Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Comics Action Figures and Accessories

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Comics Action Figures and Accessor

Postby 1987olds442 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:07 pm

O.G.Trilogy wrote:Thanks! I used a wire clothes hanger and made a loop on one end to serve as a base. I dipped the other end in Plasti-Dip so that the rough edge of the wire wouldn't scratch up my figures. When that was dry I taped down the loop end to a piece of scrap foam-core board. The I just cut some scraps of styrofoam into small blocks and started glueing them on the base to cover the loop of the wire hanger. I brushed on a few thick layers of black paint mixed with elmers school glue and when that was dry, I dry brushed it with grey and white acrylic paint.

Very cool the Styrofoam and Elmers glue part was exactly what I was needing to know. It turns out I'm part of the way there I also use wire hangers for flight stands :smgrin:
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Also, if you want them to be full sized, use the Img button and put the path to the image in there. Like so:

Code: Select all
[img]http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/gallery/image.php?album_id=30&image_id=384[/img]

I took the liberty of fixing the images for you on this one. :e2robgrin:

Thank you so much! now I nobody has to squint to see them!

:ckrobgrin: P.S. Best Robin Ever!
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 pm

1987olds442 wrote:
O.G.Trilogy wrote:Thanks! I used a wire clothes hanger and made a loop on one end to serve as a base. I dipped the other end in Plasti-Dip so that the rough edge of the wire wouldn't scratch up my figures. When that was dry I taped down the loop end to a piece of scrap foam-core board. The I just cut some scraps of styrofoam into small blocks and started glueing them on the base to cover the loop of the wire hanger. I brushed on a few thick layers of black paint mixed with elmers school glue and when that was dry, I dry brushed it with grey and white acrylic paint.

Very cool the Styrofoam and Elmers glue part was exactly what I was needing to know. It turns out I'm part of the way there I also use wire hangers for flight stands :smgrin:

I haven't done any for figures without capes yet and I like little hooks you do to go under their arms. I highly suggest trying out that Plasti-Dip if you haven't already. I think most hardware stores carry it. It comes in a can and you can use it to recoat the handles on tools if the rubber grips have cracked or torn. You can use it for a million different things, but I used it on the flightstand so the rough, cut end of the wire hanger wouldn't scratch my figures.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 pm

That's cool. I made some flight stands using hangers to, but the pronged idea is something I need to do. The biggest problem is still finding wire hangers in stores. Think I raided all the few I found at relatives and such, lol.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Maybe you could try those little lawn flags instead? You know the ones that you'd use to keep lawnmowers from running over sod?
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby Green-eyeglow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

O.G.Trilogy wrote:Image
Custom Comic Style Bat-Signal w/ Light-Up Feature! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Last summer Mattel produced a line of Dark Knight Rises figures that each came with a part to build a working Bat-Signal. I have mixed feelings about TDKR and I definately didn't want to buy a $20 figure of the dumb kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun. Besides, I would have rather had a Universal, Comic-Book Style Bat-Signal.

One of the movie figures that I did like enough to buy was the Anne Hathaway Catwoman and she came with the Bat-Signal Base and Control Box. It originally came with a recessed area in the middle to plug the Signal into, so I cut out a piece of cardstock to make the floor even and consistant.

Custom Comic Style Bat-Signal w/ Light-Up Feature! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Spotlight part came as an accessory to a Wrestler figure that I found at Big Lots. It was originally white and red with a removable lens. I took out the lens, painted the spotlight black and gave it a few good drybrushed coats of Grey and Silver Acrylics.

The new lens is a piece of thin plexiglass from a cheapie poster frame and the Bat-shaped cut out is heavy cardstock that I painted with Acrylic Paints. The rim around the front edge of the signal is a plastic lid from a 22 oz cup that I carefully cut out and painted to match the rest of the signal.

I bought a really inexpensive LED Lantern at Big Lots also and took it apart just to use the light and switch from it. I drilled holes into the back of the Signal and down through the base with a dremel tool and made a small battery compartment underneath the base. I drilled a large hole on one side of the base for the on/off button so you don't have to lift it up or turn it around to use the light-up feature.

I think that a Comic-Style Bat-Signal packaged with a New Batman figure would have been a great seller at retail. It would have been easier and less expensive for collector types and parents to get thier kids a really fun toy.

"I'll look into it." Batman Rooftop Diorama by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Finished a rooftop diorama to display my Custom Batsignal on a while back. I made it using scrap styrofaom, sticky-back foam sheets and acrylic paints. I plan on doing a few more of these to display all my other Batman figures eventually.

Amazing work!
Green-eyeglow
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Truwe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:50 am

I am super late to the party here, but all your work is absolutely amazing! Love your Batman accessories and hands down the best Lois Lane I have ever seen. Can't wait to see more!
Truwe
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Muthasucka » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:11 pm

This stuff is GD amazing!! I may have to rip off that Lois idea. I got a Super Lois from the All-Star line, and I want to make her a civilian body for a headswap.

Excellent work, man!
Muthasucka
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby OneNineSix » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 pm

O.G., not only are your customs great but your photos are top notch!
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:47 am

All of this is superb!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs