Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Dioramas

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: O.G. Trilogy's Custom Star Wars Action Figures and Diora

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:01 am

OG, these are some of the best SW dios I've seen...each has its own unique character to it as well as adhering to the films...fantastic job
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Idiot Savant wrote:OG, these are some of the best SW dios I've seen...each has its own unique character to it as well as adhering to the films...fantastic job

Thanks! I usually try to imagine what an official Kenner or Hasbro playset might have looked like and I try to incorporate some simple play features like the trap door in my Jabba's Throne Room. I thought about buying Kenner's old Sandcrawler or Dagobah playset and fixing them up, but I couldn't find complete versions for a good price at the time so I just decided to make my own.

Looking back a while ago I realized that many of my dioramas have openings, doorways and arches in the middle of them. I never really planned on doing them that way, it's just the way they come out most of the the time. I guess it's like an unintentional tradmark. :smummm:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:12 pm

You Near-Sighted Scrap Pile! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Yavin Ceremony Luke Skywalker by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This Luke figure was released several years ago and I initially passed on it because of the poor likeness to Mark Hamill and his dark brown hair color. I picked this up at a flea market for a few bucks and repainted his hair last year. It still doesn't look much like the actor, but he looks much better than he did originally.

Hasbro just rereleased this figure in the 3 3/4 inch Black Series line with an all new head-sculpt, but it's the exact same figure otherwise.

Vintage Collection Landspeeder by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Took this pic to show off my new Landspeeder when I first got in a year or two back.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Star Wars: Battle of Endor / Shield Generator Assault Diorama Playset by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Backdoor of the Shield Generator by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Imperial Biker Scouts by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The tree branches are actually lots and lots of wire twisty ties that I wound up together and dipped in Plasti-Dip. The Plasti-Dip has a rubbery texture and the branches remain flexible so you can spread them apart like branches on an artificial X-mas tree to make it look fuller. I poked holes in cardboard tubes and plugged the branches into the tree trunks. I painted the branches with acrylic paints to match the tree trunks.

Star Wars: Sheild Generator Assault by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Endor Rebel Soldiers by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: C-3PO, R2-D2 and Wicket W. Warrick by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Trees are cardboard tubes from plastic wrap and aluminum foil rolls. I smeared a thin layer of paper clay on each one and used a plastic fork to scrape verticle lines in the clay to make it look like tree bark. I used hot glue to attach the trees to the base and made the roots with paper clay. I used a tooth pick to get the texture on the roots and blend the tree trunks and the roots together.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Star Wars: Freeze, Rebel Scum! by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The base for this diorama is a slab of inexpensive insulation styrofoam. I cut up an old hand towel and glued parts of it to the foam base for the grassy parts. I mixed school glue, acrylic paint, spackel and craft sand together and brushed it on the base in between the towel parts. I used many layers of acrylic paints to completely cover the towel fibers and then I drybrushed those sections with lighter shades of green to add texture. I used a dark brown paint to do a heavy paint wash on the patches of dirt and followed that by drybrushing them with lighter browns and tans.

Star Wars: When Ewoks Attack by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Ewok Rage by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

First Rule of War: Never go into battle without a savage clan of man-eating Muppets.

Star Wars: Battle of Endor by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Large Boulders were cut from styrofoam packing material. I painted them with black acrylic paint and then drybrushed them with light shades of grey and white.

The red, star shaped piece is a "Blast Effect" that can be attached to the barrel of a blaster to simulate muzzle flash. They were included as accessories with lots of SW figures in the first Saga line. I guess they never really caught on with collector types, but I always thought they were a neat idea and I like using them in my photos and displays sometimes.

Star Wars: Chewie and the Ewoks commandeer an Imperial AT-ST by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The leaves on the branches are from some plastic greenery that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I drybrushed each and every leaf with different shades of green and I painted the stems brown to match the tree branches.

Star Wars: Shiled Generator Assault by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

This Han Solo figure was released in the blue-carded Saga Collection and comes with a Quick-Draw action feature. You're supposed to twist his waist to the right and when you press down on the droid caller button on his left hip, he's supposed to spin back around and raise his arm as if he were drawing his pistol.

Most people complain about these gimmicky figures because they come in awkward poses and the action features don't always work right and the levers and buttons sometimes usually detract from the aesthetic of the figure. However I really like this figure in particular. He's got a really good likeness of Harrison Ford and he looks really dynamic. This is the kind of pose I want Han to be in most of the time and his action feature button and odd articulation aren't too noticable.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Star Wars: Shiled Generator Assault by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Hotwiring the Blast Door by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The Bunker was part of a small playset that was released in the POTF2 line back in the 90's. I bought this one for dirt cheap from a former SW collector a few years ago. I probably could have made one myself, but it was much easier to just use this piece instead. I hit it with some leftover grey spray paint and lightly drybrushed it with different shades of grey and silver acrylic just so it wouldn't look so much like plain old plastic.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Star Wars: I Love You by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Shield Generator Assault by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Sheild Generator Assault by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

Star Wars: Band of Brothers by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

It's mostly just part swaps and a little paint work, but I have done some modifications to some of these guys. I think every variation of Hasbro's Official Endor Rebel Soldiers are represented here.

Star Wars: Heroes of Endor by O.G.Trilogy Strikes Back, on Flickr

The tree thing in the background also came in the playset with the Bunker. It was all hollow and open in the back and had a lame-o play feature where a spring-loaded arm would knock over your action figures. I removed the spring-loaded arm and covered over the gap on the left side with clay. I filled in the back of the piece and painted it to match my other trees. I decided to leave it as a separate piece so that I could movie it around as filler in the backgound of my photos and the display. The is a ledge on the back where you can have figures stand on it if you wish.
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 am

Holy cow. The Shield Generator scene! That’s fantastic. Love the blast effects. Seriously, what camera do you use, OG?
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby O.G.Trilogy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 am

AcidDragon wrote:Holy cow. The Shield Generator scene! That’s fantastic. Love the blast effects. Seriously, what camera do you use, OG?

Thank You! The camera that I used for these is just a 12 Mega Pixel Nikon Coolpix L22. It was fairly inexpensive as far as digital cameras go. I usually take several pictures of each little scene and pick out the best ones. I just use photo editing software on windows to tweak them a little, although I'd like to learn how to use photoshop eventually. I think you can look at my photos and tell which ones are older because I've gotten better over time, but I still feel like I have a long way to go. :smgrin:
O.G.Trilogy
Partner
Partner

Postby loolar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:50 pm

OG, I love these dioramas. What a fun trip it's been checking them out - makes me want to pop the movies in right now!

But what makes them a real treat is the time you take to explain how you made them. I'd love to see some work in progress shots, or even some shots of the base materials you used (like the various foams and foam sheets), to truly appreciate the craft and ingenious creativity you've managed.
loolar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections