Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Top 5 for retro line

Our favourite shell backs are back with a new hit TV series, a new movie and a plethora of colourful action figures to boot!

Top 5 for retro line

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Im a sucker for lists, and didnt want to crowd up the other topics.With the 4 turtles already out for the 6 inch retro line, and Bebop and Rocksteady arriving shortly, I thought I would ask what other classic turtles figures do you want redone in this style. Here's my top 5 (and I didnt include Shredder just for the simple fact that I know he's being made). My votes are purely on the opinions I had for the original figures, not so much my love for the characters.

5. Triceraton: I saw you guys talking about it in the other topic. A perfect choice for (as you guys said) army builder or just a lone renegade soldier. Always one of my favs growing up.

4. Baxter Stockman: Fly. This would look awesome. Especially if they could get the extra arms and wings like they were on the original. I could take or leave the fly swatter, though.

3. DirtBag: Always one of my favorite figures, but cant recall him being on the show. He always looked like a bada$$$ to me, and if the figure still holds up today, then a 6in version would be awesome.

2.Rat king: My favorite villian from the turtleverse, This was a figure that I couldnt find when I was little. With a new one, complete with the bandages and extra rats to pose, the turtles would shake in fear, but I would be ecstatic.

1. Panda Khan: Now I admit, this is a sentimental favorite, but I just always had a love for this guy. I mean a samurai with a laser gun?!?! I absolutely love that figure, and to have him in that form would be a dream come true(sad I know). the odds arent too good, But I can hope, Rite?

Cowabunga.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Re: Top 5 for retro line

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:56 pm

mutantfrogs.jpg

Great list, Bo-rilla. I also think great candidates for the Retro-line would be to do 4 cartoon accurate Frogs. The original toyline had Genghis Frog but Napoleon Bonafrog was a horned toad which while was a cool figure, wasn't accurate. I think this would be a great opportunity for them to re-use the same body with just new weapons and paint decos. My top 5 would be:

1. Usagi Yojimbo

2. Scumbag

3. Mutagen Man

4. Panda Khan

5. Wyrm

I loved the really weird looking mutants. I also really liked Panda Khan because he looked really badass, reminded me of the polar bear boss in TMNT II: The Arcade Game that never seemed to resurface in any other media ever again. :batlol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Absolutely!!! Thats a good list, too. the four frog brothers would be cool, and mutagen man would be a great choice!!! Honestly, I think the rogues gallery for the turtles is really underrated.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Crazy Jetty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 am

Assuming that Splinter, Shredder, and April are on Playmate's shortlist:

1- Ninjara, she deserves a toy more than anyone.

2- Miyamoto Usagi, but only if he's comic accurate.

3- Wingnut & Screwloose

4- Ray Fillet

5- Leatherhead

Giant Mutants: Would love to see the bee and mosquito redone. And add to them in this giant scale Armaggon and Cuddly the Cowlick.

Honorable mentions:
Mondo Gecko- Just barily missed the list
Krang's android body with removable Krang, plus his little pod thing as an accessory- Likewise, just barily missed the list
Slash- Ditto
Tokka and Rahzar
Mona Lisa
Metalhead
Any other Mighty Mutanimal
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby Anarky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 am

1. April. She was my main fighter as a kid and classics doesn't seem right without her.

2. Mutagen man

3. Muckman

4. Mona Lisa

5. Krang Android body
Anarky
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Caleb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Can we just vote for all of them? Splinter, Shredder, and April would be my Top Three, but I kind of feel like the first two are "Sure Things" to be revealed at either NYCC or TF, and I figure April won't be far behind - at the very least, she'd be a cool SDCC Exclusive. So, that said...

5.) Usagi Yojimbo. Does he need a reason to be made, really? Besides being Usagi, and therefore awesome? Seriously, though, this is easily one of my favorite figures in the classic line. Regardless of the awesome Usagi comics released back when I was in HS, he's just a fun, goofy-looking character who also happens to be - sorry, Po the Panda - the most badass furry ninja critter in existence.

4.) Pizza-Face. I'm not sure why I like this guy so much. I remember absolutely nothing about him besides the fact that he had a cleaver or a pizza cutter for a leg, was as drooly and gross as you'd want a mutant pizza chef to be, and looked like the kind of guy one might find hanging around in the back of an el train. Plus, the fact that his weapons were pizza throwing discs is all kinds of awesome.

3.) Wyrm. Seriously. what the heck was this dude supposed to even be? Easily one of the craziest figures in the original line, and I'd love to see Playmates take another shot at him in the Retro series.

2.) Casey Jones. Besides the fact that he's Casey Jones, a vigilante who beats people with golf clubs, baseball bats, and other sporty clubs? Okay, the goofy 90's sweatpants definitely need an upgrade, and it'd be nice to have a classic Casey with a removable mask. Honestly, in a line full of all sorts of crazy stuff, Casey still managed to hold his own with a belly shirt, semi-fro, horror mask, and scads of beatin' sticks. Cricket? CRICKET?!

1.) Muckman and Joe Eyeball. My favorite figure in the whole line, probably - if you don't remember him, he's the big pile of snot / garbage who you could pour slime into. Then it leaked out of his belly button. Or you could dump it in his head and make him drool it on his feed. He also carried this goofy little alien dude with - yep - really long eyes. Essentially, Muckman is walking garbage with a dazed grimace on his face, and you can just imagine how bad he smells when you stare at the figure. A rehash of Muckman would no doubt be amazing.

Hon. Mentions: Triceraton, Chrome Dome, Walkabout, Ace Duck, Fugitoid
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Wyrm was supposed to be a Planarian flatworm, but his Playmates design was soooo wacky. :smlol: . That's why I want the figure. And I mean it was also cool that it had planarian flatworms that you could put in his mouth. In the Archie Adventures comic, he was just a plain yellow colour with a few brown spots and some brown hair poking out of his head. Come to think of it, Scumbag didn't look anything like his toy counterpart, either.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:04 am

Hahaha, man, I never really picked up on that. His head is kind of shaped like a flatworm, but the gigantic mouth really throws me for a loop.

If I remember correctly, didn't the Archie version of Scumbug look like he belonged in a Batman comic? I know some of the artists on TMNT Adventures were a bit more cartoon-ish than the others, and I for some reason remember Scumbug looking like he'd walked in from a darker DC comic.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Haha, I dunno about Scumbag being darker, but he looked a lot more like a cockroach. The toy looked like, I dunno, some sort of weird pink rastafarian alien water beetle.

Here's some scans I did of the two from the Archie comics, Issue 10. I remember it well because it's the first one I ever saw.
scumbagarchie.jpg

wyrmarchie.jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Havok1891 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Hmm, this is a good topic.

For me, I gotta go with who I call liking as a toy from my childhood (assuming Splinter & Shredder are made).

1. Baxter
2. Leatherhead
3. Casey Jones
4. April
5. Foot Ninja

I really can't remember too many more.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles