Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

An Idiot's idiotic draw-rings

Post your cool drawings and stories. Share your talent with the community!

Re: An Idiot's idiotic draw-rings

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:48 am

AcidDragon wrote:Wow, awesome artwork, Savant. You have a very solid grasp on rendering values (something I'm trying to work on improving). I particularly love the light values used on your Batman.

Thank you so much AD...I really think that the main reason I was able to achieve those light values is my love if using pastel pencil. I've always taken a more realistic approach to my drawings; for that's how my minds eye sees the world; never been able to wrap my mind around the cartoony and excessively muscled drawings

What's your medium of choice?
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm

You've done a tremendous job on these pieces, Savant. I love the work that you had put into these! You certainly possess a ton of talent! :wwgrin:
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Much appreciated, your Highness...sadly I've devoted my artistic time to customizing (playing) with my toys; but at least I'm still doing something artistic; I'm not a total loss.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Webslinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 am

Great stuff Savant!!!
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks Webs !!!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Illiasc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:18 am

Love all of your work, very nice, and excellent likeness, especially with the movie characters. (Jim Carrey's, Morpheus, etc) The colored pencil ones really caught my attention, as I just can never seem to tackle being good with colored pencils. Would love to see more!
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks a lot Illiasc....I haven't drawn seriously in quite a while, but thanks for the words of encouragement

The one trick I found that works best for me with colored pencils was the "layering effect", meaning in order to get the shades, contrast and shadows on a particular subject, begin with the lighter (or base) colors then layer the other colors you can see, until you get the desired result.

This does take some time to figure out but it's worth it.

As a result of this method being such a pain in the ass, I found my way to my favorite medium; pastel pencils. Use these and blending tools and it's a much easier and more rewarding effort....at least for me
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Illiasc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks for the tip! Now comes that time I dig back up my collection of colored pencils and try it out, haha! I hear you on the pastel penciling though. I'm a huge fan of anything pastel related. But, I think that's where my weakness with colored pencils lies - If it's colors and I can't physically get in there and blend them, well, I'm going to have a difficult time. :wwlol:
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Ah, the trials and tribulations of drawing...I remember those well, but not fondly!

Dig out your tools and start over...it'll be a little rough for you at first (due to length of time away) but it'll come back to ya!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

These look awesome, Savant. I'm really liking the style of your work. I do a bit of artsy stuff as well but have not really put pencil to paper in a while. Maybe it's time for a change.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Fan-Art & Fan-Fiction