey even stiffed him with that chair. That chair was warped to heck. LOL. I love Spivey.

Spivey is so underrated! I really gotta search up more of his Japan stuff, dude was a great power guy from everything I've seen.

The Road Warriors are legendary for being stiff, but I think it's more in the realm of potato-ing guys than being totally reckless. I haven't heard of them causing any injuries, despite tossing job guys around like crazy. They also didn't seem to care if you stiffed them, because they were insane and coked/roided up. I think a lot of things with them are just the result of having a really peculiar run in the industry - they were always really protected and moved around a lot, so they were probably really careful about keeping up their aura. There's a lot of great Cornette stories about the Road Warriors, like at the end of their NWA run going out of their way to job to the Midnights but with like every screwjob finish you could think of rolled into one...and management still getting angry that the Warriors jobbed!
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

Doctor Fate wrote:I know that many of you do not like the Road Warriors and the Legion of Doom ... but to me they are pound to pound one of the greatest tag-team in history of Wrestling and their team song and What A Rush trademarks ... makes them one of the most celebrated team of all times.

I met Animal once at a WCW event and he is quite a character and one thing about them they are so cool in those costumes especially the Red Legion of Doom look - they are menacing and destructive. Animal was brutally strong and many of the reporters that covered Wrestling - they are a pair of Walking Refrigerators and that stuck with them never since.

Thanks Acid and I just can't wait to get them in the few days.

You bet, no doubt that they rank among the most influential tag teams in wrestling history. Hawk was unique in his brawling big man style combined with some high flying fun and Animal was a beast. That's awesome you got to meet Animal. I hear he's actually quite a fairly fan friendly guy! Any truth to that? Here's a couple pics of Animal and his two real life brothers, Johnny Ace (John Laurinaitis) and The Terminator (Marc Laurinaitis).

laurenitisbros.jpg

laurenitisbroswin.png
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 am

secondwhiteline wrote:Oh man, me too. Crush Gals, Akira Hokuto, Manami Toyota, Aja Kong...I'm still hoping against hope that Matty's gonna release the Jumping Bomb Angels in the WWE line. I'd take a RSC exclusive, whatever it takes.

I'd definitely be onboard for Jumping Bomb Angels and all the ones you mentioned. In the 90s, Aja Kong, Tomoko Watanabe, and Lioness Asuka teamed with Bertha Faye to take on Alundra Blayze's team of Kyoko Inoue, Sakie Hasegawa, and Chaparita Asari at Survivor Series. I remember an especially gruesome squash where Aja Kong delivered her brutal backfist that blew up Asari's face on RAW. If they did a heritage pack with that match featured, I'd be mind blown. Can't neglect FMW's women's division, they featured a lot of cross promo work with Gaia Girls and All Japan Women's. Megumi Kudo was a thrill to watch. So on board for a Hokuto, too. Gotta include nunchucks accessory. Even better, do a husband and wife two pack with Kensuke Sasaki to bring me one step closer to recreating Hellraisers with Hawk of LoD. :bafspaz:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 am

secondwhiteline wrote:Spivey is so underrated! I really gotta search up more of his Japan stuff, dude was a great power guy from everything I've seen.

Spivey was definitely underrated as were many of the gaijin who found fame over in All Japan. I wouldn't exactly call Stan Hansen underrated but he's definitely got more renown in Japan than he did here and that's a shame because he was another awesome star to watch. The original Patriot Del Wilkes was another big guy wrestler who was pretty great during his All Japan run. He used to tag with George Hines who wore a mask at the time as The Eagle. I think there's also something about wrestling in Japan that makes the gaijin wrestlers kick it up a notch. It was crazy to see the Hulkster actually chain wrestling in New Japan against Tatsumi Fujinami. I actually saw an old match recently where Sting did the job clean to Spivey at an All Japan show and then he did a heel move at the end attacking Spivey post match. Crazy stuff.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

Let me know what you think of the set when they arrive, Doc. I was pretty impressed with their likenesses and quality. Are there any other ones that caught your eye or do you think this set is it for you? Any other old school wrestlers you feel are deserving a figure but haven't been made yet??
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 am

AcidDragon wrote:Let me know what you think of the set when they arrive, Doc. I was pretty impressed with their likenesses and quality. Are there any other ones that caught your eye or do you think this set is it for you? Any other old school wrestlers you feel are deserving a figure but haven't been made yet??

Will do Acid and I should be getting them by next Thursday at the latest.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Wrestling Toys & Collectibles