Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Dioramas

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Diora

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Star Wars Millennium Falcon Cockpit 1 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I made this Millennium Falcon Cockpit Diorama out of a cheap styrofoam bait bucket. I cut out the window section first, then I put in the floor and covered the inside with cut out pieces of sticky-back foam sheets to make the surfaces consistant and smooth. I used paper clay to fill in some of the gaps. I carved the dashboard out of that soft green floral styrofoam and glued it into place. I painted the inside with a mixture of gray and silver acrylic paints and plain old elmer's glue. I always try to make these dioramas look like they're made out of plastic, like they're real toys and playsets. I stapled on the headphone wires around the arch. I cut out flexible, soft foam and painted it white for the padding along the inside of the arch.

I made the back wall out of foam core board. I cut out the doorway and used the sticky-back foam for all the raised panels. All the different plastic bits and pieces are just odd-ball parts from models, ear-bud headphones and an old cell phone. I painted and added these pieces to the back wall and the dash before I put on the back wall so I would have more room to work with. Then, I used masking tape to fasten the back wall to the bucket. Finally, I covered the whole outside with cut out pieces of the sticky-back foam and painted it with a mixture of off-white acrylic paint and school glue. I painted some small blemishes on the outside and sprayed the whole thing with dullcoat to help even out some of the paint and protect it.

Star Wars Millennium Falcon Cockpit 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

"That's No Moon."

I know it's not "Movie Accurate", but I added a couple of hooks on the back wall to hang breathing masks and goggles on and a utility / toolbelt from a cheapie generic figure to the side of the arch for when Chewie has to do some maintenance. The windshield piece is the lid from a pringles can and the steering contols are a set of trucks from an HO scale railcar toy.

Star Wars: Millennium Falcon by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I wanted the base to look nice without drawing too much attention. I made it out of two pieces of styrofoam packing material. I glued them together and covered them with some of that sitcky-back foam. To finish it off, I covered it with a mixture of black acrylic paint, school glue and craft sand. It kinda looks like it was carved out of stone.

Star Wars Millennium Falcon Cockpit 6 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Star Wars: Millennium Falcon by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Star Wars: Land Of The Jawas by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars Jawa Sandcrawler 1 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I've wanted to do a Sandcrawler vehicle for a long time. I probably couldn't find an official Kenner or Hasbro Sandcrawler for a decent price, so I decided to make my own at home on the cheap in my spare time.

The first thing I did was decide what scale to do it in. This Sandcrawler is totally inaccurate compared to the one in the movie, but to do one that large would not be very practical for me. I finally decided to do the Sandcrawler in a similar scale to the vintage Kenner radio controlled version.

Star Wars Jawa Sandcrawler 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

First, I made the basic shapes that I wanted from scraps of cardboard that I had lying around. The hold, nose and engine compartment in the back were made in 3 separate pieces and I used masking tape to put them together and cover some of the seams. Then used cut out pieces of sticky-back foam sheets to cover the Sandcrawler with raised panels. I added more detail by gluing on parts from a HO scale railcar toy and a Russian tank model I got from a yard sale.

Star Wars Jawa Sandcrawler 3 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I like doing my own interpretations with my custom playsets and dioramas. However I did try to replicate certain aspects of the old Kenner version of the Sandcrawler, like the window on this side and the large door and ramp on the other side.

Star Wars: Purchase Of The Droids 1 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Star Wars: Bespin Duel 1 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: Bespin Duel 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: Bespin Duel 3 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: Bespin Duel 4 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The walls for this diorama were made of cheap insulation styrofoam that I picked up at Home Depot. I used masking tape around the edges and covered the styrofoam with sticky-back foam sheets. On the wall sections I used an ink pen and a ruler to score the sticky-back foam, creating lots of detailed panels. The window was a lid from a carry-out pasta dish with large sections cut out and the frame was made out of the foam sheets again . I glued on some model parts here and there and the silver coils are just twisty ties that I wound around a metal coat hanger The floating pipe is a piece of junk plastic I bought for a quarter at Vintage Stock a while back. I attached it to a thin post that can be inserted into the back wall of the Diorama and added a few twisty ties on the very top to help give it a sense of movement. The whole diorama was painted with a mixture of acrylic paints and plain ol' elmer's school glue, then I hit it with a little gray spray paint to make it look a little more even. Finally I dry brushed the whole diorama with some silver acrylic paint. It's definitely not screen accurare, but I prefer doing my own version and I think it looks pretty cool.

Star Wars: Bespin Duel 5 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 1 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The diorama walls and floor are made of foamcore sheets. I used sticky-back foam sheets and small tiles of balsa wood for all of the raised panels. The floor is covered with a sheet of sticky-back foam. I scored it with a ruler and pen to make the seams. After I put everything together, I brushed on a mix of Elmer's school glue and white acrylic paint.

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Luke's hospital chair was originally a gunner seat that plugged into the top of The Real Ghostbusters' Ecto 1 vehicle. I removed the guns, added some plastic do-dads and gave it a coat of silver acrylic paint. I painted the pads white and used the 30th Anniversary Tredwell Droid for it's base. I added a few more bits of plastic junk and some wires to the base to give it some extra detail. The chair is a little too big for Luke, but I reasoned that it might have been made for all different sized species.

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 3 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The Silver pieces on the walls are just bits of junk plastic and parts from a tank model that I spraypainted silver. The cables and coiled wires are just clear twisty ties that I didn't even bother to paint. I made the coils by wrapping the twisty tie tightly around a wire coathanger. I made a couple of these coils for a Bespin diorama a while back and I liked them so much, I decided to add a couple to this dio as well.

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 4 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 5 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Luke Skywalker : "So, is this thing good to go?

2-1B Medic Droid : "I'd test it out on a hot dog first, so you don't rip your d!@% off."

Star Wars: Medical Frigate 7 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I think it would have been cheating just to print out a picture and slap it on the back of this diorama, so instead I made this shadowbox. I used foamcore again for the shadowbox and completely covered the inside with black sheets of sticky-back foam. I spraypainted the whole thing flat black so this back section wouldn't draw too much attention away from the front. I dotted the inside with white acrylic to make the stars. In the movie, the Falcon flys away from the fleet and makes a left around a beautiful, starry formation. I didn't think I'd be able to paint it on and make it convincing, so I just ommited it altogether. The tiny Millennium Falcon is actually a keychain that I bought for a couple of dollars. I removed the chain that was on it and gave it a black paint wash to bring out more of the fine sculpted details. I drilled a hole in the side of it at an angle and used a nail to attach it to the inside of the shadow box. I placed it at an angle to give the impression that it's flying away and to conceal the nail holding it in place. You can't see the nail at all, no matter what angle you look at it through the window. I glued a thin sheet of plexiglass to the back of the Medbay section and finally, I glued the shadowbox section to the back of the diorama. The flat black paint & glare on the plexiglass helps to keep you from seeing the inside corners of the shadowbox and adds to the effect, but the plexiglass glare also made this diorama very difficult to photograph.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Bounty Hunter Showdown by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I'm not a huge fan of the Expanded Universe stuff, I've read the Shadows of the Empire novel and a handful of SW comics. I don't know a whole lot of the details, but supposedly Boba tries to hideout for a while after he captures Han Solo until the heat dies down. I'm sure this isn't exactly how it went down, but I think the other bounty hunters make a play for Solo at some point before he gets delivered to Jabba. I got this idea to put all the Bounty Hunters in an action scene because I get tired of just seeing them just stand around all the time. Here we have a bunch of neat looking characters with lots of articulation and most of the time you just see them standing around in neutral poses.

Bounty Hunter Showdown 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The chain-link fence in the back is originally from an octogon playset for larger wrestling figures that I bought for $10 on clearence. The dividers between the fence sections had a cross-hatched sorta texture to them so I covered them with sticky-back foam and drybrushed them with black & silver paints. The guns hanging on the fence are mostly from Clone Gear weapons lockers that come with some Saga Legends figures. There are a few spacey-looking G.I.Joe guns there too that were leftover from my custom Serenity figures. I drybrushed the weapons with black and silver acrylic paint so you could see all the little, sculpted details & so they would stand out more against the fence. The floor is a peice of insulation styrofoam covered with sticky-back foam sheets and painted. I used some of those Ultarama foot pegs to keep the figures from falling over.

Bounty Hunter Showdown 3 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Bounty Hunter Showdown 4 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I'm Boba the Fett by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The Bantha Skull by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I got this nifty banner accessory in a box of junk at a garage sale. It's from some midieval Lego set I think. The round base is a wheel from a Tank Model I've used for parts and I hand-painted the red Bantha Skull logo. I think it looks pretty good but I mostly decided to include it in the dio to fill up space behind Dengar and make everything look more balanced.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Star Wars Oola Custom by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I did this Custom Oola figure a few years ago, before I had either of the official Hasbro versions. This was one of my first Custom figures.

Star Wars Jedi Training Remote Custom 4 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Not really a custom figure, but a custom accessory. I made the Training Remote out of sculpty and it can be attached to the lightsaber with a blast effect piece.

Star Wars Bespin Wing Guard Customs by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I bought these Star Trek figures on clearance and repainted them as Bespin Guards for background filler in an eventual diorama.

Star Wars Death Star Cannons by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The cannon on the left is from Hasbro's Phantom Menace toy line. It fires a torpedo and the clear plastic barrel on top lights up. There was a little brown paint on the base but I took it apart and repainted in with a dark metallic gray acrylic paint. I think it would look good on the Death Star since the Gear or Cog part on the side looks like the Imperial Logo.

The cannon on the right is from a POTJ Slave Leia & Sail Barge Cannon Deluxe figure pack. It's the deck cannon that Luke & Leia used to destroy Jabba The Hutt's sail barge in Return of the Jedi. Originally it was all a weird brownish green color plastic, so I had to take it all apart and repaint it with the same metallic gray acrylic paint that I used on the other cannon. This one fires two missiles.

Shadows of the Empire Luke Skywalker by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Custom Shadows of the Empire Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. This is how they appeared in the comics based on the Novel. Shadows of the Empire takes place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby Tom Turbine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Dude, what camera do you use? Those pictures are amazing!
In Seaboard City, crime doesn't pay!!
Tom Turbine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Death Star Han by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Bespin Security Guard, Steve Martin by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

A while back Hasbro released a new, Black Bespin Wing Guard with Super Articulation and I bought a few of them as army builders. I thought it would be cool to customize one to add a little more variety to my collection. All I did with this figure was repaint his head, hands and neck to look caucasion and repainted his hair. I have a bunch of Bespin Guards already, so I decided to do something different with this figure and make him be "The Old Dude" and repainted his eyebrows and hair gray and white. I didn't plan on it, but he sorta looks like Steve Martin.

Custom Vintage Nikto Repaint by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

This is my old Vintage Nikto figure I had as a kid. He had lots of paint scratched off and scuff marks and his arms were really yellowed. All these things made him a candidate for a custom repaint. I tried to match some of his original paint and added some details to make him look a little weathered. His force pike is stolen from a modern SW figure and he is standing on top of a custom-made figure stand.

Antique Force Detail Han Solo by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The figure on the left is an original vintage Han Solo figure from Kenner's 70's line. My custom figure on the right was originally from a Shield Generator Assault Battlepack who generously donated his gunbelt to my custom Malcom Reynolds. The head is from the Death Star Han figure that came with partial Stormtrooper Armor. I made a new gunbelt and holster out of sculpty and repainted his pants black to match the vintage figure. I repainted his neck to better match is new head even though it doesn't come across in this photo. I think it has something to do with the flash on my camera, because to the naked eye and under normal lighting conditions the neck does seem to match the head and hands. The front of Han's shirt is not exactly accurate, but I'm really happy with the way this figure turned out.

Star Wars Money-Shot C-3PO by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

It all started with the best intentions. I had an extra 3PO figure that was supposed to look like he was covered in sand and he actually had some sand detail sculpted on his shoulders and chest. Rather than shaving it off and having another plain C-3PO, I thought it would be fun to make my own variant that looked like he'd been covered in snow during the rebels' flight from Echo Base. I repainted him gold and splattered him with white acrylic paints. It didn't come out quite like I planned.

Antique Force Detail Chewbacca by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

After I finished with this Han Solo custom I thought it might be cool to have a Vintage style Chewie to go with him. This Chewbacca figure probably doesn't get much love from collectors. He's from the Revenge of the Sith line and has a "Wookie Rage" play feature. When you squeeze his legs together, he throws back his head and flails his arms. The end result is a figure that only looks good in this one pose, but it's a sweet relaxed pose and he looks pretty badass here. All I did here was repaint the compartments on his bandolier white as a nod to the Vintage Chewie figure. It's really simple, but I think it looks pretty sharp.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Chris wrote:Dude, what camera do you use? Those pictures are amazing!

Thank You! I've been posting stuff kinda randomly but the photos on the first page are more recent than the ones on the second page. All the newer stuff was taken with a 12 mega pixel Nikon Coolpix L22. It's a fairly inexpensive camera, but it works good for me and most of the stuff I do with it.

Some of these older pictures were taken with a 8 mega pixel Canon Power Shot camera. I can't remember what the model number was, but it had a screen that could rotate around to face forward before they started making cameras with screens on both sides for people who like to take selfies. It was a great camera, but it's way outdated now.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Custom Vintage-Style Luke Skywalker by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

When the orginal Star Wars movie came out in 1977, Kenner wasn't prepared to meet the demand for Star Wars action figures so instead they sold the Early Bird Kit which was basically a voucher for 4 figures that hadn't made it to stores yet. The Early Bird Kit was the first place where fans could get Star Wars figures.

The modern figure to the right was released a few years back and came from a special set that was made to pay homage to the old Early Bird Kit. This Luke figure has the same telescoping Lightsaber feature that the Vintage figure came with over 30 years ago. Unfortunately, this figure needed some work. Originally his shirt was about the same color as his pants, his hair was painted with a very dark brown paint and there was some paint slop around his face and right hand. When I set about repainting him I loosely based him off the Vintage Luke figure.

Custom Vintage-Style Luke Skywalker (2) by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

When I repainted Luke's hair, I chickened out and went with a more realistic light, redish brown instead of the bright yellow like his predecessor. I repainted his shirt with a really light cream colored acrylic paint and touched up spots around his belt and hands. I was careful not to paint the working parts of his ball jointed shoulders so that I could maintain his limited articulation. Also, I tried not to get any paint in the slot on the back of his lightsaber arm to keep the lightsaber easy to slide back and forth. My favorite part is his belt buckle. I don't know if it really comes across in the photos, but the Vintage Luke has 5 raised bumps on his belt buckle which I recreated on my custom by dotting the buckle with paint. I guess you could say I got lazy since I didn't repaint the legs to look more like the Vintage version, but I thought they were fine the way they were. When I finished with the paints, I gave him a couple of coats of Testor's Brand Dullcoat to help even out and protect the paint. Anyway, I had a lot of fun doing this fairly simple custom and I think he looks really great!

Custom Cantina Figure Stands by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

These figure stands were made out of plain old paper clay. I painted them with acrylic paints, did a black paint wash on top of them and brushed on a coat of elmer's glue to make them look a little damp. I bought the pegs through a website that sells unique action figure display bases www.ultarama.com/ The Ultarama base is riddled with small holes that fit these tiny figure foot pegs and help secure the figures to the base. You can also buy the pegs separately in small zip-up baggies. There are 2 sizes of pegs. The white ones I used here fit modern Star Wars and many other 3.75 inch figures and there are larger black pegs that fit Vintage Star Wars and other larger scale figures.

Custom Cantina Figure Stands 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars Death Star Cannon by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Here's the G.I. Joe Cannon I was looking for before I did my other two custom Death Star Cannons. I found it at a store called Vintage Stock. It's like the Island of Lost Toys there and I bought this cannon for about $5.00. It was originally drab green and all I did was repaint it with a metallic gray acrylic paint. It's not that much like the ones in the Star Wars movies, but it's a great looking toy cannon and I love the chair!

Custom Repaint Chewbacca by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

This figure came out in the current Saga Legends line and he had a lot of grey fur and light grey flecks in his original paint deco. I thought the greys were kind of overdone and so I brushed on a few layers of medium brown acrylic paint to make the greys and highlights seem more subdued. I repainted his bandoleer a lighter redish brown and then used silver acrylic to touch up all of his ammo pouches. This slicked-back hair version of Chewie reminds me more of how he appeared in A New Hope.

The Vintage Collection C-3PO by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections