Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Heroes/Villains Whose Designs Defy Convention...

Discuss all Marvel related media here whether it's comics, games, movies, TV series, animated programs and more!

Heroes/Villains Whose Designs Defy Convention...

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:45 am

Hey guys, I was just tidying around the home and unboxing toys/getting rid of packaging. I came across this Marvel Universe 3 Pack for the Guardians of the Galaxy that I bought when it came out but never got around to unboxing until now and it reminded me of how much Drax the Destroyer looks like a villain. Not just now, but he's always looked like a villain. I didn't know anything about Drax when I was a kid and when I collected the Marvel cards, he was featured in Series 1993 and for the longest time, I thought he was a villain. Imagine my surprise ages later when I looked at the cards again and saw his card said "Super Heroes". So when you think of "Heroes who look more like villains." and "Villains who look more like heroes.", who comes to mind? :smgrin:

draxdestroyer.JPG

draxdest.jpg

Drax-the-Destroyer-e1341503673581.jpg
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heroes/Villains Whose Designs Defy Convention...

Postby beastovjudgement » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 am

Green and purple are the traditional super-villain colors. The Prowler also fits this mold. I am sure there are many others, though I can't think of them right now.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Yep. Annihilus, Kang, Green Goblin, the Wrecker, even the Lizard to a certain degree. There's definitely a recurring theme there.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:07 pm

I mean, isnt the appeal of Batman that he looks like a villian? I would say so. Spawn too, to a certain degree.
All the guys I would say walk that line btwn hero and villian anyway, Obsidian, Atom Smasher, Spectre, the Hulk.

The two when I was little was Snout Spout and Starscream. Till this day, It still looks like they should be reversed. Maybe for Starscream its the colors. IDK.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm

That and all the G1 TFs seem to be sculpted with pleasant looking faces. Except Optimus, but if we removed the mask, I bet he'd be hiding a grin, too. :smgrin:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Avalon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Pretty much every character from Image Comics. lol. Particularly Brigade. Cyberforce. Young Blood. Etc. Hawk from Hawk and Dove looks more like a villain. Spoiler doesn't look much like a superheroine and her design is unusual for a girl character. Killer Moth doesn't really look like a bad guy.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Crazy Jetty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Anywone designed by rob liefeld does not look like a hero .
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby beastovjudgement » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:51 am

Characters designed by Rob Liefeld do actually look very heroic. They are all attempting to fight crime, even while suffering from debilitating bodily deformities which would confine most humans to a wheelchair, at best. His female characters, especially, all have horrible spinal conditions, and yet still they persevere in their missions. And, look at all the brave men and women who go forth every day with either no feet at all, or very tiny feet which they self-consciously keep shrouded in ground-level mist, or hidden behind small rocks. How can anyone call that unheroic? Brigade, especially, deserve mention for the way they defeated the evil overlord Darkthorn, who attempted to attack Earth through his dimension-crossing Crash Tunnels, with his army of Demon Troopers. You will never see story concepts like that elsewhere.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Haha, nice. Don't forget, not only must Brigade battle the adversity of villains but avoid randomly killing each other as well.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crazy Jetty » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:24 pm

beastovjudgement wrote:Characters designed by Rob Liefeld do actually look very heroic. They are all attempting to fight crime, even while suffering from debilitating bodily deformities which would confine most humans to a wheelchair, at best. His female characters, especially, all have horrible spinal conditions, and yet still they persevere in their missions. And, look at all the brave men and women who go forth every day with either no feet at all, or very tiny feet which they self-consciously keep shrouded in ground-level mist, or hidden behind small rocks. How can anyone call that unheroic? Brigade, especially, deserve mention for the way they defeated the evil overlord Darkthorn, who attempted to attack Earth through his dimension-crossing Crash Tunnels, with his army of Demon Troopers. You will never see story concepts like that elsewhere.

:lol: :smlol: :batlol: :wwlol: :hhlol: :galol: :joklol: :adamlol:
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Marvel Media