Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Marvel Select

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Marvel Select

Postby beastovjudgement » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 pm

select_logo.png

I don't buy complete into this line by any means, but they have some great stuff. The MS Thanos is the best toy representation to date of my favorite comics character. I also really like that they actually made Mephisto, and that he came out so great. On the MA figures I own and have seen, the scale looks to be very consistent as well. Scale is a major problem with most superhero lines. Marvel Legends and Universe are all over the place. DC Direct/Collectibles are consistent within their sub-lines, but vary greatly between them. And DCUC figures, while praised for their uniformity, can look stupid when Superman and Killer Moth have the exact same physique. My favorites in the Marvel Select line, in addition to those mentioned above, are Abomination, Lizard (comics version), Rhino, Dr. Doom, Ultron (finally an accurate Perez version), Magneto, Daredevil, and Thing. They take up too much space for me to consider buying the whole series, but they are some very nice figures.
Last edited by AcidDragon on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a logo. In case people haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of logos. LOL. :D
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Marvel Select

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I love me some Marvel Select! I got into collecting 6 and 7 inch Superhero figures a few years ago and have picked up lots of MS figures to fill gaps in my collection because the Marvel Legends versions are too hard to find and so expensive on the secondary market.

Some are better than others, but MS is doing great sculpting and increasing the amount of articulation in their newer figures. Some of my favorites Venom, Coloussus, Black Cat, Rhino, Gambit and Sabertooth. The new Movie Wolverine is freakin' awesome too! They seem like they have as good or better paint as Marvel Legends and usually come with lots of accessories, bases and/or diorama pieces. They feel like a pretty good value for the money.

If Matty made a figure the size of the Marvel Select Thanos, they'd expect us to pay $40 or $50 for it.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:15 pm

I haven't bought any in a mng time but my Thanos, Mephisto, and Uatu all look great with MLs. Even Cloak and Dagger stent too far off but I figured ML would never make Cloak. Those are the only ones I ever purchased. I still have no idea how we never got an ML Thanos, but the MS one works fine anyway.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Caleb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Marvel Select is pretty awesome. They take up far too much space on a shelf, but they really are some great lookin' figures. If I was more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy, this line would definitely be my go-to for those characters. I didn't start buying them until MU convinced me that it was okay to purchase Marvel toys, so I missed out on a few cool ones. Still, I've been able to backtrack through the characters on Ebay pretty easily, and it's nice being able to snag the new ones - albeit a little marked-up - at the Disney Store. And the fact that they actually made Mephisto, who appears to be retail poison in The 'Bro's book, is pretty awesome.

My personal favorite, thus far, is definitely Ultron. Especially looking at that awful Bunny Ultron Toy-Biz coughed up. I'd say Gambit's a close second, followed by Thanos, Emma Frost, Phoenix, Uatu, Colossus, Blonde Widow, and Thing. I haven't picked up the new movie Wolverine yet, but he does look pretty cool.

Honestly, if they get to Miss Marvel at some point in time, I'll freak.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm not a 6" Scale Marvel collector but I've always wondered, is this like the Marvel equivalent to DC Direct/DC Collectibles? The thing is that I see Marvel Select in regular department stores where as I've never seen DC Direct anywhere except at LCSes.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:08 pm

A lot of MS stuff you can still get pretty reasonably on Walmart.com, like $20-$25. Last time I looked at least.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby beastovjudgement » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:25 am

Most of the MS figures can be found for reasonable prices. They are reissued relatively frequently, too - apart from Mephisto, it seems. I would actually buy a second of that one, just because he's Mephisto. As another poster mentioned, it's very unlikely Hasbro will ever do a Satanic character like Mephisto, despite producing figures of no less than three different Nazi-themed Marvel villains. Another really cool Marvel Select I had forgotten is the Captain Marvel Kree uniform variant. Ghost Rider is odd without his bike, but also came out well. The upcoming Silver Surfer looks to be excellent as well.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Freddie: » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I bought a loose Mephisto just for his throne. I use the throne for my C&C Trigon and was able to sell just the Mephisto for the price I paid for him WITH the throne. I love the Danger Room diorama pieces they made for some of the X-men, it works well with Minimates, Marvel Universe and the 5 inch Toy Biz figures perfectly. Kinda sucks that they only do 9 releases a year and a few slots get gobbled up by movie tie in figures.
Freddie:
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Havok1891 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:31 am

So I am new to the Marvel Select game. I bought my first two figures last week and got them in the mail a couple days ago. I've got Colossus & Magneto. Both are sweet. I noticed that the older figures don't seem to have great torso articulation, but it looks like that's been changing. Any hope that they revisit figures like Cyclops?

Anyone know what the next X-Men figure will be? I am really hoping for an 80s Shadowcat to go with the brown Wolverine, or a Rogue that isn't 90s.
Havok1891
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am

The only one that I know of that is coming out later this year is a Silver Surfer figure. I don't think he has any articulation in the torso, but he comes with a base you can attach the board to so you can make it look like he's flying. There's also a Movie Style Thor on the horizon, but I don't know if it will be out when the movie hits theaters or not.

You can probably bet on MS doing at least handful of movie figures next year. I hope they continue to put out some Classic X-Men and Spidey Villains too though.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Next

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion