Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Dioramas

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Dioramas

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Star Wars: Tantive IV Blockade Runner Playset by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I used a bright red backgound for a few of the photos in this set to simulate the box art from actual Vintage Star Wars Vehicles and Playsets. I imagine this is what it might have looked like if Kenner ever made a Blockade Runner Playset Back in the day.

Star Wars: Tantive IV Under Attack! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Walls, Floor and the "L" shaped protrusions sticking out of the walls were all made of inexpensive insulation styrofoam that I picked up at Home Depot. I covered the styrofoam with sticky-back foam sheets so that it would look like smooth panels.

Star Wars: Blockade Runner Shootout by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The computer terminals on the back wall are small tiles of foamcore board. I used masking tape to cover the edges and sticky-back foam to cover them and add detail. There are also little bits of plastic and model tank parts glued on to these computer terminals to add extra details. They were painted with acrylic paints and carefully glued on to the back wall.

Star Wars: On Board the Tantive IV by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

One of the last steps to building this playset was actually putting the wall sections together with the Floor. After I got the wall parts together, I gave them a few generous coats with white Krylon spray paint. When all the computer terminals and painted details were finished, I sprayed the walls with Testors Dullcoat. The floor is insulation styrofoam covered with sheets of sticky-back foam. I spraypainted the floor black and gave it a bunch of coats of Testors Glosscoat. I put the different parts together when the Wall and Floor sections dried.

Prisoners of the Empire by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

" You are Part of the Rebel Alliance and a Traitor! Take Her Away!" by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Diora

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Pretty neat
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Greetings, Exhaulted One by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I don't actually own the 3 3/4 inch Hologram Luke figure, so instead I used a smaller Hologram Luke that came as a pack-in with some old Saga Collection figures. I had to hold him up closer to the camera with one hand while I took the picture. This mini figure is sculpted with a lightsaber, so I had to crop that out of the photo. I used some tools in Windows photo gallery to get the dim, blue lighting effect.

Star Wars: Oola's Escape Attempt by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Jabba's Throne is just a peice of styrofoam packing material that I cut to fit into the space. I used a fat, black magic marker to draw on where I wanted to put the grooves between the stones and the ink from the marker actually melted the styrofoam, so it was a happy accident. The reddish brown rug is a thin scrap of cloth that I cut out, painted with acrylic paints and glued down to the throne. The Gargoyle heads were made out of sculpty and the rings in their mouths are twisty-ties that I shaped around a pen. I dry brushed the whole thing with different colored acrylics to bring out the details and then I glued the rug on top.

Star Wars: Rancor's Lair by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This mini diorama was made from styrofoam, masking tape, paper clay, sticky-back foam sheets, craft sand, elmer's glue and acrylic paints.

"Because He's Holding a Thremal Detonator!" by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Slave Leia by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The archway behind Jabba was made out of another slab of styrofoam with a sheet of foamcore taped to the back. the carvings around the arch are cut out peices of sticky-back foam sheets. The red circles were made out of paperclay and painted with acrylic paints. For the highlighted lines on the back wall, I cut out a stencil from a peice of cardstock and drybrushed them on with acrylic paints.

"There will be No Bargain, Young Jedi." by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Jawa figure in back is from the Clone Wars figure line. I drybrushed him with different shades of brown and black acrylic paints. The fan he's holding is custom. I cut the leaf from the same cloth I used for Jabba's rug and painted it with acrylic paints. I globbed on lots of thick green paint and used a fine paintbrush to make striated lines on top. I glued on a thin peice of plastic from a model set for the stalk and gave the whole thing a light brown paintwash. I also gave Salacious Crumb a dark brown paintwash and when that dried I repainted his beak and his eyes.

The base of this dio is a slab of insulation styrofoam with a sheet of foamcore board on top. I cut out the trapdoor and used masking tape around the inside edges. The trapdoor opening actually has a floor too. I painted a peice of heavy cardstock black on one side and glued it underneath the base. I think it gives the illusion that the character is falling though when they're actually just standing in a falling pose.

I made a few extra pillows because most of the ones that came with my other Jabba were really drab looking. I sculpted mine out of paperclay and used a toothpick to make all the folds and wrinkles. When they were dry I painted them with acrylics and gave them all paintwashes to bring out more of their details. I think all the added colors make the whole throne look a little more lavish.

"They will all Suffer for this Outrage!" by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I made stairs on each side of the throne so I could stagger the figures and made the base of the diorama in this "T" shape so I could pose other figures around the base with out blocking the view of figures towards the back. Also, I can add new figures around the base as they are released instead of having to build a new, bigger diorama to accomodate them in the future. The individual figure stands are made out of paperclay with a hole drilled out to fit one of these foot pegs http://www.flickr.com/photos/ogtrilogy/ ... hotostream They have been painted to match the diorama with acrylic paints.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:25 pm

WOW! These are amazing dios, man! Do you have them all permanently set up this way in a display room? :batshock:

P.S. I shadow linked this because I think it should be in Customs AND Star Wars so Star Wars fans can see these amazing displays. :batgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:26 pm

AcidDragon wrote:WOW! These are amazing dios, man! Do you have them all permanently set up this way in a display room? :batshock:

P.S. I shadow linked this because I think it should be in Customs AND Star Wars so Star Wars fans can see these amazing displays. :batgrin:

Cool, thanks! I do have some of them on display in my house.

O.G. Trilogy's Star Wars Collection by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This is just a fraction of the stuff that I have, but it's all I have out on display in the house. I have been looking at lots of furniture and office supply stores trying to find just the right cabinet to display my SW stuff in and finally bought this one online a few months ago. The brand name for this cabinet is Tennesco and it is sold on many different office supply websites www.filingsupplies.com/TNN352GLBK-Tenns ... ve-Metal... It's 52 inches tall, 36 inches wide and 15 inches deep.

Eventually, I'd like to have a few cabinets like this and put all my SW displays and dioramas in chronological order. Right now I just have my favorite dioramas on display. It feels really great to have this stuff out on display without worrying about dust all the time and it's funny to see everyone's reaction when I have people over.

I'm very happy with this cabinet, but it was pretty expensive and the shipping was a real bite in the ass. I was looking for something that was black with adjustable shelves that wasn't mirror backed and had glass doors without frames. If you see any Stereo Cabinet or bookshelves that are similar to this, Please post a link and I would be eternally grateful! Thanks for looking!

Here is the cabinet all lit up with LED lights. I wasn't really planning on getting a metal cabinet, but this met all my specifications. I was casually looking for just the right way to light my displays when I found these magnetic, remote control LED pool lights at my local WalMart. They have two settings for dimmer or brighter light and the strong magnets work really great for this cabinet. I'm pretty happy because I don't have to fuss with any cords and I don't even have to open the cabinet to turn them on.

Star Wars Action Figure Display Diorama by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I received this as a Christmas gift a few years ago and recently got a proper place to display it. The Star Wars Action Figure Display Diorama was made by a company called Pride Displays. It comes with this sweet sculpted diorama base that looks like it was made in the 70's. It has a double-sided cardstock backdrop so you can either display it with a space scene or a Tatooine/Sandcrawler scene in back. It also comes with 50 clear plastic figure stands with pegs for vintage and modern Star Wars figures. This set comes in a neat box that's also designed to look like it was from the original Kenner Star Wars line. I've read that Pride Displays was planning on doing more sets like this at one point, but unfortunately the company is no longer in business. This set was originally sold for around $70, but if you can get a hold of one of these without spending an arm and a leg I would recommend it.

The Han, Chewie and Farmboy Luke figures are customs that I did a long time ago. The rest of the figures are just some of my personal favorite versions of each character.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Star Wars: The Jundland Wastes by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This diorama was fairly simple to build. It was made almost completely out of insulation styrofoam boards. I cut out the shapes for the cave, steps and the rocky formations in back and glued them to the base with school glue. I used paper clay to help blend the different parts together and used the handle of a paintbrush to make small grooves in the clay, like under the ledge of the cave. Then I brushed on a thick layer of school glue, craft sand and acrylic paint to add texture and help disguise the styrofoam. When the Styrofaom was completely covered, I gave the whole thing a base coat of light brown spray paint. Spray paint will melt styrofoam, so you need to have several layers of paint or glue to seal up the styrofaom before you spray it. After that I dry brushed on a few different shades of brown & yellow acrylics, gave it a darker brown paint wash and finally dry brushed on a thin layer of tan colored acrylic to highlight some of the details.

Star Wars: Sandpeople Attack by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: The Sandpeople Frighten Easily... by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

R2-D2 POV by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

You've had a busy day by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The small flat stones in the corner and the two large boulders Luke & Ben are sitting on were made of that soft green floral styrofoam. It's really easy to cut and shape the way you want. I carved out these rock shapes and coated them with many layers of school glue and acrylic paints.

Star Wars: The Jundland Wastes Playset by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

"The Jundland Wastes are not to be travelled lightly."
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 pm

I Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing. by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

On the far left is a repaint of Janek Sunber from a Legacy Collection Comic Pack. www.rebelscum.com/TLCcomicpacksWM092.asp He originally had a light green uniform and a huge removable cap, so I lost the hat and repainted him using acrylic paints so he'd match my other Imperials more closely.

2nd from the left is a Legacy Collection Captain Needa body with Vintage Collection Rebel Fleet Trooper head. I was going to repaint Needa & Sunber's gloves flesh tone at first, but they have folds and wrinkes sculpted in their hands and I thought that would look weird so I just left them black.

On the far right is another custom repainted figure. This character's name is Rom Mohc and he originally came in a comic pack that I bought on clearance. www.rebelscum.com/TLCcomicpacksWM101.asp His uniform was similar to Sunber's, so I just painted him grey to match the others.

Vader, Release Him! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This was a really simple custom. The Base for this diorama is a heavy plastic serving tray turned upside down and spraypainted black. I drilled holes into the base with a dremel tool for extra footpegs from my Ultarama Displays. www.rebelscum.com/ultarama.asp I hot glued small tiles of balsa wood to the inside of the tray to keep the footpegs from falling through the holes I drilled.

The table is just a oval shaped card board container that can be found at most crafts stores. I trimmed it down shorter to make it about waist level and gave it a couple of thick coats of black acrylic mixed with school glue. The Centerpeice on the table came from some Lego set I think. I got it in a box of junk at a yard sale. I painted it with black and silver acrylics.

Even if I had the Hasbro DS Briefing set, those figures still don't have joints in the knees www.rebelscum.com/TSCdeathstarbriefing.asp so I completely omited the chairs. I've seen lots of customizers online who've come up with some really creative solutions for this problem, but I guess you could call me lazy. ;D
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby HectorHall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Scenes straight outta the movies...simply great
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:46 pm

I know right? These dios are off the chain...!! :batshock:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks guys! I really appreciated the compliments! :smgrin:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Action Figure Collections