Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

AcidDragon's Custom Figures Thread

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

AcidDragon's Custom Figures Thread

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:02 am

Okay, I've finally started a customs thread for myself. :batrasp:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

AcidDragon's Ra's al Ghul Custom... Demon's Head!!!

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:02 am

Hi guys, so I finally decided to post a custom literally for the first time, ever. Who better to do than one of my favourite mainstream Batman villains, Ra's al Ghul? I just got him from the post office today and I have another one on the way just so I could have one that was still "as the manufacturer intended" and one that I customized.

First I sanded the heck out of him and shaved off his eyebrows. Man, he looks rough here.
Then I did some sculpting. I gave him extra hair to reduce his widow's peak hairline because it didn't quite look right to me. I also added some longer sideburn but I didn't want to go full mutton chop since I was going for more of a cross between Neal Adams and Batman TAS. I also ended up cutting off even more of his "mustache" and resculpted his Fu Manchu facial hair to more closely resemble the comics. I also added those two circular button thingies that he's got on the rope that holds his cape.
I carved out a bit of his jacket so that he could have exposed cuffs and I carefully applied paint to his cuffs. Then I painted the button things gold, his facial hair black, I added some grey to his wing tips and repainted his entire face a flesh tone. Finally, I painstakingly painted the black mascara looking stuff around his eyes which was insanely nerve wracking for me to do since if I made one bad move, I could paint the whites of his eyes and be screwed.

I tried to paint them as cleanly as possible. Finally, I was done. I'm fairly happy with how this one turned out although there were a few things I wish I did better and I'll probably go back and tweak them later but overall, I like it a lot better than when I first took him out of the box and I'll happily put him on my shelf which isn't something I normally do because I usually like to have retail stuff on my shelf only and customs go into a tub never to be seen again unless they're of somebody that hasn't been made yet. :batlol: I also didn't really add any washes except for the blue in the hair because I like my customs to look as close to retail as I can make them and their paint apps are usually pretty flat colours.
Here's a front shot of Ra's.
Here's a front/top shot of Ra's. I think it looks pretty cool from this angle.
Here's a closer up shot of Ra's who looks oddly like Willem Dafoe in this shot.
Here's a bonus picture with Ra's taking on Bats.

And there you have it, my first ever custom I've ever posted online. Hope you guys like it!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AcidDragon's Custom Figures Thread

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 am

Nicely done. Doesn't look like Edward G. Robinson as much anymore...m'yeah, m'yeah, see? My have to do those eyes myself.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby S. Griffin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:40 am

Subtle changes but a big improvement overall. Thumbs up, Dude.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:35 am

Excellent work my friend that is the Ra that we should have gotten! He is vastly improved by removing those woolly worms they called eye brows, and great work on the sculpting work as well.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby wally2974 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Awesome Ra's there, Dragon!! It's the subtle, minor improvements that make the difference. At first, I was like "Ok, what did he do to customize the figure?", since it's so neatly and cleanly done. After seeing the work in progress, it is a vast improvement over what we got from Mattel. Keep up the great work!
P.S.-any progress on my custom?
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey thanks a lot, guys! I appreciate all the comments! :batgrin: I sent you a PM regarding your little project, Wally. :smgrin:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Avalon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Buddy, you turned one of the worst looking Ra’s headsculpts I’ve ever seen into the best Ra’s headsculpt I’ve ever seen on any toy. It’s super accurate. I love that you can barely tell what you did to it but side by side, it’s like night and day. Well done! The overhead shot is especially awesome.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Tango X » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:59 pm

I like the in-progress pics you posted. It shows what went into making it. Now you just need to start posting more. :batwink:
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby tonyrome » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

I really like the way you fixed Ras up, it really works for him. Im definately going to do this to mine.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Action Figure Customs