Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Alien, Predator & Terminator Movie Talk!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: The Alien & Predator Movie Fanchises

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

So there you have it, I hope you guys talk about what I have posted here and enjoy what I have done :) Talk about your memories, your opinions of the movies, what you think of the creatures and so on!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Caleb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm

I think Alien 3 is criminally underrated, especially considering the Uncut version. It's not a great movie by any means, but it's WAY better than Resurrection and either of the AVP films. Charles S. Dutton is legitimately excellent in that movie, it's VERY well shot, and the production design is almost on par with the first film. Seriously, there were a lot of fingers to point in that cutting room, but I'd say Fox killed Alien 3. I don't hate the regular version, but all the stuff the studio added in - action scenes, the Alien jumping out of Ripley at the end, the romantic subplot and Golic's part being cut way down - really does damage the final product. I can see why Fincher refuses to talk about it in interviews. But it's a far, far better movie than fanboys often give it credit for. There needs to be a concentrated effort to destroy all copies of the rotten theatrical version in existence.

Resurrection sucks. Even the writer, Joss Whedon, thinks so. Yeah, it was a good idea, but the execution is terrible. I'd point a lot of that at director Jeunet (Amelie) - pretty much everyone who worked on the production has said he brought in a "European touch", and he's pretty much responsible for the hybrid and the Alien Queen's vagina. It doesn't help that the wheelchair dude sucks. Noni's awesome in it, though.

As for the AVP movies? Eh. They are what they are. The first one is well made but really, really silly. The second one was apparently shot with a shadow filter on the camera (seriously, even the Blu-Ray is dark as hell) and is ridiculously mean-spirited, even for this franchise - seriously, people walked out of my showing when the pregnant women "gave birth". I like the concept, but Requiem looks and feels like the kind of thing Syfy would run at 2 AM (they actually do run Requiem in the wee hours of the morning). To me, anyway.

I'm mixed on Prometheus. I heard an interview with the producers where they talk about some of what got cut to keep the running time down, and I think the missing stuff would've made a better movie. The cast in Prometheus (especially Fassbender) is stellar, and it's a beautiful film. The whole final act is silly and ridiculous, but I think it's undone by being too ambitious - it doesn't want to be JUST an Alien prequel - and that's a good thing, in my book.

If anyone can track down the William Gibson Alien 3 script, it's definitely worth a read. Ditto the David Twohy (Riddick) Alien 3 script, which Twohy actually pilfered from for his Riddick films.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Avalon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 am

This is a great thread, Brandon. I'm a fan of this series, but I learned a lot about this franchise after reading through it. Caleb, I totally agree on A3. Not exactly a stellar film, but it gets crapped on more than it deserves.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks a lot for your reply Caleb!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 am

Wow, thanks so much Avalon, I appreciate that so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Alien, Predator & Terminator Movie Talk!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:30 am

So it's Halloween time, I thought what a better time to attempt to bring this topic I had made long ago a big return (see like I said before, it's not that hard searching and finding things). Only 2 people participated in it which aren't even here anymore. Nobody else chose too which was quite disappointing to Me as people always back out :roll: Even now hardly anybody mentions these here or anywhere on the web for that matter compared to others despite the Prey film just came out a while back. So if you have seen & followed various topics of Mine and really, really followed them you'll know I love Alien, Predator & Terminator and I like them so much, arguably even more than Star Wars, I have ever since I was a little youngster.

So I think I expressed My love & origins enough for Alien & Predator at the start of this topic but I didn't do Terminator yet but in My showcases I have already posted I have :batsmile: So what I'd like is for you to do is click on page 1, see how this topic started and ALL what I said. You talk about your opinions & thoughts of the franchises. Do you like them, dislike them for whatever reasons, your fave or least fave moments or whatever else. Of course the music in all of these is so crucial and some of My fave music ever.

Now here is THE POTENTIAL of the future of this topic. I may post more as I'd like to talk about every film in all three sagas like I have been doing My write ups in the movie trailers topics and so on. PLUS I could put My collections of stuff I have already showcased & posted and have yet to showcased & post within them as well. Unlike some, these franchises I can watch and talk about year round, just not Halloween.

So do like I said above as I want to bring this topic BACK :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:41 am

You know, they're just not franchises I've never been over invested in. I mean, I've seen the first couple films of each series, and some of the newer ones, but just never really followed the stories in-depth enough to talk much about them. Never read any of the old Darkhorse Comics so unfortunately, I don't really have much to say about them.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:24 am

Darn that is really a shame, there's a lot of people like that I'm afraid including all the other members that was once on this board besides them two I said about, they don't know what their missing. I mean its a whole bunch of alien & army guy and cyborg stuff plus so much more! I invested a lot with them all over the decades, many of them are so fun & epic. I'm always excited when there's a new one. Their all great films, even the ones that I place lower/last on My list. I get so POed how Ridley Scott, Fox and now Disney is treating Alien with the HUGE gap between Prometheus, Alien Covenant & Alien. They are handling it so darn poorly :x Their doing OK with Prey as it was a prequel setting up Predator 2. I loved the Dark Horse comics, I have many of them and plan on showcasing them soon. The figures by Kenner, McFarlane, Sideshow, Hot Toys Popsalute, 7-11, & NECA is so fun too and not to mention all of the awesome video games :batsmile: Well, soon I may write up some some stuff and more for this when I have the time & urge. Thanks for the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am

So I thought before I get anything new started I'd quote Myself with some great Alien, Predator & Terminator figures I got a while back that I had previously spotlighted in My Recent Aquirements top seen here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-discussions/recent-acquirements-from-2020-surprises-galore-t1063.html. I am quite grateful that I got all of the awesome vintage stuff when I did :) I may expand upon these quotations later on along with new content :batsmile:

I got these for Christmas in 2020 :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:CHRISTMAS

Arachnid Alien: Got him loose, he is great shape. He was originally in a 2 pack with a repainted Drake that I wasn't interested in and saved Me a lot of dough.

The Panther Alien: One of the very few that I needed to complete My collection. Got him loose as well.

The King Alien: One of the ones that I wanted the most of all. Never could get this great character. I could have got him in a two pack but I didn't want the repainted Hicks, besides I loved the green &amp; black color scheme way more!

The Lava Planet Predator: Another one that I missed getting and wow is he awesome!

The Nightstorm Predator: Yet another one and he too is also really good!

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Holy cow, I just got Hudson vs. the Scorpion Alien from the vintage Kenner Aliens vs. Marines series :o I had enough funds to get them brand new! If you have seen My Christmas & B-Day topic then you already know that I have been after this vintage series for being foolish and not finishing collection when I could have. These guys came out in 1996, I remember seeing them around that time @ K-B Toys. I am almost got all of them now. These are more movie based than comic. Hudson is kinda of a repaint of Apone and has some new gear however. Where as he Scorpion Alien is a repaint of the original version. These guys cost Me a bit but I considered it a Valentines Present by, to and from Myself :)

Image:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:I just got the vintage Kenner Aliens vs Marines series Vasquez vs. The Night Cougar Alien today! I looked out & had enough funds but the availability was extremely limited. I have wanted this 2-pack for about 25 years and now I got em'!

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Holy cow, I just got 2 Kenner Aliens two packs! I got O'Malley vs. The Queen Face Hugger and the Alien vs. Predator. I remember seeing all of these guys at K-B Toys so long ago hoping to get them and now I did :o O'Malley completes My Marines as you just saw recently that I got Hudson & Vasquez...25 years later I finally got them! Yes, the AvP 2-pack! This eluded Me way back in the day in 93 so again, over 25 years later I got them. They were the first ever in a set and years later companies would be inspired to make their own. Well, I had enough funds to get these great figures thank goodness.

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Oh yeah, I just got some great stuff :o Stuff that I have been needing for a a very long time and something that I just found out about not that long ago. I got it all yesterday from on eBay and here they are :shock:

The Neomorph Alien with baby & Berserker Predator: I just found out about these guys not that long ago earlier on in the year about February or March. When I did I wanted them and knew I had to get them. These are part of NECA's awesome Aliens & Predators that are a tribute to Kenner's original awesome line back in the day. As you have seen previously within this topic, I was heavily trying to complete My collection of Kenner's AvP series. So I wanted these two figures by NECA because they were made in that same style and are in scale with them at 5.5" unlike their others at about 7". Look at the artwork and the overall packaging, it's so far-out reminiscent and I love it! I love these figures. As of this moment, they are still wanting to extended the series. I hope they make an Engineer from Prometheus and the Urban City Hunter from Predator 2. Please make them, I need them...bad :!: Been looking on eBay for a great deal for the two together ever since and just found it! Wow I am so glad that I made that transaction :batgrin:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:So, it was early August, I wanted to continue get some figures that I needed for My older collections. Thanks goodness I had some funds. I saw some great deals on Amazon & eBay of stuff that I wanted for a very long time, basically 26 or so years :o Figures that I wasn't able to get when I was much younger. So here is My great goods that I recently got :!:

