Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Recent Acquirements: My B-Day!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Recent Acquirements: My B-Day!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:13 am

It was and yes that is so true, thanks PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:08 am

So two days ago was My Birthday already, My 43rd one :o It was a pretty good day. I'm going to post a lot here so bear with Me as progress thru My special night :) First I saw I got an e-mail from Nintendo with offers & discounts and stuff. It was cool that they still have Me in their list because I haven't bought a game from them in ages since they had to dump the Wii U for the Switch (it still irks Me in the back of My head because the Wii U was like one of the greatest consoles ever made!) and then they closed the Nintendo E-Shop without any chance of getting other titles for the system :roll: My name is Hydester on this nice Wallpaper because that's the nick-name that My Grandpa PoPo gave Me when I was a youngster and he called Me that till his last days...if you recall I began My Star Wars Topic as My own creation for Halloween 2011 as Darth Hyde...such a shame he never knew I did that :( So this picture that Nintendo gave Me has an all-star cast in it and looks quite neat :)

Oh and I got this cool Nintendo Happy New Year Wallpaper as well :)

So every year My cousin Karen sends Me one little picture/gif from Facebook saying she hopes that I have a great one. One time she sent Me a gif of Dean Ambrose because she knows I like wrestling but really it's a wonder because I haven't talked to her in about 30 years or so. I know that sounds ridicules but after My Grandpa got sick it seemed like We weren't good enough for the rest of the family anymore...I already told how despicable My cousin Brian was and the same type of crap happen with My Godparents Marietta & Eddie too. After My Grandpa past, Marietta stopped sending Me checks and calling Us...it was a tradition she did for Me since I was a little boy and My Grandma never knew why...one of the last times was that My Grandma got her a good Angel Statue from a place on Hampton for her birthday...there was no thank you, no I don't like...no nothing...the communication just stopped and nobody from her family bothered telling Us anything at all and it's been been like that ever since :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: So agin this brings Me to Karen because showed nothing toward My Grandpa and I don't think she knows nor cares about My Grandma being gone either when My Grandma took care of Karen when she was a child when My Grandma's brother couldn't :roll: Is all she does is BookFace and I get all of these notification from her friends that I don't know and I'm like who in the heck cares about this...nobody is talking about Our Family's history, anything about Me and so on...I'm supposed to be so social with you and this band of joblos when you can't even call the house...I don't think so :x This is always such a bittersweet situation so anyway here's the gif that Karen sent Me.

OK, so enough of that stuff. Here's the really cool stuff of My Birthday :) Me & My Mom went to...

Yes, that's right...We went to Steak 'n Shake which is the only one close in Our area. If you don't know, Steak 'n Shake is an old fashioned burger joint and is famous for Steakburgers as their slogan says. They were the leading fast food place in the country...even more so than McDonald's & Burger King :o Their slightly younger than White Castle but still their quite old. Now notice I said "were". Back in the late 2010s they made this foolish investment deal and it backfired on them and it wiped out many of their restaurants. If you love Steak 'n Shake and went there all the time this was a pretty big deal :roll: One of the great locations was across the street from Walgreens on Gravois, Hampton & Germania. I showcased this location in My Odds & Ends when I posted My grand showcase of Groundhog Day as well as other times. It's always been a favorite area of Mine.

Now, for My Birthday I took pictures of this little byt great journey going to this location of Steak 'n Shake. Remember when I said about taking pictures of stores & places for historic reasons including showing/reminding/teaching Family & Friends before it all fall to Oblivion...well I wasn't kidding about that...I'm a serious person and I was quite serious about that people should do this cause look at how many businesses & people I talk about and showcased that have come and gone and there is so little if anything being done about them and with such so few doing this in My area, it makes this limbolic age even worse so I kept on thinking I gotta take these pictures and what a time to do it on My-Day and well...I did it :o

So My local Steak 'n Shake is in South Town on Chippewa & Kingshighway, the area I've talked and shown many times prior but I'm showing ALL of this IN PERSON and NOT from Instant Street View like I usually do. First off My pics are good but it's night time which I love but the details don't come out as well during nocturnal activities but that's ok, you can't say that I didn't try ;) So first off here's the Planet Fitness. This used to be Shop 'n Save. Me & My Grandma used to shop here since the 90s after National went out of business and was taken over by Schnucks across the street that I've talked and showcased about many times. We shopped at Shop 'n Save till My Grandma got sick and couldn't go out anymore. Since the P!amDemic had to happen, they were going under but boy, Schnucks took the advantage of the situation in similar fashion like they did National and just took them over...ran with the money and never ever re-branded or used them again :roll: If it wasn't for the few plebeians like Myself and the people on YT posting various things about them, they'd really be in a severe stage of limbo :x I had to take that shot because that IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME :)

So there's where Applebees once was. It's now a Cajun place called Hook & Reel Cajun Seafood & Bar. My Grandma loved Applebees and their Baby-back Ribs :) I loved their Burgers & Fries & Mozzarella Cheese Sticks. In the foreground is Jack in the Box that We rarely went to. On the far left that's a Bank and on the far right is where some stores used to be but now it's all boarded-up and looks so different now compared to years ago.

Next is the plaza. Now follow Me left to right. Most of this has changed over time. That complex on the left used to be a Ponderosa Steakhouse and Bonanza Steakhouse that I mentioned before. After it went out business it became a nice Blockbuster Video. We went there a lot. There was a nice Cigarette Store My Grandma loved to go to with a really cool female security guard that was there :batwink: There was a UPS Store as well. Old St. Louis Chop Suey of St. Louis is still there thank goodness. I have many memories of that good place. I loved to watch the Chinese Cooks flame up that grill :!: Next to them is a Subway that is still there that I had good times at. Next to them there was a great Little Cesar's there in the 90s when they actually delivered before they came up with the takeout gimmick they have now. At the corner of the complex was a Chinese acupuncture clinic. OK, now after the driveway entrance way was a cool Record Store & RAC/Rent-A-Center that I talked about & showcased in My Modern Wrestling Collection Topic. They've been gone for a very long time. Harbor Tools shares that complex now which used to be Walgreens but they moved across the street. Oh I remember that grand opening of Walgreens in about 1991 with My Grandma I mean there was a ton of people there. I got a lot of stuff there too including My great Star Wars OT VHS Box Set in 1995 :)

So here's where Walgreens moved a cross the street. GameStop is right behind them. I was amazed that those buildings over there are all boarded up now...there used to be a very expensive Toy Shop that I rarely went to years ago.

OK, now look to middle & to the left...this is THE AREA that I've talked about so much and now it's nearly unrecognizable. This is where Famous-Barr & National was. You can see the pics that I posted elsewhere in the topics and see more of it. All of that history is long gone there. There's such a little amount of it online which really sucks. When I took this picture I was thinking very hard about that so many people come and go by this area that thinks nothing of it or doesn't even know which arguably sucks even harder :x :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Now see the corner of the complex...that's where that darn Quizno's was which I really disliked that place cause how they were. I gave them good business but making 6 or 7 subs was too hard for them I mean they acted so lazy and all that crap...it was extras for Me & My family for a couple of days...you know...left overs :!: Well, because of their Generational-non caring for business...they went OUT of business not that long after that. I didn't feel sorry for them not one bit :smheat: There's Pet's Mart with another good look at where National was as you see a hint of Steak 'n Shake :)

So here We are at Steak 'n Shake...the restaurant looks very much like it did years ago :)

Here's the front door entry..notice the Own a Steak 'n Shake Sticker on it...never before were they owned & operated by an individual owner...they used to be a big company :shock:

So now We're inside and it's like an alternate reality or even like Back to the Future Part II. It's the same place but darn is it different or what :? They used to have waiters & waitresses wait on you when you first come in set you down to a section to eat at. the order station is way different, no more stools to sit & eat at. There's noting but credit only kiosk :roll: Since this was the first time We've been here since the P!amDemic, We asked for assistance and the nice black guy there helped Us out. My Mom used the app and got Me a free Specialty Oreo Cookies 'N Cream Shake. Another nice black guy helped Us out about that. He was talking to Us and stuff about how Steak 'n Shake has changed because of 2020 & Covid and that they had to scrap over a $100 off of the menus (also he said Covid is coming back and if you've been following the news...he's right!!). I told him how I loved the Jamaican Jerk, The Wisconsin & The Fish plus more and he; like yep, their all gone :roll: I mean their house absolutely suck...open 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM every night....they USED TO BE 24 HOURS a day for breakfast to midnight snacks to late dinners..I said it before Me & My Mom used to love to go places late at night I mean 11:00 PM and because of no crowds and it's just plan fun...not anymore :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Here's the cool banner above saying since 1934, see not as old as Whit Castle @ 1921 but still long ago ;)

So while We're waiting for Our food, I took a look around and took some more pics. As you see their not busy at all which really is not a good thing.

So they moved the Vending Machine from the entrance way to near the rest rooms. See that booth/bench area :?: That's where Me & My Grandma were at that night when the power went out at the house. I shared My great story in My Odds & Ends in My grand Playing Card Showcase which if you haven't read it you need to because it's a very touching story :)

So these are the types of Claw Vending Machines We used to play all the time for decades. I have talked about this type of stuff many times in My Odds & Ends especially when I showcased My Belt Buckle Collection in My said all-crucial Topic because that's how I got each & every one of them :o I don't know if the Mexican fills these Machines up anymore since places like Schnucks discontinued them out...I hope he's still around :roll:

Here's two pictures on their wall that I was glad they still had because their so historical :)

Here's their Fountain Soda & Refreshments :)

Their getting ready to hand Us Our food as you see a worker actually cooking a steak burger there as they do it right in front of you as their never frozen...I have always loved to watch them cook :batwink:

So now We got Our Order. My Mom is double checking to make sure it's all there because there's been countless times that Our orders from any place, it never fails that was missing items especially ones you really wanted and their not in the bag and We hate that :!: So We're heading out. Notice the Height Ruler Wall Decal there, I always looked at the 7 foot marker and always thought & said that's how tall Kane, the Big Red Machine is :batwink: Also notice the Welcome to Steak'n Shake picture on the wall as a couple is coming to the door :)

So the Order is fine and We're heading out and going to the Chippewa & Kingshighway route ;)

So We're home and there's Our Steak 'n Shake Order. They really changed their bags and look like many other places now. They used to have really distinctive & fancy looking black & white bags.

Here's inside the bag with the goodies :)

They changed how they put the burgers & fries too. The burgers were never in boxes like other places and the fries were in b&w cartons. Really it looks more like Wendy's, BK or McDonald's and not Steak 'n Shake. There's My yummy Oreo Shake plus little extras :)

Well all of the food is gone. Mom ate her double burger & fries and I ate My 2 double cheeseburgers & 2 fries. She had mixed emotions if the burger tasted the same as they did years ago as she thought this was dryer but she said the fries were the same because Steak 'n Shake has some of the best tasting fries ever. I for one noticed some differences but I was quite thankful that I got this for My B-Day and is all that was left was some condiments of Ketchup & Mustard by Heinz which are historically labeled now with States including New York, Pennsylvania & indiana :)

Here's the 2022 Steak 'n Shake Copyright. If you have been faithfully following My showcases then you know why the Copyrights are important :batwink:

Here's My Receipt in My Name :) Look at that, it's 9:03, they would be closing in less than an hour...never ever in My wildest dreams would I ever think that Steak 'n Shake would ever close...it was unheard of during the good ol' days :o They alongside so many places are still really "milking" the Covid stuff :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Like I said before, going to fast food joints used to be fun but now it's a treat since the food costs so much. You gotta savior each and every bite and sync it all in during these ridicules times of inflation :!:

I picked up 2 of these Booklets about owning a Steak 'n Shake with a $10K Investment...REALLY :o :batshock: :wwsmh: :smgasp:

Now since My little but very fun journey is over, here's what I was able to get for My Birthday with little funds that i was thankful to have. First up is a action figure that I was longing to have for 25 years and still I question Myself why I didn't get her before but no matter...I got her now and it's Adi Gallia from the Hasbro Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace :o She is part of the revolutionary (at the time) CommTech Chip Reader series. Back in the day My Grandparents got me some of the figures as well as the Reader. You peg the figure on the Chip which is actually a display stand as well onto the Reader and the figures say multiple quotes electronically. It was so fun back then :) I got her from Brian's Toys on Amazon. they specialize in SW figures. I got her for only $8.07 which is a tremendous price brand new :) Here's a look at her front & back :)

Back in the day I had a small crush on her. Still I find her beautiful. She's a Tholothian female that's part of the Jedi High Council. Her figure is great and Hasbro did what they could with her and really she has a good likeness. I love her blue eyes and they even put the blue hue highlights on her dark skin tone as well. She includes her EU Crimson Lightsaber. Here's aclose up of her plus her CommTech :)

This series as well as the film has it's 25th Anniversary this year from 1999 :o

On the side of her package there was a Meijer Price Sticker, the price was $6.40 which wasn't bad at all back then :)

Now here we go with My other present to Meself and it's one I wanted for a while since 2021 and I finally got it...it's the Godzilla vs. Kong Hollow Earth Mini Figure Set by Playmates :o It's very impressive looking. Many times I have gotten Godzilla figures for My Birthday and this is just as cool as those times :)

So the set includes 6 Titans/Kaijus. First is a Skullcrawler, Hellhawk, Godzilla, King Kong, Behemoth & Warbat. The scale is way off on some by it isn't on others. The sculpting is really good. It's strange that they included Behemoth because he wasn't even in the film. Back in 2005, Playmates made figures of the 2005 King Kong, three of them were Minis like these which were Kong, V-Rex & Foetodon. The Foetodon was actually in the Godzilla vs. Kong film for unknown reasons so when it is time I'm going to cross these over with them plus their reminiscent of the ones by Bandai so I may cross them over with them as well...I love little figures like this :o

The Packaging is quite impressive however this set is made by Playmates. As great as this looks I'm very disappointed in it. Why :?: Because Playmates has been known since they began as a company to have major bios & info about the characters on their blister packaging. That's one of the reasons why I always loved them. Every series they'd go the extra mile more than any other company especially their TMNT & Star Trek. With this set there is NO info at...no stories...there's not even any names on the card except for Godzilla & Kong. It's really pathetic how they skimped this, it;s very disappointing. I mean many kids today don't care about the details but there's gonna be some that do and if there's any kids out there like how I was when I was youngster then they'll want allhe info they can handle :!: Such a poor decision on the part of Playmates :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Here's the Toho & Legendary 2020 Copyright & Info.

Now here's My Hasbro SW Adi Gallia & Playmates Godzilla vs. Kong Hollow Set together for My Birthday :)

As a side note...I usually pick movies for My B-Day so Me & Mom watched 5 or so days worth which included Bloodsport, The Super Inframan, The X-Files: Fight the Future + 2 episodes Fallen Angel & the Beginning, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, My Science Project & Ricochet. I'm quite thankful for that, for Steak 'n Shake and that I got these figures. Vintage all the way on SW. I hope Playmates makes more Titans in this scale as I'd love to have the other monsters seen in the film. This will conclude My Birthday special. I hope you liked My journey and thought it was interesting and what got for Myself :)
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:37 am

Sounds like a good day. McDonald's is the worst around here for forgetting to put stuff in a bag. I mean, how hard is it to read a screen in order and put everything in a bag? It's always the one time you forget to look that you get home and they forgot the dipping sauce, or the fries, or something.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:47 am

Yes it was PB ;) Shame it's your McDonald's. Yeah really, how hard is it :?: Yes, it is, it never failed when We take it for granted that it's all there and it isn't...this even goes for places you order online like Pizza Joints as well :roll: Thanks for your reply PB, I appreciate it :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Previous

Return to General Discussions