Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

DCUC Photo Thread

Discuss the ever popular character comprehensive line "DC Universe Classics" here! This also includes DC Superheroes, DC Universe Classics, DC Unlimited, Batman Unlimited, Club Infinite Earths, Movie Masters, 1966 Batman TV Series, Club Black Freighter, Total Heroes and any other DC figure line utilizing the 6" scale.

DCUC Photo Thread

Postby loolar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I didn't see a photo thread, so I thought I'd get one started, and test-drive AcidDragon's cool Gallery feature!

Apologies for my low-rez camera phone pics...

So I generally do themed "team" displays, typically tied to something I'm watching (e.g., Superfriends with the kids), or reading (really looking forward to Ozymandias, at which time I will mothball one of these displays, do a Watchmen display, and get out the books - I still have the original run, not the trade! - pour a scotch, read and play!).

I know it gets a lot of hate, but I adore my Superfriends collection. My son will be seven in November, my daughter just turned four. A couple of years ago I put in some JLU episodes, and realized they were a bit intense for the short people in the house; I bought a few Superfriends DVDs and all was well in the world again. Totally cheesy, but I love Ted Knight's narration, the triumphant music, and those crazy trio of white lights to segue into the next scene ("Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice!"). The kids love seeing these - Apache Chief and Aquaman are kid favorites!

Here's my JLI, loosely based on the display for Volume 4 of the trade; tough to pick which volume since this one didn't have Barda in it! Notice how Scott is in a dynamic crouch to make Barda bigger. Awesome side-effect of Fire being a little small? Barda looks bigger!

Here's my JSA, loosely based on the cover of the trade collecting the Johns' run. I must admit I haven't read the book yet - it was a birthday gift from (ahem) two years ago. Putting it on the shelf is supposed to guilt me into reading it, but so far all I did was play with the figures.

Here's the rest of the JSA that didn't make it into the Alex Ross cover:

Finally, here's Apokolips, in all its glory. Since I came late to DCUC collecting, I missed the day when I could have army built Parademons by buying extras (and they were so much cheaper then!), so I had to build my "army" the ugly way - the ebay way.
loolar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: DCUC Photo Thread

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Wow, awesome pics, man! I'll post some of my collection, too, when I get my JLU shelf fixed up, they went domino on me when I added Fire. (It's DCUC, I just call the shelf JLU because it's such an expanded version of the team). :smgrin: FYI, another good figure to add to the Apokolips shelf if you ever encounter him at a good price (or you already have him) is Brimstone. He's pretty much official DCUC from the spin-off Public Enemies line but he doesn't look all cartoony since he was a C n' C. :smsmile:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby loolar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I do have Brimstone - well, the wave to build him - but have never removed any of them from the package. Still not sure how I feel about the cartoony head sculpts. I think Icicle and Silver Banshee you could get away with, but that Black Lightning just mocks the fact that I don't have a Bronze Age Outsiders team.
loolar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, out of DC Public Enemies, I have Major Force, Silver Banshee, Black Lightning, Brimstone and Icicle (Jr.?). I agree that Icicle and Banshee look fine for the set and I have Banshee in my Supes display where as Icicle goes with generic villains. Black Lightning's face is really weird, but I already bought him. I might try to sculpt a new head, but it might look worse than what we got. LOL. Brimstone works really well. Major Force well... he does look cartoony but it's mostly the stupid looking hair. If I run into a good replacement, I'll do a head swap.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby amos brearly » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

awesome shots there loolar.

here's some of my previous bat family set up.
IMG_1584_1.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
amos brearly
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 pm

I love the Gotham Skyline and Bat-Cave displays! I have had plans on doing something similar in both cases. I have bought and made some rooftop diorama parts and I have the same Star Trek computer console that you have in your Bat-cave. Great minds think alike I guess.

Here's a Rooftop display I made for my Custom Batsignal. I found some styrofoam craft bricks on clearance at WM and I'm planning on expanding this rooftop and making a few more to go along with it. Haven't really started on the Bat-Cave yet, but you might have inspired me to get to work on that soon!

Custom Comic Style Bat-Signal w/ Light-Up Feature! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

"I'll look into it." Batman Rooftop Diorama by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby loolar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 am

Awesome stuff, Amos and O.G. - you know, for the longest time, I've ignored figures with backdrops or display elements, and now I find myself wishing I hadn't. I did just pick up the Young Justice 6" Batman on Amazon - 15.99! - just to get that rooftop element. I'll let my son have the figure.
loolar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:24 am

Great pics, makes me feel lame for just lining them up on shelves. Time to redo the collection. I also have a tendency to group by team affiliation, and my Wonder Twins stand proudly in the midddle of my Superfriends display. You are not alone. The great thing about the DC property is the fact that the characters can be accessed through different portals for any age group. I had the same experience with my kids,(13 and 11 now) we still pop in the old Challenge of the Superfriends...they are a hoot. I refuse to believe there is any right or wrong to what anyone can or should enjoy in their collection. I dig the odd corners of the DCU, in fact I tend to shy away from most Superman and Batman stuff. That definitely puts me in the minority.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice job on the collections guys! I'll try to get mine posted today after I do the winterizing on the yard...the space I used is to maximize the full DCUC collection I have in a versus format
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby amos brearly » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Og, love your rooftop. with all the bat family that we have gotten its tough to find space for everybody without looking crowded. i have just built 2 more to accommodate more of the villains.
amos brearly
Sidekick
Sidekick

Next

Return to DC Universe Classics and Assorted 6" Scale from Mattel