Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Various Comic-Con reviews

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Various Comic-Con reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi gang..I just came back from 2 cons (of a sort) over the weekend; c2e2 and Kane County Toy Show in St Charles, IL.

C2e2 review:
- $35 entry fee (pay to park, or park free on street if you're fast enough to find one)
- still large but has a very disheveled look to it
- sadly had few toy vendors and of those, good vendors were hard to find
- a good group of comic vendors but half of them were only dealing extremely high priced books; anyone have an extra $700k for a graded Detective Comics 27?
- artists and celebrities attendance was pretty weak
- even cosplay was lacking, though started to pick up around 3
- last year they sent our a survey (so I'm guessing they already knew about the quality drop) and I hope they do again...
- WORST thing is they're now having a micro-brew vendor and we now have idiots getting drunk and wandering around with wide open beer mugs into comic and toy vendors areas; if I was a vendor I'd be FUMING!

Grade: C (as a result of poor showings in all facets for 2 years in a row, sadly I will be taking a break from c2e2)

Kane County Toy Show review:
- 600 plus dealers (ranging from classic action figures, 40's-50's metal toys, vintage Star Wars, MEGO, Barbies, Transformers, traditional dolls, art pages, comic books and so much more!)
- $10 entry and free parking
- show runs twice a year: April and October
- fair (ready to "wheel and deal") dealers with great options
- still has that classic flea market vibe but with near gold (if you can afford it) in every building

Grade: A (Idiot Certified) I will henceforth be attending one or both for the next few years
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Re: Various Comic-Con reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 am

Nice, did you find anything cool???
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Nice, did you find anything cool???

At the con I snagged some sweet signatures from a few artists and an extra sweet and lucky autograph from Dan Jurgens on my "Reign of the Supermen" retailer promo book! Some other comics and a Power of the Force Storm Trooper Luke complete with helmet and blaster.

At the toy show i got a few more comics and my Holy Grail Transformers FORTRESS MAXIMUS (missing only 3 small pieces, but had a bonus Huffer figure hiding inside his leg from the previous owner)!

Spent a lot of dough but it was SO worth it
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Webslinger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:13 am

I'm headed to a local conventions this friday, gonna spend the whole weekend there...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Webslinger wrote:I'm headed to a local conventions this friday, gonna spend the whole weekend there...

I love the smaller cons anyways...sure it's fun to see big timers and companies but small time is the way to go; tell us what you find and happy hunting!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 am

I was hoping to make it out to the Calgary Expo this year but unfortunately I wasn't able to. Had a pretty great line-up, too. Great finds at the con, Savant!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Well I got my newest costume completed and had my Dr. Strange costume dry cleaned, man did I get some looks when I brought it in lmao. I'll post some pics Monday when I get back for you all to see.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Snazzy. Can't wait to see who you're cosplaying as this time around. I actually went to a couple cons in costume the last couple years. It was pretty fun.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 am

Webslinger wrote:Well I got my newest costume completed and had my Dr. Strange costume dry cleaned, man did I get some looks when I brought it in lmao. I'll post some pics Monday when I get back for you all to see.

Looking forward seeing those pictures ... Webs :spgrin:
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am

I used to go Comic-Cons in the 80's and the 90's and I dab a little bit in the cosplay department of which I was Zorro and I lost the pictures that my Mom took and I regretted that. And, I also was Captain (DC Comics) Marvel once of which I paid $100 to rent for 3 days for a Comic Con that I went to in San Diego in 1989 and I was there for two days. I went to a Costume Party 1st and went to Comic Con on the 5th and 6th of August that year.

The main reasons why I avoid them is they are very crowded, noisy, and too many rude people there and that's the main reasons why I don't go. I have never, ever gone to the Comic Con in my own city - Emerald City Comic Con and having said that I have no interest and desire for.

That's all I have say about them. :)
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Return to Special Events