Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Discuss all Marvel related media here whether it's comics, games, movies, TV series, animated programs and more!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy and thought it was a great film. I highly recommend it to anyone as it doesn't have the sometimes inaccessible feel of a more traditional superhero flick. The characters are all interesting even though I'm not terribly familiar with this incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy (although I'm familiar with all the modern members like Rocket Raccoon, Drax the Destroyer, etc, but in their older versions/older comics). None of that mattered, though, because it was a really really fun movie. Thoughts? :smgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby Webslinger » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00 am

Did you see what was after the end credits? I haven't see the movie but I know about the Easter egg at the end... I think it was pretty awesome.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Webslinger » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 am

I wish we could have gotten these figures instead...
21449-1.jpg
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 am

Yeah, I wonder if this means they're going to give another "crack" at a movie. See what I did there?
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:19 am

Yeah, those are awesome. I loved the original run. I thought Starhawk II Aleta Ogord was super hot.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 am

Oh, also noticed
Spoiler:
Yondu was in the film but as a sort of anti-hero space pirate captain sort of deal which was interesting, is this also the case in the modern comics?
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 am

No idea... I hope not.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 am

I think most of the Marvel movies have been relentlessly mediocre (and in the case of The Avengers and Iron Man 2, pretty terrible), and even I liked this film a lot. I actually like it a lot more than most of the stuff it pays homage to, like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's a mess, but a charming, irreverent one with surprisingly interesting characters - they're damaged in a way that feels less archetypal, less grandiose, and more human. And Rocket and Groot are at the pinnacle of what CGI can do right now. They're expressive and undoubtable in a way that most computerized stuff can't even approach.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby HectorHall » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 pm

I loved it. The fact that a character that utters the same three words throughout the film could emote so well is a testament to how much Marvel Studios cares about the product. I have been reading comics for 36 years, there are rarely surprises for me in a theatre. When I go to see a movie based on the comics, I find I enjoy it a lot more when I am able to leave preconceptions at the door. On a scale of 1 to 10, this one was a solid 9 for me.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby Illiasc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 pm

I loved the movie. I will admit, I have never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy before news of the movie coming out, but I think they did an excellent job at, as stated previously, giving even the most seemingly "simple" characters, dialogue-wise, a position that is easily loved by the audience. To me, they did an excellent job at letting you explore the personality of each of the characters, as opposed to, say, The Avengers, where I feel I just didn't get attached to a few, as there wasn't enough care put into their roles in the film. (don't get me wrong though, I still loved The Avengers) I also must say, I'm quite glad that there was more color in the film's visuals than many recent comic-based movies. Gives me a better feeling that I'm watching truly live-action versions of a comic. And set mostly in space, that's pretty essential. Watching the movie definitely also had me pretty curious and encouraged into the idea of getting into the Guardians of the Galaxy comics, and seeing what the differences were with the new team the movie was based from and the old one from the 60's and 70's.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Next

Return to Marvel Media