Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

U.S. toymaker Hasbro makes new approach to buy Mattel

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:43 am

Hasbro Inc (HAS.O) has made an approach to acquire rival Mattel Inc (MAT.O), a source familiar with the matter said on Friday, the latest attempt to combine the two biggest U.S. toymakers in more than two decades.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mattel-m-a-hasbro/u-s-toymaker-hasbro-makes-new-approach-to-buy-mattel-source-idUSKBN1DA2WV

http://beta.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hasbro-mattel-takeover-20171110-story.html

My thoughts
According to my friends ... Mattel is struggling and I find this not good at all. I just reporting the news and I find this not good at all. Any thoughts, Members.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Re: U.S. toymaker Hasbro makes new approach to buy Mattel

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm

This is Disney's influence run amuck...I don't doubt that Mattel is in trouble, just look at the garbage they've been putting out since DCUC for proof. But thankfully they've taken several steps in the right direction as far as our collecting is concerned.

Is this a good move overall? I am all for competition but there just isn't any at the moment; Hasbro is just that much farther ahead.

If Has-tel/Mat-bro is able to keep the DC licenses (that may be pulled as a result?) then I'd have to say yes for my collectibles. Just look at the amazing job Hasbro has been doing with their 3-D print tech and it'll just get better.

My 2 cents
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Re: U.S. toymaker Hasbro makes new approach to buy Mattel

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I really wish those articles had more detail about the particular issues facing Mattel. They mention the general trials faced by the toy sector, especially with kids moving more towards electronics and somewhat away from traditional toys, but why has Hasbro weathered that better than Mattel? Is it just that their brands are more relevant to kids now? I mean, looking at Matty's lineup, it does feel awfully stodgy: Barbie and Hot Wheels vs. Star Wars, Marvel, and My Little Pony. I can't imagine DC's difficulty in establishing their movie universe has helped them, either.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to General Discussions