ALIENS: Action Masters 4 Pack: Yes, as you have seen earlier on in the topic, it was My personal mission to get further completion of Kenner's Aliens, Predators and Marines figures. Now, this Aliens Action Masters four Pack were some figures that completely alluded Me back...way back when. These were available in 1994 and apparently thru 1997. I don't ever recall seeing these figures at a Toys"R"Us, a K-B Toys or any where else for that matter. I believe I discovered these guys in the very late 90s or early 2000s on the web, possibly a Tomart ad or some random action figure review page. I believe these figures weren't that popular back in the day which search Me why if that was indeed the case :?  Anyway, these figures are made by Kenner whom made the standard Aliens, Marines and Predator figures. I had opened these guys up and I absolutely love them. These Action Masters are a mixture of rubber & metal which really remind Me of Tonka's great Willow figures back in 88 that I featured in My great Vintage Action Figure Topic! In fact, I believe like many things and times, Hasbro borrowed if you will this concept from the originator which was Tonka that they bought out along with Kenner :roll: With exceptions these figures could be in scale with them :o All of the Xenomorphs has a point of articulation via their neck. They are all sculpted & painted really well for their small, 2" scale and especially for the era. They also include 4 exclusive trading cards that I just digg. I love the bios on the backs of them. The blister card is rather nice with good art and a cool checklist plus a special offer of the other figures within the series. I wouldn't mind to get all of them one day in the future but right now I'm just hoping to get The Predator and The Terminators. One sweet serendipitous aspect of the whole set is that the Ovomorph is actually in scale with the regular figures so I will be displaying it with them from time to time. These figures all connect to each other via their bases. Look for My entire AvPvM collection plus these great new acquisitions in My great Vintage Action Figure Topic when I get to the 90s to be featured in a major showcase :batshock:

STAR TREK! For a long time I was looking at My Star Trek figures by Playmates and I realized that My collection was good but wasn't as complete as I'd like it to be. I stopped collecting them in 94/95 which was really foolish but I made up for big time. I didn't want any variants, just the characters I needed to make My display and collection for plentiful. I actually was missing some important and key characters. I have always had a soft spot for Playmates and in fact they were arguably My fave company of all next to Kenner, Hasbro and McFarlane. By studying these figures I come to realize how great and realistic these depictions are and in fact I believe they were only beaten when Mcfarlane came around...that's how tremendous I think these figures are. Another cool fact is with exceptions, they are in scale with Kenner's AvP series' which is great but not with Star wars though. One thing is I was very rusty on is the scale, these are 4 55" to 5", you gotta watch out because Playmates made some figures 6" to 7" tall that angered fans and collector's a like so if I wouldn't have done My research I would have been dumbfounded and quite frankly, upset and disgusted because their not in scale therefore would totally mess up that realism of realistic heights that I love! Another thing is these are cheap, much cheaper than I imagined and I'm glad of it. Now get this, I got 2 or 3 of these tremendous vintage figures for the price of the current markets 1 Star Wars Black or AEW or Marvel Legends among others...the price points in this whatever day and age era we're in now is so ridicules...I find these just as good if not better than those offered currently and so much funner too! I mean look at the packaging and overall what you get...need I say anymore? OK, here is whom I picked up so far :!:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Action Masters Predator: Yes, finally I got him! He goes nicely with My previously seen within the topic Action Master Aliens set! This is actually the Urban City hunter despite the cool trading card is of the Jungle Hunter! I got him so cheap, only $9. I men he is metal with great sculpting and with a cool bio card, try getting anything this good &amp; complete for that price in this current day &amp; age's offerings! While only a couple still elude Me, I basically have all of Kenner's classic AvPvM series so I wanted to move on to Star Trek as I did earlier on in the Summer but I do want them other ones I don't have but it's gonna be hard gettin'em. Now them Action Masters especially the Terminators is truly a no brainer and the DC &amp; Star Wars are sweet too, maybe I can get a hold of them in the future, we shall see.

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Well, here we are back to My Recent Acquirements topic. As you just saw I got some really cool vintage stuff for Christmas, well during that time when I ordered and got them, I shopped for My B-Day too before the Black Friday & Cyber Monday madness hit and/ or when the prices changed cause on Amazon the price ALWAYS change, sometimes for the worse and sometimes for the better and sometimes stock depletes when you least expect it. Seemed like the BF & CM wasn't as hard hitting this time around as it was years prior. I know I complain about this day & age's pathetic offerings and insane prices but I will become an outlier if it benefits Me to what I need & want. I thought I'd new what i wanted for My B-Day months ahead of time even during the Summer months but man-o-man I changed My list which i will get to in a little while. I got everything you are about to see at Amazon. So here is what I got for My very special day :)

Now here we go with My most prized figures of My entire B-Day lot! For years I was contemplating on getting them since 2013/2014 but I got them now :!: I had other stuff on My mind but these ultimately won Me over way more :shock: The Alien ReAction Figures! They are made by Super7 & Funko! Some of you may already know but if you don't know the story about their origins here is a briefing about it. Kenner had the licensed to make action figures from the classic 1979 Alien film. They had already made a giant 18" version of Big Chap but it stirred so much controversy from parents thus canceling the whole line. Decades later Super7 got into the vault if you will and found the original sculpts and decided to make it their mission to bring the series back and they did and it became a success! They are so much like the original Kenner SW figures not only in scale but they also have the same peg holes (the POTF 2 stands do not fit them nor these Alien figures sadly but that is even more of the crucial point of their origins). I basically got the whole series without many of the variants cause you know, every series no matter which one it is, is gotta have those must have variants (wow, we have been hearing so much of that word of recent times haven't we???). I got the 3 Nostromo - 3 figure box sets from 2018 of Pack #1: Ripley & her cat Jonesy, Battle-Damaged Ash and Kane in Space Suit with Attached Ovomorph/Facehugger - Pack #2: Parker & Brett and bloody jaws extracted Xenomorph - Pack #3: Dallas & Lambert and Bloody Xenomorph with jaws action feature. Now, the Alien Franchise is one of My most fave and cherished film franchises of all and I will explain that it time at a later date. There is one VERY crucial & imperative aspect of this series is that because these figures are technically made by Kenner and older than I am, they fit WONDERFULLY with the old Kenner Star Wars figures as stated previously and especially fit in greatly with the above seen SW figures and that is one of the BIG reasons why I chose this series is because they are in scale with them...yep, Alien and Star Wars together in the same universe :!: Now their prices were a bit higher than I would've liked but it wasn't too bad but man, the pack with Dallas & Lambert were the highest and hardest ones to obtain however :roll: All figures have 5 POA ecept the Alien with his tail and action features. The all have great sculpting and likenesses, My faves are Brett, Parker and Lambert and one of the selling points of this set was Jonesy, I thought it was really clever to they thought including him, nice touch!

I also got the variant of Kane out of the space suit with a detachable Ovomorph/Facehugger and a regular version of the Alien himself! Like his variants, he has a removable dome revealing his skull as it was meant to be seen as he has a lever to extract/retract his inner jaws! He is really cool! Kane is decent as well and the Facehugger looks pretty authentic for the scale :!:

Again, I thought I was done with My B-Day shopping but I got the Nightfall Alien/Xenomorph from Aliens just in time for My big day. There were 3 variants of this one but My fave the Nightfall version! I also got the Invisible Predator!. Now these are additionally created figures to extend the series thanks to much demand by Collectors & fans alike. I just love the sculpt and beautiful blue paint apps on the Alien and I absolutely adore his blister card, such horrific beauty! Now the Predator is greatly sculpted too with tremendous translucent plastic making him completely see-through. I love his card as well, such creativity!

Now My new ReAction collection wouldn't by fulfilled if I didn't at least 1 Terminator! I got The Terminator and Sarah Connor from T1 and also got the T-1000 from T2! I chose these T1 versions because they were the cheapest plus he was the first type seen and that version of Sarah Connor is such a uncommon version in figure form. Now the T-1000 has been done multiple times in figure form and this was the Entertainment Earth exclusive. These were also extended upon by demand. One special note is when I ordered all of these, the T-1000 was the very first one I got in the mail so he will always be known as My very first Super7-Funko ReAction Figure!

As a whole I have mixed emotions of the ReAction series. Its really the quality more than anything and makes it overall bittersweet. I know they don't move very much and I totally expected that and that isn't a prob for Me whatsoever. My issues is that when you move their arms & legs up and down their sides & crotches wanna crack open and regular Kane's neck is glued tight and one of the bloody Xeno's left arm is glued tight too. Also the T-1000's gun is impossible to put in either of his hands. My prob is it's knowing that they are not working properly. This is one of the reasons why I can't stand today's figures, even if it was from 2014, it's still rather recent and still follows this unneeded and careless trend that these companies shove down our throats not to mention trending off of each other with such high prices. I dealt so much of this even before then with Mattel'sWWE, ToyBiz Marvel Legends, NECA & McFarlane among so many others with articulation problems then and really I don't know how I put up with it all cause I got a ton of figures back in the day. Them vintage SW figures has way better quality than these, in fact seems most of the older stuff is way better the the newer stuff, been thinkin' that for along time now in just about every caetory that on ecan possible come up with in this day and age. So really I'm not sure if I'm gonna collect these ReAction figures any further. There are more characters to get in the Aliens, Predator and Terminator series' plus there is a ton more from many other series's. At least I have 1 representative from Aliens & Predator cause they complement each other so well from the great classic crossover by Dark Horse Comics long ago and at least I got a bit of Terminator as well. You could do it with Kenner's awesome series but they were a bit out of scale with Aliens, Predator, Marines & Terminator and others of the tremendous series back in the 90s but when your a huge AvP fan like Me you want more. then again, since these guys are limited in POA it's no big deal and is really fun to display Alien, Predator and Terminator together with others like Star Wars! So who knows, I might get more later on down the road, we'll see.

SPECIAL BONUS!

Here is My 2 big boxes of all of My Christmas & Birthday goodies that I kept looking at day after day, night after night waiting for the time to open them up. Of all the holiday's I've had, this is the first one I ever did for Myself like this and I'm probably one of the very few people that has ever done it before! Look at it before it was all opened up by Me :!:

By the way, Aliens & T2 and POTF 2 had anniversaries last year and Predator turns 35 this year too :o

Well there you have it, that is what I got by, for and to Me for My Birthday :scbat:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:So here is My latest acquirements that I got, I obtained these a while back, I just hadn't posted them but I thought I better get to doin' it soon. Many of these are ones that I was after for a long, long time that I should have gotten years ago when I could have when I had lots of doe but things are quite different now unfortunately but I am quite grateful that I got these when I did :) I got all of these for dirt cheap prices as believe it or not vintage action figures are still at decent prices and cheaper than today's offerings. Let's say you could make up for the past and get a lot compared to getting 2 AEW or 2 or 3 of other modern figures. If you have been following My topic from the beginning and see My other posts elsewhere on the board then you'll know I've been after some pretty good figures of yesterday that I couldn't get for reasons instead of collecting these modern series' at retail, on the web that cost insane prices especially the crowdfunding ones :roll: The figures are from a nearly forgotten age. Here is My recent figures.

Terminator 2 Action Masters: If you have been following this topic then you'll know that I have been seriously after Kenner's great and such misunderstood Action Masters series. About a year ago I was able to get the awesome Aliens set. For Christmas last year also I got the lone Urban Predator. Just a few short months ago I just obtained the Terminator 2 editions :!: Within a year I was able to get all of the ones that I truly needed & wanted which are AVP & Terminator :o If you go back you'll see how much I wanted them. Thank goodness the seller had both of'em together as a set :) If you saw in the toy commercial topic I expressed My love for these there as well. I have explained their history within this topic when I first got My Aliens set. These are metal just like their counterparts in the line, look great, are made extremely well and are very fun to display. They come with very cool trading bio cards like the others and like the others these are like the most complete that you could ever want and see if there is anything this groovy at today's market !

NOTE: It's such a great feeling that I have all of the AvPvT Action Masters that are in small scale to go with the regular scale Kenner AvPvT figures, I'm so grateful for it :)

Now as usual I take pics of everything all important. As I have said the blister cards are cool but their not as detailed as others but the said trading cards make up for that. Here is the back of the card telling what other series' to collect. They had made DC Batman & Superman plus Star Wars with a special offer for a Gold C-3PO. Now keep in mind this brilliant exciting series came out in 1994, that offer didn't end until 1997. When I first saw this I was astounded at how long it was for :shock: The thing is like I had said when I got My Aliens set, I really didn't know about the series till the early days or so of the web and all of My local stores never had them. I was so foolish not to get these sooner on the net :roll: If things change and I'm able to do it, I would love to get them Star Wars figures and cross them over with these AvPvT and the DC figures would also be quite ideal but I am very glad that I got these great figures now after all of this time!

It was amazing that when I got the Super7 Aliens Xenomorph, that movie had it's 35th Anniversary in 1986, Terminator 2 had its 30th Anniversary of 1991 last year and Predator is having it's 35th Anniversary from 1987 this year :o More great AVPVT stuff later :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Previous

Return to General Discussions