Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Marvel Select X-Men Wishlist

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Re: Marvel Select X-Men Wishlist

Postby Caleb » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 am

There's actually a name for that. It's called Daryl Dixon Syndrome. No, not really. Okay, kind of.

I completely agree. I don't hate Gambit by any means, but the 90's Rogue / Gambit stuff was pretty much The Adventures of Sug and Che'r. For god's sake, Jean and Scott were longer term and Jean was still a tough cookie (Scott's another story) whose entire existence didn't hinge on her mayun. I blame the 90's, when it was hard bein' a lady in the funny books. And, yeah, Gambit hurt Rogue a lot more than he helped her. Now, she's pretty much "Gambit's girlfriend" to Joe Comic Book Fan, and that sucks...because in Rogue's early appearances, she was legitimately awesome. She's still cool, but it sucks that her existence always seems to depend on what s**t Sug's gotten himself into.

Although, to be fair, it was pretty hilarious in the 90's X-Toon when Gambit would make blatant sexual innuendos at Rogue on a near-constant basis.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby beastovjudgement » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 am

I genuinely do hate Gambit. The use of his character to ruin Rogue's is just another thing to add to his list of offenses. Along with being created entirely for the purpose of being "mysterious", even down to the pointless name ("Gambit" because why? He plays cards? Stupid.), and to be "cool" with the stubble and trench coat. How is it a look that would scream "sex offender" in real life translates to "brooding tough guy" in comics? I didn't buy Avengers Versus X-Men, because it frankly sucked. There was one great part in the series, though; Captain America beat the crap out of Gambit, while talking on the phone with Iron Man for the entire fight. Rogue used to be a pretty good character, back in the 1980's. The stories where she first started to reform and join the X-Men, and where Carol Danvers nearly murdered her, were very well done. That is the look with which I am most familiar, and the one I would prefer for a figure. No question, though; it will not happen. Any Rogue figures will be either 1990's or current versions.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Havok1891 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 am

Nice Beast, I had forgotten about the Carol Danvers stuff (somehow). That also helped kill her character, when they took that out of her. I still can't believe they did that and stayed away from having a relapse of some sort. I suspect Claremont felt like cutting her a break before he left.

It def. gave her some flavor. Ha, I still remember starting into X-Men around 1990 and trying to figure out who Carol Danvers was exactly. There was the woman merged with Rogue's mind that presumably died. There was the black suited Avenger that was her before she "died" and then there was this living red & white alien looking Caron Danvers named Binary with the Starjammers. I am still not very clear on what happened with all that.

80s Rogue was fun, she was tough, could do a lot of damage (I remember when very briefly she was the possible hope against Sabretooth in the Mutant Massacre). She couldn't touch people or have relationships like that, and just for added fun she was fighting for control over her own body with a tough (but not evil) chick that had a good argument for control.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Avalon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 pm

When I was kind of getting into X-Men, I saw Carol Danvers on the FOX X-Men cartoon, I didn't know who she was but it sure made me want to find out. :batwink:
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Previous

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion