Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Dioramas

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Diora

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Custom Repaint Farmboy Luke by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

"The Ford Finger" by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars Endor Rebel Trooper: Nick Sant by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I bought a couple extra Endor Rebel Commandos to customize because they are so plentiful in my area. Since this figure originally came with a goatee, I decided to take it one step further and give him a full beard. I don't remember anything specific about Nick Sant in Return of the Jedi, I just googled "Endor Rebel Trooper" and found a few results with pictures of this character. All I did here was paint over his existing goatee and the rest of his jaw with medium grey acrylic paint and when that dried I gave him another coat except with white paint instead. I left a little grey paint showing around the edges and the thinner spots of the white paint allow some more of the grey to show through. I don't know if it comes across in the photo, but the white paint was pretty thick and helped to add a little texture. I removed the figure's original trenchcoat and replaced it with a short sleeve jacket from an older Saga Collection Endor Rebel.

Star Wars Custom Droids by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

From left to right the first is a Vintage Style Power Droid. He originally came with the blue & silver Treadwell Droid in 2006's Saga Collection. I filled in the two holes on top with sculpting clay and removed the cord wrapped around him. I used acrylic paints and tried to make him look more like the old Kenner Power Droid figure. The wire that runs along the top and side of him is a piece of string that I glued on and I added a couple of small squares of sculpty to cover the rough spots where the superglue dried. I used a piece of juck plastic as the antenna and I didn't bother to repaint the legs or feet. He has a button on the side that you can push to make it look like he's walking.

Second is just a dirtied-up R4-G9 figure from the ROTS line. I found this figure for $2 or $3 at Vintage Stock but I wasn't wild about the color scheme, so I bought him anyway to repaint and use as filler in a diorama. I painted the whole droid black and used a heavy paintbrush to remove some of the paint under the tap in the sink. Pretty easy.

Next is the Treadwell droid that came with the Power Droid. All I did here was use some black and brown acrylic paint to make him look dirty and I splattered him with a light tan paint using an old toothbrush.

Finally there's the Yellow and Silver Pull-Back droid. This is a figure of my own creation, so I'm going to call him 0GT-1. He originally came in a TPM accessory set. He has a spring-loaded play feature in which you can pull him back and release him on a flat surface. I drilled 2 small holes in the sides to fit the arms from a WED Treadwell Droid and comletely repainted him to look weathered.

A Savage Clan of Man-Eating Muppets by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Really nice displays, OG. Like film stills. I especially love the ewoks group shot!!
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Princess_Amethyst wrote:Really nice displays, OG. Like film stills. I especially love the ewoks group shot!!

Thanks! I have gone through phases where I didn't like the ewoks very much but it's hard not to like the figures, especially when they used to give you two for the price of one basic figure. :smsmile:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby Smallville » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:41 am

Speechless.
Smallville
Rookie
Rookie

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Battle of Hoth Playset by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I bought the old POTF2 Hoth Battle Playset from an ex-collector on the cheap. It was unopened in the original box, but when I opened it up it had a really ugly yellow tint to the plastic, so I decided to modify and repaint it to make it look a little better. First I arranged the 2 separate Trench pieces the way that I wanted and cut the base out of a large sheet of insulation styrofoam. I used paper clay to attach the plastic playset pieces to the styrofoam base and to make them blend together. I brushed on major amounts of a mixture of school glue and white acrylic paint. When that was dry, I painted the whole thing with watered down pool blue acrylic and gave it all a few light coats (kinda like a dusting) of glossy white Krylon spray paint. Then I hand painted some of the finer details and gave it another light coat of spray paint.

Battle of Hoth Playset 2 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Battle of Hoth Playset 3 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

So, why do they call it Hoth anyway? Shouldn't they call it Coldth? What's up with that?

Battle of Hoth Playset 4 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I'm not much of a photog, but with these first four photos I tried to imitate the box art from some of the vintage Star Wars vehicles and playsets. I chose the hot pink background because it's similar to the photos on my vintage Snowspeeder box. I messed with the temperature and saturation a little in windows too. To me these pictures scream Vintage Playset!

Battle of Hoth Playset 5 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I took these three photos before I thought of the pink background. I think you can get a better idea of the playset and it's parts from these pictures.

I believe all of Hasbro's offical Hoth Rebel Soldiers are represented here. From left to right there's the Basic carded Legacy version, the petite blue carded Saga version, an old basic carded POTF2 version in back, the UBP/Target 3-pack version, the blue carded Saga Deluxe Hoth Accessory set figure and finally the Deluxe POTF2 Hoth Rebel Soldier with the Radar Dish. If I'm missing any, please let me know.

This playset originally came with a massive spring loaded canon that could be mounted to the top of the left trench, but it was way too big so I removed it and covered up the mount with paperclay. The Rebel Soldier to the far left came with a much more in scale, non-firing canon on a tripod. I removed the tripod legs from that canon and drilled a small hole for the canon's post with a dremel tool.

Battle of Hoth Playset 6 by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

My favorite part of the whole playset is the little foot prints in the trenches. The original paint didn't do much in the way of highlighting these neat little sculpted details, so I dabbed them all with some watered down black acrylic paint before I sprayed on the last coat of spray paint. After that, I touched them up by hand with white acrylic.

I glued the turret in place, permanently sealed the side door and the hatch on top and painted them the same as I did everything else. The turret canon is a separate part that snaps onto the turret, so I removed for easier painting. I repainted it a darker metallic gray. It originally had a much longer barrel and a really lame firing gimmick that was supposed to look like flames. I removed the vinyl flames from the barrel and cut it down a little shorter. I returned it to the turret just before the last dusting of white spray paint.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Smallville wrote:Speechless.

Thank You! :D
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Star Wars: Dagobah Diorama by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

My favorite chapter of the Star Wars Trilogy has always been Empire Strikes Back. I actually wore out a copy of it on VHS when I was a kid. I watched all the parts with Yoda again and again until the whole middle of the movie was just fuzzy, white static.

I looked at a lot of different pictures of Dagobah toys and displays online and finally decided to model my diorama after the Vintage Kenner playset.

Star Wars: Enter Dagobah by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

I really tried to make this diorama look busy and organic. The vines are actually twisty ties covered in many layers of paints. I used paper clay to blend the different parts together and add detail to the ground. A lot of the texture was done by brushing on a mixture of paint, craft sand and elmers school glue. The flat stones are slices of that soft floral styrofoam that were glued down and painted.

Away with your weapon, I mean you no harm. by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: You Seek Yoda! by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The tree trunk that Yoda is sitting on was originally part of a Toy Biz Marvel Legends set. I used paper clay to make the top concave and to blend the roots in with the ground. I globbed on several thick layers of dark paint and drybrushed it with light grays, browns and blues to highlight the details. This is probably my favorite part of the whole dio.

Star Wars: R2 meets Yoda by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Yoda's Home on Dagobah by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: R2-D2 being nosey by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Yoda's hobbit hole was made from paper clay shaped over a bowl. I cut out a little window for R2 to peek through and did the bark-like texture with a toothpick. I painted the inside a solid light brown and drybrushed the outside with many different shades of brown. I think it looks like a Smurf's mushroom house without the cap.

Star Wars: Jedi Training on Dagobah by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The base for this Diorama is Insulation Styrofoam that I bought at Home Depot for cheap. I carved out 2 concave areas for the pools in front and back. After most of the other painting was done, I mixed some light blue acrylic paint with school glue and poured it into these spots to make it look like standing water. It took forever to dry and I had to repeat the process several times to make the glue pools even with the rest of the ground.

The levitating stones in this picture were made out of paper clay and stuck together with toothpicks. I played around with a couple of different ways to make the stones look like they're being lifted up, but this is the easiest and most convincing method I could come up with. I made a few other individual stones out of clay and painted them to match the levitaing stones.

Star Wars: Jedi Training on Dagobah by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Shadow of the Darkside by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

This Luke Skywalker figure comes with two sets of arms and 2 different heads so he can backpack with Yoda and perform handstands!

Star Wars: Luke's Vision in the Cave by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: Luke's Vision in the Cave by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Before I saw the abominable prequel trilogy, I always imagined that Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker's final duel might have taken place on Dagobah. It kinda makes sense. Yoda could live safely in exile on Dagobah because Vader's Pride would never permit him to return to the place of his most humiliating defeat. Also, Spewing Anger and Hate during his painful failure, Anakin Skywalker could have been responsible for the Negative (Dark Side) Energy in this part of the swamp where Luke had his terrible Vision. I always thought it would be a good way to help explain a couple of things and help tie the saga together.

I used clay and the craft sand/glue mixture to help conceal a few action figure foot peg stands in the floor of the Diorama. I made the entrance to the cave out of styrofoam and masking tape and coated it with craft sand, elmer's glue and lots of acrylic paints. I drybrushed the pale blue paint on and around the cave entrance to bring out some of the details and to simulate an eerie glow.

Star Wars: Off to Face Darth Vader by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Yoda's Crib by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

I made a round concave area in the middle of the diorama so that Luke would have more headroom while chillin' in Yoda's Crib. I decided to make Yoda's treestump home a separate peice so it would be easy to get figures in and out for more play/display options.

Yoda's Twilight by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

Star Wars: From A Certain Point of Veiw? WTF!?! by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr

The log that Luke is sitting on and the skinny treetrunk on the left side of the diorama were orginally masts from a Lego pirate ship. I used paper clay here again to make the ends look rough. I drybrushed the whole diorama with many different colors and sprayed it with Testors brand Dullcoat just like I do with all my custom figures. After that, I brushed on some Clear elmers glue in certain spots to give parts of the setting a glossy, damp look. The climbing green plants in the back were originally Force lightning bolts that came with the POTF2 Power FX Emperor Palpatine figure.

Star Wars Dagobah Diorama / Playset by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Master Yoda by O.G. Trilogy, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:54 pm

The Dagobah system! I love it!!! I know I've said it before, but honestly, these are insane dios, O.G.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:58 am

AcidDragon wrote:The Dagobah system! I love it!!! I know I've said it before, but honestly, these are insane dios, O.G.

Between work and other things going on it's hard to get time to put together these dioramas, but I really put a lot of hard work and care into them. Everyone's kind words really mean a lot to me. Thanks a lot! :smgrin:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections