Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Regional Events

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Regional Events

Postby beastovjudgement » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 pm

This topic is intended to be the umbrella under which all smaller, regional conventions and events are to be. My wife and I went to Rock & Shock in Worcester, MA last night. For those unfamiliar, it is a combination horror convention and concert, spread between two venues a block apart. The convention had such guests as Robert Englund, Robert Patrick, Scott Wilson, Michael Rooker, Kane Hodder, Gunnar Hanson, and others. I ended up getting photos and autographs from none of them, as they were charging an average of $30 each. While I completely get these folks are here to get paid, that is way too much for my budget. I preferred to spend my cash on the vendor booths. I picked up a few shirts, a couple pretty decent shape Frazetta cover Eerie issues, several books, some Halloween-themed cat toys with the proceeds going to a shelter, a really cool signed print of a Pinhead painting by a local artist, and a CD copy of Goblin's soundtrack to Suspiria. The one guest I did meet and have a picture with was Jack Ketchum, one of the very best horror writers in the world. His stuff is great, but extremely harsh.

At the concert venue, we skipped most of the bands, as they were not to our taste. The headliner, Danzig, was awesome. The set was almost entirely old stuff and Misfits songs. When he did "Twist of Cain" only three songs in, I knew it was going to be killer.

So, what sorts of local genre events do any of you attend? Recommendations or admonitions for others in the area who may be thinking of checking them out would be great.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Regional Events

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 am

The Palace Theater in Syracuse runs some great films. On Friday, November 8th, they're doing a Ray Harryhausen/Godzilla triple feature, with 20 Million Miles to Earth, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and Destroy All Monsters! And the next annual Salt City Horror Fest is April 19th, 2014, and features the most insane lineup I've seen in ages...
The Invisible Man (1933)
13 Ghosts (1960)
Ernest Scared Stupid
The Lost Boys
Candyman
Halloween II (1981)
Story of Ricky
Pumpkinhead
Sleepaway Camp

There's not one of those movies I don't love dearly. Pumpkinhead and Sleepaway Camp alone would've made this amazing for me, but in the middle of a lineup that good? Also, Ernest Scared Stupid as an afternoon choice for the younger crowd that attends is particularly inspired.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby beastovjudgement » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 am

Story of Ricky on a big screen is, on its own, worth the price of admission. That is a really impressive lineup. The Godzilla/Harryhausen one looks awesome, as well. It reminds me of Creature Double Feature on WLVI 56. That was a great show. The dragon versus cyclops remains one of my favorite movie scenes to this day.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 am

Oh man, Story of Ricky. What a classic in many ways. :batlol: That's a killer lineup, SWL.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Special Events