Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My Dinosaur figure collection: Dino Horizons Part 2!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: Dino Crayon Case + Dino-R

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 pm

Actually I had only seen them very, very briefly when i was a kid when it was originally on TV and I never really thought about watching them in the future for whatever reason.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Thu May 06, 2021 5:00 pm

It did not last but it was pretty good all the same.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 am

OneNineSix wrote:It did not last but it was pretty good all the same.

:D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: Battat 10 Dinosaur Set!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 am

It was back in the later 2000s, oh I say around 2008 or so, I was looking for stuff on eBay, action figures and such and especially anything rare or really obscure that I could get via a cheap BIN or an auction with the possibility of no bids that was either new or in decent "used shape, to My liking. I came across these special Dinosaurs in a nice set that I was completely unaware of. It was new in the box and it was only $19.99 BUY IT NOW so I was like, gosh I gotta get it, I would be a dumb fool if I didn't so I hurried up and snagged it up before anybody else did and lo & behold it was Mine! During the time of when I was expecting it to arrive to Me, I was looking and studying it further and I was like gosh, could it be? When I got it a few days later I was kinda astounded about how cool yet inaccurate it was and so here is the info about it.

First off, it is made by Battat, a toy company for children that is well over a century old! They are regarded as some of best dinosaur figure makers ever. During this time I was collecting figure companies and comparing how they were to each other like Schleich and Safari among others so this was the time to try out and see how Battat is as I had seen figures of their's prior to this! This set came out in 1993 so yes it is vintage! The box has a nice visual to it and a cool window to see all of the dinosaurs inside of it. There are five different types of dinos here plus 5 babies still hatching within their eggs which is really cute and quite different to be honest.

Now the back of the box is the telling point to a collector who knows the species of these ancient animals. Clearly these are typos? Right? Nope, they aren't because the names are actually sculpted on the bellies of the figures themselves. This here is really odd and keep in mind that this is still 1993, not 1933!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 5:53 am

The Brachiosaurus and its baby: This figure is listed as Apatosaurus AKA the Brontosaurus! I think even the most novice of people that don't know dinosaurs much at all would know the difference. With that being said, it is a greatly sculpted piece and I love the color. The young-ling is really cute in its shell. The names are sculpted on the bottoms of the figures.

The Triceratops parent and baby has the right names and is sculpted and painted really nice with accuracy for the time with the names on the bottoms.

The Stegosaurus parent and baby has the right names and is sculpted and painted really nice with accuracy for the time with the names on the bottoms.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 am

Now, the Tyrannosaurus Rex and its extremely cute offspring is also labeled wrong as an Allosaurus! This is the complete opposite as to what was seen back in the classical days of when T-rex was depicted with three fingers (for example like in the original King Kong film) when it was actually an Allosaurus. This has two fingers on each hand and clearly the the whole design of the creature is of the Dinosaur King! These figures are sculpted extraordinary and is one of the best ones I have even seen. It is still in the classical stature but it is still a very worthy figure to have. They have their named sculpted on their bellies.

Oh boy, this is the one that is arguably the entry that is most inaccurate provided My theory is correct. This creature (which if it is correct isn't a dinosaur but rather a prehistoric reptile from the Permian period) is billed as Dimetridon which is usually featured a lot in dinosaur collections, art and among other media over the decades. I believe this is supposed to be an old school and classic look of the Spinosaurus. After the original Spinosaurus skeleton was destroyed after a bombing in its museum home during WWII, the actual body structure's known form was completely gone and forgotten till the late 90s when specimens were rediscovered. During those decades in the sate of oblivion, artists would depict the species a smaller, sometime quadrupedal animal that in some ways looked similar like Dimetredon (this would change with the discovery of Baryonx in the middle 80s as it would be the precursor of the emergence of the Spinosaurids of the future!). So, with all of that being said, this figure is greatly sculpted and actually looks very calm & docile and downright friendly. The paint is great, I think its a great color scheme. The sculpting is just tremendous. The baby version is also really good as well. Both also have the names sculpted underneath.

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu May 20, 2021 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 5:55 am

Here is a nice group shot of the whole set!

Now here is a comparison between the previously seen Larami and the Battat dinosaurs to see the similarities and size differences.  

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 5:55 am

Well that is all, I hope you have enjoyed this showcase of My special Battat set. Next up will be favorite Dinosaurs series of all-time, My huge Dino Horizons by COG/Ted Co collection!

Until then, I'll see you next time :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 pm

Thanks for sharing, Brandon! You've got one of the best dinosaur figure collections I've ever seen!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 20, 2021 10:51 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Thanks for sharing, Brandon! You've got one of the best dinosaur figure collections I've ever seen!

Thanks a alot dude :D Oh but My Dino Horizons is coming soon so you haven't seen nothin' yet :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions